• Please log in to reply
306 replies to this topic

#141 GaryArmida

GaryArmida

HOF

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 09:53 PM

A few really interesting rules being tested out in the Minors this year...

https://baltimorespo...-in-a-good-way/

• BSLChrisStoner and russsnyder like this
@GaryArmida

#142 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 05:44 AM

Nice article Gary.

Let me state that I think it's a huge mistake to keep the rule with starting the runner on second to begin extra innings. I'd prefer to count the games as ties if you are not going to play straight baseball. I also see no reason other than to hurt offenses to take away the universal DH. The DH is used at every level of play except the National League.

It's interesting that most of these experiments in the minors are being done to increase base hits and to bring "small ball" back into the game. I think banning shifts will have the opposite effect. Instead of trying to beat the shift by either hitting through it or away from it, hitters will continue their quest for the home run ball and strikeouts will continue to rise.

You state in your article that games are too long. I'd counter that the more action cause by more singles, stolen bases, bunts, etc. will not shorten the games. I think limiting replay ( one challenge a game per team), enforcing keeping hitters in the batters box, and cutting down on BS like walk up music before every single at bat will speed some things up.

These experiments galvanize the believe that I have that Manfred is running this game from a perspective of fear. I doubt that these changes will bring over new fans. ( Bigger Bases are a laughable idea. If you want to cut down on collisions at first, add a safety base.) All these proposals will do is have fans question ( rightly so)if baseball has a clue as to what it is doing.

• GaryArmida likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#143 GaryArmida

GaryArmida

HOF

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:47 AM

Thank you!

I completely agree about the runner on second rule. The DH is something that should've been instituted a long time ago. There's nothing exciting or good about a pitcher going up and "hit". 

You could be right...all of these changes could lead to nothing. Home runs are still a driving force. I think even MLB is trying to find a balance. Supposedly, the baseballs are less juiced. 

I think what I was meant to say was pace of play...execs feel like games slog on...strikeouts, walks and homers. The hope is that the return of singles, doubles, running would improve that. I'm totally not sure. 

The base idea?? It's the worst one of the bunch IMO. 

I'm a purist...I love the long games, the strategy so I am definitely not advocating for wholesale changes. But, I don't mind them experimenting in the Minors. Who knows? Maybe they find something. 

• russsnyder likes this
@GaryArmida

#144 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 09:40 AM

I'm a bit of a purist myself, I mean I'm just getting used to interleague play after a few decades !

You put forth the minor league experiments in an objective manner, so I didn't mean to imply that you were on board with them all.

You're correct, maybe they will find something that works.

Note to self, keep an open mind.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:42 AM

CBS Sports: MLB roundtable: Should Major League Baseball ban the infield shift?
https://www.cbssport...-infield-shift/

#146 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 30 March 2021 - 07:31 AM

Well well well look who agrees with me.

https://open.spotify...MRIibCF55wt84zQ

@fuzydunlop

#147 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 05:27 PM

FanGraphs: The Atlantic League Will Experiment Again, This Time With the Pitching Distance and DH Rule

#148 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 11:17 AM

MLB.com: Developing MLB’s Automated Ball/Strike System (ABS)

https://technology.m...bs-d4f499deff31

#149 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 13 May 2021 - 12:54 PM

Im not in agreement over banning the shift.

The shift has been around for years. Either you adjust to the shift, or it gets you out.

The current umpire situation is a joke, but not sure automation is the way to go.

#150 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:01 AM

What is worse on your elbow? Throwing fastballs, or the action to produce spin on breaking balls? I sincerely don’t know. But what I’ve been hearing is the proposal to move the mound back will make teams throw more breaking balls because the break, and gravity, will make pitches even more un-hittable. I forget who said it the other day, but there is already a minor league team that plans on throwing 80% breaking pitches.

Maybe not trying to hit 100mph will save some elbows. Maybe spinning that many breaking balls will cause problems too? I don’t know? Breaking balls are less precise, and figure in the extra break and gravity from an extra foot of travel, will that result in more walks?

I think baseball has it backwards anyway. It’s not that the pitchers are better. It’s more hitters taking an all or nothing approach, and teams are encouraging that.
@BSLMikeRandall

#151 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:03 AM

Big fan of the proposed double hook DH rule though. Emphasis on SPs staying in games longer
@BSLMikeRandall

#152 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:18 AM

Big fan of the proposed double hook DH rule though. Emphasis on SPs staying in games longer

Would’ve helped us keep Means in the game on Tuesday! But I still just prefer the universal DH.

#153 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:14 AM

Would’ve helped us keep Means in the game on Tuesday! But I still just prefer the universal DH.

Universal DH is my vote. I think at this stage, Im used to the DH and ok with it, and hate that we have 2 set of rules.

#154 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:04 AM

I’m good with that too. Universal DH, or universal no DH. Or in interleague play both teams play by their leagues rules. AL pitchers having to hit in NL parks and NL using the DH in AL parks makes no sense.

But it’s almost splitting the difference if you lose the DH for pulling your SP. I hate “openers” and “TBD” when looking up the pitching matchups being a thing.
@BSLMikeRandall

#155 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:40 AM

Universal non-DH is vomit inducing. I can’t imagine why anyone would prefer a clearly inferior rule set.

#156 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 12:18 PM

Universal non-DH is vomit inducing. I can’t imagine why anyone would prefer a clearly inferior rule set.

Half the league plays by it. Some more strategy with double switches and what not. I wouldn't prefer it if the AL went no DH. NL should get with the times for sure. But the leagues playing by different rules is stupid. The AL pitcher in a World Series game steps into the batters box, maybe for the first time since high school....in a World Series Game. 

But if they went universal no-DH, then at least the playing field is level. Maybe cleans up some of the unwritten rule stuff pertaining to bean balls and payback. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#157 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 May 2021 - 01:33 PM

I'm kinda open to a 10-man lineup with both DH and pitcher. You get the fun of someone like Nelson Cruz socking homers without needing to field and you still get the strategy of aspects of when to pinch-hit, when to bunt, etc. 

#158 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,430 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 02:10 PM

No one ever wants to see a pitcher hit. Including their own teams. How the DH has stayed out of the NL for this long is beyond me. How it wasn't universal from the jump is beyond me.
  • BobPhelan, Mackus and Mike in STL like this

#159 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 14 May 2021 - 04:19 PM

It’s like deciding to stick with using a bucket after the flushable toilet was invented.
  • Mackus and Mike in STL like this

#160 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 04:54 PM

CBS Sports: How MLB pushed back the Atlantic League mound and pushed fed-up players to the brink of a work stoppage

https://www.cbssport...-work-stoppage/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=