#21 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

My wife travels to Hudson, WI regularly for work. She'll be there the end of April and the O's play the Twins that weekend. Thinking of going for the weekend to catch a game. Depends on the cost of some work we need done on my wife's car, but it should be a pretty inexpensive weekend. Anyone ever been to a Twins game? Recommendations on bars or restaurants in downtown Minneapolis?

Lots of hipster dive bars and breweries in Minneapolis

I've never been but I hear Manny's Steakhouse is great.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#22 BrandonWarne

BrandonWarne

HOF

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

My wife travels to Hudson, WI regularly for work. She'll be there the end of April and the O's play the Twins that weekend. Thinking of going for the weekend to catch a game. Depends on the cost of some work we need done on my wife's car, but it should be a pretty inexpensive weekend. Anyone ever been to a Twins game? Recommendations on bars or restaurants in downtown Minneapolis?

The surrounding area has a bunch of bars and places to eat. Depends on what you like. I'd recommend Pizza Luce, Butcher and the Boar, and as far as bars go, The Loon.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#23 BrandonWarne

BrandonWarne

HOF

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, Minn.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:13 AM

Lots of hipster dive bars and breweries in Minneapolis

I've never been but I hear Manny's Steakhouse is great.

Never been to Manny's but Murray's is terrific. 

#24 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

I didn't visit Napa proper, just the Napa Valley.

Good call, I wish I had done the same. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#25 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 01:48 PM

The surrounding area has a bunch of bars and places to eat. Depends on what you like. I'd recommend Pizza Luce, Butcher and the Boar, and as far as bars go, The Loon.

Probably going to be staying downtown since it's just for the weekend and the game will take up most of Saturday.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#26 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:19 PM

We went to Napa last fall. It was the worst vacation of my life. One of those situations where everything goes wrong. That's not entirely a reflection of Napa, but some of it is. If your trip will include staying overnight, my one piece of advice would be do NOT stay in the town of Napa. It's not the slow paced, small town it's reputation would have you believe.  

...I would like to hear more, if that's ok.

#27 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 March 2019 - 02:24 PM

...I would like to hear more, if that's ok.

I'm not sure how much to share. We flew into SF (standard practice), and rented a car. We drove into SF to catch a Giants Sat day game. We waiting in stadium traffic for nearly two hours, and finally decided to bail on the game, which was already well under way by then. We got onto the freeway to head north, and it was a parking lot. It took about 3 hours to get into Napa. We stayed at the Blackbird Inn. It looked good on line. When we got there, we discovered just how congested with traffic that town is. It wasn't tourist traffic, it was regular everyday traffic that was a constant source of noise and exhaust fumes. The city was having a beer festival in the restaurant/bar district. It was the opposite of what we went there for. They had bands playing, people screaming into mics, the streets were packed with people and very little room for all the bodies to move around.  

We ate our first meal of the day at 4:00 (7:00 our time) Gott's roadside. Not the original in St. Helena, but the one in Napa proper. It was delicious, but I don't know if it was the burger, or my starvation. It was out of the way of the festival, so we were able to get in. Later that night, we ate chips and cookies for dinner, rather than brave that damn party in the streets. The next day we ventured out to some wineries. For the most part, the speed limit was 30 mph on the back roads between vineyards. I started off staying close to the speed limit, because it was vacation, and I was in a relaxed state of mind that comes with no appointments or deadlines. The whole trip, I had people up my ass, flashing their lights and honking for me to get off the road. This persisted, even after I upped my general speed to around 60 mph. I'm not naive to California drivers. I've been to Cali many times. So I knew to expect the freeway tension. But I didn't expect to see that attitude on tiny, curvy back roads.  

When we go wine tasting in Charlottesville, all the wineries are eager to suggest other vintners. In Napa, they must be way more competitive. Whenever I asked if there was a "don't miss" place, they all said something like, "no, you're here, there's no other winery worth stopping at". The exception was Raymond. Everything about that place was cool. The people, the wine, the many tasting rooms/experiences, that was a highlight. We took a trip on the Napa Wine Train. Everything looks so picturesque on their site. But the truth is, the tracks run along a highway. We cut our trip short and came home early, it was just not what we expected.

Like I mentioned earlier, not all of this is the fault of Napa. But when you combine the unfortunate traffic situations, with the bad timing of the street festival, and the things like shitty attitudes and impatient drivers, it was a vacation fail.     

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#28 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 09:00 AM

WOW airlines is no more.

https://www.baltimor...0328-story.html

#29 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:13 AM

Any NO restaurants/things-to-do recommendations? I'm sure my brother has a lot planned already for next week, but I know a lot of you guys have been there. 

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:18 AM

https://www.baltimor...tions/?p=788086

• Chris B likes this

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

Going to Hilton Head next Month...   anyone been? 

Don't golf...  but restaurant / bar recommendations welcomed!

#32 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,752 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 22 May 2019 - 06:17 PM

Burlington VT for a marathon and extended weekend with the Family this coming weekend.

Camping out in Western, MD in June

Emerald Isle (blah) with the inlaws in July

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

My inlaws have started going every year, they really like it. They play a lot of golf and do the beach.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

OBX in July and August.

Haven't set the date yet but have a week in Costa Rica on the beach. Looks gorgeous.

@JeremyMStrain

#35 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 May 2019 - 07:48 PM

Buffalo/Toronto early July. Atlanta/Athens late September for Notre Dame vs UGA. Seattle in October for Ravens Seahawks.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

My aunt has a place down there. They love it there.

Only an hour from Savannah too...could see some of the history if you wanted.

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,332 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 08:10 PM

My aunt has a place down there. They love it there.

Only an hour from Savannah too...could see some of the history if you wanted.

Considering making that drive. Always hear great things about Savannah. 

#38 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 22 May 2019 - 09:45 PM

Savannah is awesome. Definitely check it out if you’re nearby.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:36 PM

One thing we're doing this summer is a North and South Dakota loop from Minneapolis, where we are attending a wedding. We'll mostly be visiting national parks and monuments.

I know those aren't well traveled parts, but does anyone have any suggestions?

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 23 May 2019 - 03:38 PM

Considering making that drive. Always hear great things about Savannah. 

There is some civil unrest going on there right now but as long as that’s not an issue for you, you should love visiting there based on things I have read and heard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=