• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:47 AM

Didn't the NCAA pass the rule 2 years ago if you hire a HS coach, that you cant sign anyone from that HS

for 2 years.....so if any DM or SFA coaches jump, they should jump after signing day but then that means

you cant sign any kids from DM or SFA classes of 2020 and 2021

I thought the rule was for non-field coaches. Meaning if Brooks joined as RB coach you could still recruit DeMatha. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:48 AM

Didn't the NCAA pass the rule 2 years ago if you hire a HS coach, that you cant sign anyone from that HS

for 2 years.....so if any DM or SFA coaches jump, they should jump after signing day but then that means

you cant sign any kids from DM or SFA classes of 2020 and 2021

I dunno, that'd be news to me, but I can't imagine that a rule like that could stick. You are effectively controlling a coaches ability to get a job by putting restrictions like that in place. Can't cut into federal employment laws like that.

@JeremyMStrain

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

I don't think Poggi leaves St Frances, considering he bankrolls nearly their entire football program. He obviously would not be allowed to keep funding them if he became a college coach.

He did go to Michigan for a year.  

@mikeghg

#24 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:46 PM

Non field coaches is 2  years before and 2 years after enrollment

Field coaches 2 years after hiring.

Don't know if any changes have been made to the rule

#25 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

But no Gilman or SFA players have gone there in 2017 or 2018.

#26 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

went back and read the NCAA rule

Brooks can be hired as a position coach and all is well. He can not be hired as an non positional coach such as analysts or recruiting personnel, if hired in that position then there would be a 2 year non recruitment of the coaches HS

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:26 PM

He did go to Michigan for a year.  

He left Gilman. Gilman has enough money to fund its football program.

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:27 PM

I thought the rule was for non-field coaches. Meaning if Brooks joined as RB coach you could still recruit DeMatha. 

Pretty sure you are correct.

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

Butch Jones, former Tennessee HC and an offensive analyst at Alabama this past season, is supposedly in College Park today meeting with Locksley about a position as an assistant (not OC) and the Associate Head Coach job.

https://thespun.com/...istant-position

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#30 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:24 PM

Butch Jones, former Tennessee HC and an offensive analyst at Alabama this past season, is supposedly in College Park today meeting with Locksley about a position as an assistant (not OC) and the Associate Head Coach job.

Sounds like it'd be a similar position to the one Dan Enos held at Alabama this year, though Enos also coached the QBs and Jones has never been a QBs coach.

@BSLZackKiesel

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

Sounds like it'd be a similar position to the one Dan Enos held at Alabama this year, though Enos also coached the QBs and Jones has never been a QBs coach.

Could be a nice short-term hire.

#32 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

Apparently Tee Martin is a candidate to join the staff too, as OC. Not sure what Locksley's Tennessee fixation is.

(EDIT: Forgot that Martin was the QB coach 1 season with Locksley at New Mexico. I'll go out on a limb and guess he wasn't the one on the other end of a Locksley right hook.)

https://www.saturday...coaching-staff/

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:46 PM

I guess it's not official yet, but looks like Cory Robinson is coming back to UM as Locksley's first hire. His role is unknown at this point, but he coached DB's and was the passing game coordinator at Rutgers last season (weird combo of duties there). He was on the MD staff in 2015. Before that he coached at St. Frances, so even though that was before Poggi got there maybe he still has some relationships he can leverage to land more of their players.

https://www.nj.com/r...ence-rival.html

Hopefully this means they can still keep Aazaar, maybe as the DC. I'd really hate to lose him. I think it's overlooked when talking about what a great recruiter he is how successful he has been coaching DBs. Lots of guys in the NFL right now that have his fingerprints on some stage of their development; either when he was at Friendship or instructing at clinics, to the two seasons at Alabama and now UM.

#34 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:20 AM

Butch Jones hired by MD:

https://www.knoxnews...ley/2273978002/

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 December 2018 - 08:58 AM

Butch Jones hired by MD:

https://www.knoxnews...ley/2273978002/

Tennessee is still paying him through 2021, so he may be cheap, at least :P

@DJ_McCann

#36 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

IMS: Two More to Join Locksley's Staff

John Papuchis - Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers Coach (former North Carolina defensive coordinator)

Cory Robinson - Defensive Backs Coach (former Rutgers cornerbacks coach/passing game coordinator)

• clapdiddy likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#37 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 12:06 PM

Too me, a real good sign that Locks is getting busy.

I was concerned Saban was going to restrict his time, given the fact they are playing for the National Championship.

To me the next 5 weeks are very important for Md. and Locksley.    Last minute recruits, and staffing  seemingly is getting done.

@mikeghg

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:51 PM

Too me, a real good sign that Locks is getting busy.

I was concerned Saban was going to restrict his time, given the fact they are playing for the National Championship.

To me the next 5 weeks are very important for Md. and Locksley.    Last minute recruits, and staffing  seemingly is getting done.

He's only in MD until Friday, then he goes back to Tuscaloosa, presumably until Alabama's season is over. I didn't need another reason to root for Oklahoma, but nice to know I have one.

#39 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,513 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:54 PM

I'm betting MD will at least have to top the $35,000 Alabama paid him this season. But probably not by much. I forget what London got his one season at UM, but it was a drop in the bucket compared to what UVA was still paying him.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 04:01 PM

I'm betting MD will at least have to top the $35,000 Alabama paid him this season. But probably not by much. I forget what London got his one season at UM, but it was a drop in the bucket compared to what UVA was still paying him.

It's part of what makes him an attractive hire. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=