• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#161 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 03:02 PM

ESPN: 'Damn, that should be a hit': MLB players sound off on the infield shift-- before it could disappear forever

https://www.espn.com...sappear-forever

#162 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 10:08 AM

Pretty simple solution. Learn how to hit the damn ball to the opposite field. SMDH
  • fishteacher likes this

#163 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 10:34 AM

Nice article on my favorite batter of all-time...

https://www.sandiego...hift-strikeouts

Baseball would be more enjoyable these days to my eye if more kids wanted to be Tony Gwynn.  

• jamesdean likes this

#164 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 June 2022 - 11:02 AM

Pretty simple solution. Learn how to hit the damn ball to the opposite field. SMDH

Easier said then done, but there does not seem to be any desire to teach players how to exploit the shifts.

• jamesdean likes this
@mikeghg

#165 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 June 2022 - 11:17 AM

So defensive shifts are being eliminated so that pull hitters can have more success. 

I have another great idea. Every batter gets 1 BP pitch per AB. And if a batter should get a hit or get out before using his BP pitch, he gets 2 BP pitches in his next AB, one of them must be the first pitch of that subsequent AB.

This stuff of trying to getting hitters out is killing the game. 

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#166 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,522 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:37 PM

Even the lost art of bunting done well could exploit shifts. The only way hitters seem willing to adjust is to simply try hitting it out of the park every time.

#167 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,064 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:40 PM

For anyone old enough to remember, was there much outrage when they lowered the mound in an attempt to dramatically increase offense?

#168 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:43 PM

SMDH right back at you.  

Its been common knowledge among the smartest teams that the most effective and best percentage play (per AB) is hard pulled contact in the air.  With all of the evolution that pitching has gone through, hitters have sold out to maximize contact.  Everyone throws 97+ and has a slider that looks like witchcraft.  

Playing sequenced scoring, aka stringing together hits, is such a losing strategy.  The value of 'just hit it the other way' isn't as high as trying to hit home runs.  

Banning the shift, or yelling about bunting for hits, is nonsensical.  The pitchers have such a huge advantage now, and until you fix that, this is the baseball you will see.  

• jamesdean likes this

@fuzydunlop

#169 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:43 PM

So defensive shifts are being eliminated so that pull hitters can have more success. 

I have another great idea. Every batter gets 1 BP pitch per AB. And if a batter should get a hit or get out before using his BP pitch, he gets 2 BP pitches in his next AB, one of them must be the first pitch of that subsequent AB.

This stuff of trying to getting hitters out is killing the game. 

The problem is fewer balls are being put in play, let alone hitting them where they ain't. Everything is geared to get as much loft and distance as possible, not hitting line drives and using the whole field. Hell, they used to shift on Boog Powell but he was excellent at going the other way and with power. Will we ever see another Rod Carew? Not until there's a huge shift in how these guys are taught to hit at young ages. The ones that are already here are a lost case for the most part. So, until then, enjoy the tonage of strikeouts and anemic batting averages.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#170 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:48 PM

For anyone old enough to remember, was there much outrage when they lowered the mound in an attempt to dramatically increase offense?

No, because they did that and still preserved the balance of the sport. Even when they added the DH, you still had balance. It wasn't until the steroid era that things got completely out of whack. And now it's the inverse property on display. A sport should always strive for balance because that's what makes it interesting and pleases all ranges of fans that either prefer defense or offense.
  • weird-O likes this

#171 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 08 June 2022 - 12:52 PM

I prefer watching college ball these days.  Its got so much more action.

I think moving the mound back is the only way to fix the baseball engine.

@fuzydunlop

#172 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 01:15 PM

No thanks. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#173 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 June 2022 - 06:39 PM

I prefer watching college ball these days.  Its got so much more action.

No offense, but pass on that idea.

@mikeghg

#174 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,383 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:13 PM

If I wanted to watch beer belly ball I would watch men's slowpitch softball. Learn to hit the ball where the defense isn't.

#175 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:21 PM

I was pretty young, but pitching was so dominant I think the lowering was welcomed. Also, I don't think that was a lot of standardization when it come to mound heights prior to the lowering of the mound. Sandy Koufax looked like he's throwing off the top of a mountain if you look at some of the old pictures from the 60's.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#176 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 08 June 2022 - 07:27 PM

The problem is fewer balls are being put in play, let alone hitting them where they ain't. Everything is geared to get as much loft and distance as possible, not hitting line drives and using the whole field. Hell, they used to shift on Boog Powell but he was excellent at going the other way and with power. Will we ever see another Rod Carew? Not until there's a huge shift in how these guys are taught to hit at young ages. The ones that are already here are a lost case for the most part. So, until then, enjoy the tonage of strikeouts and anemic batting averages.

Hitting was all about making adjustments. Carew was an absolute master at making adjustments. I'll admit to not reading the article. I'm against banning the shift. The only restriction on the defensive team should be having eight defenders in fair territory. It's up to the offense to figure it out. The game us not that complicated.

#177 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,574 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 11 June 2022 - 08:19 PM

Easier said then done, but there does not seem to be any desire to teach players how to exploit the shifts.

Physics isn't really your friend here. If your goal is to hit line drives and barreled fly balls then it's tough to have the swing trajectory necessary to hit the ball to all fields. If your goal is to hit ground balls and a few line drives then it becomes a little easier, but ground balls have generally low-quality outcomes.

#178 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 04:14 AM

Physics isn't really your friend here. If your goal is to hit line drives and barreled fly balls then it's tough to have the swing trajectory necessary to hit the ball to all fields. If your goal is to hit ground balls and a few line drives then it becomes a little easier, but ground balls have generally low-quality outcomes.

Point taken.

One of the negative issues with this approach is the amount of strikeouts that accompany it. MLB is constantly calling for more action.

I don't thing anyone's goal is to hit more ground balls. More line drives into gaps instead of k's would be welcomed. This can be accomplished with a different approach than the "all or nothing" approach that accompanies what you described.
  • jamesdean likes this

#179 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,887 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 12 June 2022 - 11:18 AM

Changing the fundamental structure of the game, I.e. moving the mound back, expanding the size of the bases (totally against it), starting the disallow the shifts being used, really grinds my gears.  That's the best part of the game, seeing players and coaches adjust to what's happening within it, NOT MLB stepping in and making changes to increase offense or defense/pitching, etc.  Just leave the damned game alone and let them play it.  

Learn to hit it the other way...I think Chris Davis would have batted .270 or better had he just went the other way instead of overswinging and trying to drive the ball over the wall all the time rahter than taking what the defense gives him (all players) and bunting it down the line.  When you start loading the bases or getting two runners on 2nd and 3rd consistently and scoring runs, the shift will change...just my $0.02.  Maybe I'm wrong, but leave the game itself alone!  

• jamesdean and russsnyder like this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#180 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,313 posts

Posted 12 June 2022 - 11:40 AM

Changing the fundamental structure of the game, I.e. moving the mound back, expanding the size of the bases (totally against it), starting the disallow the shifts being used, really grinds my gears.  That's the best part of the game, seeing players and coaches adjust to what's happening within it, NOT MLB stepping in and making changes to increase offense or defense/pitching, etc.  Just leave the damned game alone and let them play it.  

Learn to hit it the other way...I think Chris Davis would have batted .270 or better had he just went the other way instead of overswinging and trying to drive the ball over the wall all the time rahter than taking what the defense gives him (all players) and bunting it down the line.  When you start loading the bases or getting two runners on 2nd and 3rd consistently and scoring runs, the shift will change...just my $0.02.  Maybe I'm wrong, but leave the game itself alone!  

Couldn't agree more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=