• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#41 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:46 AM

I agree. Valaika and Urias were both pretty bad and no one else on the roster really fits. Of course the metrics didn't love Martin in 2019 either, though his reputation said he was a good fielder I think.

Mejdal on the available public defensive metrics... and Martin. 

https://www.masnspor...hie-martin.html

• makoman likes this

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 December 2020 - 09:47 AM

I agree. Valaika and Urias were both pretty bad and no one else on the roster really fits. Of course the metrics didn't love Martin in 2019 either, though his reputation said he was a good fielder I think.

I pay very little attention to the defensive metrics.  My eyes told me Martin was pretty good at SS.  Valaikia is just not a SS.   I forgot about Urias....not sure we saw enough of him to know one way or the other.

@mikeghg

#43 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 10:09 AM

Mejdal on the available public defensive metrics... and Martin. 

https://www.masnspor...hie-martin.html

I pay very little attention to the defensive metrics.  My eyes told me Martin was pretty good at SS.  Valaikia is just not a SS.   I forgot about Urias....not sure we saw enough of him to know one way or the other.

I agree that by the eye test Martin seemed good enough to play SS to me, and Valaika did not. Interesting article Chris thanks. Would be nice for fans if we ever get some accurate defensive metrics. Statcast certainly seems better than anything we've had previously but as noted still has limitations.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:09 AM

MASN: More on Martin in shortstop competition
https://www.masnspor...ompetition.html

#45 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:54 AM

Assumed Martin would spend a big chunk of 2021 in Norfolk. I don't expect him to be a MLB starting shortstop but I wouldn't mind seeing if he can still be a contributor at some level in the big leagues. 

With Martin/McCoy as the double play combo and an outfield with McKenna and Diaz (possibly Vavra in the mix somewhere in there), the Triple-A rotation (which could consists of 5 Top 30 prospects) will have a solid defense behind them that will make an expansive Harbor Park pretty small. 

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2020 - 10:35 AM

I realize Roch's has to try to sell the company line writing for MASN, but some of his points in this article were humous.  

The first was how Hechavarria signed with the Japanese team for 975 K.  I half expected him to say that was too rich for the Orioles. :-P.

The other thing that I feel is a contradiction is why the Orioles did not pursue,Ha-Seong Kim.  His premise is signing Kim does not make sense in a rebuild.  A paragraph later, he is quoting Elias as saying he traded Iglesias because it fit his goal of building the talent level in the organization.

How is acquiring a 25 year shortstop who many in the industry really like not adding to the talent level.  Elias quote, should read increasing the talent level in the organization while cutting costs.

@mikeghg

#47 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 11:27 AM

The other thing that I feel is a contradiction is why the Orioles did not pursue, Ha-Seong Kim.  His premise is signing Kim does not make sense in a rebuild.  

I was going to post the link and let it go, but since you brought it up... I strongly disagree with Roch here. 
I think his point is you don't spend money at this point in a rebuild, but I disagree there too.  
It doesn't matter if you are not in position to win today, if the player you are obtaining could help you when you are, and the contract would cover then.  

• Mike B likes this

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:24 PM

I was going to post the link and let it go, but since you brought it up... I strongly disagree with Roch here. 
I think his point is you don't spend money at this point in a rebuild, but I disagree there too.  
It doesn't matter if you are not in position to win today, if the player you are obtaining could help you when you are, and the contract would cover then.  

That is one of the things that bugs me, with the way the Orioles are approaching the rebuild.  IMO, the Orioles are hiding behind the "rebuild" in a way to cut cost.  If we are truly trying to build the talent pipeline, we should be open to signing guys like Kim, who are young and can be with youfor at least 4-6 years.  There are free agents who can be had at a bargain rate this year, but I highly doubt we even kick the tires.

My fear is this tear down (or as I prefer, tank), goes on another year or two.   I think the goal is to have payroll under 35 M when the Davis contract clears, then start to add.  I do not want to wait another 2 years, while any veteran with value, is cut or given away, as they approach arbitration.

• 1970 likes this
@mikeghg

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:40 PM

That is one of the things that bugs me, with the way the Orioles are approaching the rebuild.  IMO, the Orioles are hiding behind the "rebuild" in a way to cut cost.  If we are truly trying to build the talent pipeline, we should be open to signing guys like Kim, who are young and can be with you for at least 4-6 years.  There are free agents who can be had at a bargain rate this year, but I highly doubt we even kick the tires.

My fear is this tear down (or as I prefer, tank), goes on another year or two.   I think the goal is to have payroll under 35 M when the Davis contract clears, then start to add.  I do not want to wait another 2 years, while any veteran with value, is cut or given away, as they approach arbitration.

I disagree there some.   Basic disagreement being that Roch's interpretation, and what the O's do going forward may or may not be the same. 

Now, the Orioles have yet to obtain a guy like Kim, so I agree there. 

I don't know that them yet obtaining a guy like Kim, means they won't do so going forward. 

If what exists here takes a step forward collectively as I believe they will in '21, I fully expect the Orioles will be ready to add prior to '22.  If they don't, I'll complain as loud as I can.

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:41 PM

Assumed Martin would spend a big chunk of 2021 in Norfolk. I don't expect him to be a MLB starting shortstop but I wouldn't mind seeing if he can still be a contributor at some level in the big leagues. 

With Martin/McCoy as the double play combo and an outfield with McKenna and Diaz (possibly Vavra in the mix somewhere in there), the Triple-A rotation (which could consists of 5 Top 30 prospects) will have a solid defense behind them that will make an expansive Harbor Park pretty small. 

If they bring someone else (Galvis?), I'm fine with Martin going to AAA.   But until that someone has been obtained, Martin makes as much sense as anyone else. 

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:48 PM

If they bring someone else (Galvis?), I'm fine with Martin going to AAA.   But until that someone has been obtained, Martin makes as much sense as anyone else. 

Jonathan Villar??  He was supposed a favorite of Brandon Hyde.

@mikeghg

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 12:53 PM

Jonathan Villar??  He was supposed a favorite of Brandon Hyde.

I like Villar.  Familiarity helps.  That would be fine.  
If they think Galvis is a better SS, that could tip to him. 

Villar's mental lapses were tough to watch at times, but he generally played hard.
His '20 was so bad, that can only help his price.  His '19 showed he could be a productive bat.

#53 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:00 PM

I like Villar.  Familiarity helps.  That would be fine.  
If they think Galvis is a better SS, that could tip to him. 

Villar's mental lapses were tough to watch at times, but he generally played hard.
His '20 was so bad, that can only help his price.  His '19 showed he could be a productive bat.

Plus both Villar and Galvis are switch hitters which helps with the lack of LH batters.

Let's be honest though, the Orioles have a small group of possibilities.  Thjey will likely wait for the market to play out and choose from what is left and take the player who is willing to take what they want to pay.

@mikeghg

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:18 PM

Zero reason to give a KBO bat that much money. They all stink.

#55 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:22 PM

Apparently Villar hasn't been a wanted piece since leaving the Orioles. Both the Marlins and Jays had issues with his attitude and didn't want him around. 

Considering the options available and the current game plan in Baltimore, I want Galvis. Great defender who should be able to easily hit 20+ home runs and 25-30 doubles in Baltimore. 

• Mike B likes this
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#56 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 December 2020 - 08:58 PM

Apparently Villar hasn't been a wanted piece since leaving the Orioles. Both the Marlins and Jays had issues with his attitude and didn't want him around. 

Considering the options available and the current game plan in Baltimore, I want Galvis. Great defender who should be able to easily hit 20+ home runs and 25-30 doubles in Baltimore. 

Interesting, Hyde raved about FV when he was traded.  Maybe putting a good face on the trade.

Is Galvis still a plus defender at SS?

@mikeghg

#57 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 07:44 AM

Watched a lot of him in 2018 when he was in San Diego and he was a gem in the field. Baseball Savant rated him within the top 5 of defensive shortstops from 2018-2019, FanGraphs was lower on him (10-15 range) but something happened in 2020 where he just fell off. He's been so reliable for so long that I'm fine with writing that off as just 2020, bringing him in on a one-year deal and then maybe...just maybe...they go after one of the 5-6 studs who will be on the market next winter.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#58 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

Mike Elias said SS Richie Martin has broken the hamate bone in his left hand -- different form 2020 injury -- he is having surgery in Sarasota. Will be a late start to spring, sometime in March. Should be OK for season. They found out after the Galvis signing, Elias said.

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 January 2021 - 12:41 PM

Sucks that Martin can not stay healthy.

As long as he is ready by July in case the Orioles trade Galvis, it should not be a big deal.

@mikeghg

#60 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:46 PM

Back in the majors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors