133 replies to this topic

#1 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:51 AM

Thought this should have its own discussion thread. With everything official as far as Locksley himself, this takes center stage, along with trying to salvage a recruiting class in less than two weeks.

One piece of news that could have an impact on MD is that Hugh Freeze will be the next HC at Liberty University. There was some thought that Freeze would have been a top candidate to replace Locksley at Alabama as Saban's latest OC/Reclamation Project (Saban tried to hire him last year, but the SEC wouldn't allow it). With Freeze out of the picture, Alabama WR coach Josh Gattis would seem to be the top candidate, who some were saying Locksley could have tried to bring with him to MD (Gattis is also a candidate for the head job at Appalachian St., so he was probably never that close to coming to UM).

It also seems that Elijah Brooks' name is popping up again as being ready to jump from DeMatha to the college level. Having him on staff working with RBs could bode very well for MD in ensuring McFarland sticks around (not that I've heard anywhere that he's considering a transfer) and just as importantly landing Marshawn Lloyd in 2020.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#2 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:00 PM

Thought this should have its own discussion thread. With everything official as far as Locksley himself, this takes center stage, along with trying to salvage a recruiting class in less than two weeks.

One piece of news that could have an impact on MD is that Hugh Freeze will be the next HC at Liberty University. There was some thought that Freeze would have been a top candidate to replace Locksley at Alabama as Saban's latest OC/Reclamation Project (Saban tried to hire him last year, but the SEC wouldn't allow it). With Freeze out of the picture, Alabama WR coach Josh Gattis would seem to be the top candidate, who some were saying Locksley could have tried to bring with him to MD (Gattis is also a candidate for the head job at Appalachian St., so he was probably never that close to coming to UM).

It also seems that Elijah Brooks' name is popping up again as being ready to jump from DeMatha to the college level. Having him on staff working with RBs could bode very well for MD in ensuring McFarland sticks around (not that I've heard anywhere that he's considering a transfer) and just as importantly landing Marshawn Lloyd in 2020.

RB is one of the few positions I could see them retaining their coach. Jordan is the coach there, Mcfarland and others have spoken very highly of him, and Jordan was a BEAST back when he was at MD. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brooks end up here in SOME capacity, but then again, is it better to be an assistant on a college program or the head guy at one of the best HS in the country? I don't know that it's a step UP for him necessarily.

I know a LOT of former players have been asking to be on his staff though, should be interesting.

How about Steve Suter for special teams coach? EJ Henderson to coach LB? Shawn Merriman?

@JeremyMStrain

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:12 PM

RB is one of the few positions I could see them retaining their coach. Jordan is the coach there, Mcfarland and others have spoken very highly of him, and Jordan was a BEAST back when he was at MD. Wouldn't be surprised to see Brooks end up here in SOME capacity, but then again, is it better to be an assistant on a college program or the head guy at one of the best HS in the country? I don't know that it's a step UP for him necessarily.

I know a LOT of former players have been asking to be on his staff though, should be interesting.

How about Steve Suter for special teams coach? EJ Henderson to coach LB? Shawn Merriman?

I think you might be confusing Jafar with Lamont.  ;)

I have also read that Jafar would seem likely to stick, as well as Chuck Heater and (hopefully) AAR.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,357 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:15 PM

Brooks' name was popping up when Durkin was forming his staff in 2016. Would obviously be a huge pickup if Locksley could pull it off, and would only strengthen that DeMatha pipeline.

@BSLZackKiesel

#5 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:21 PM

I have also read that Jafar would seem likely to stick, as well as Chuck Heater and (hopefully) AAR.

Speaking of LaMont though, he was great on the radio this year IMO.  Honest and insightful (he killed our secondary for not getting their heads turned on deep balls - and he was right).  I hope he's back next year.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:00 PM

Maybe, there was a tweet a couple weeks ago that said the #1 and #2 all time single game rushers were on the field together, and tagged CoachJordan, so I assumed it was Lamont (knowing he was #1 on the list, I watched that game live). Easily confused.

@JeremyMStrain

#7 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 01:39 PM

Maybe, there was a tweet a couple weeks ago that said the #1 and #2 all time single game rushers were on the field together, and tagged CoachJordan, so I assumed it was Lamont (knowing he was #1 on the list, I watched that game live). Easily confused.

Lamont was probably on the field at the time talking to McFarland, as glenn indicated he does work as an analyst for the games on radio. His Twitter handle says CoachJordan, but I'm not sure why. He doesn't serve as a coach at UM in any official capacity, and I thought he was usually running a restaurant he owns when not calling the games. Maybe he's coaching some HS ball or something like that.

I watched that LJ game too. Can't believe the Terps ended up losing. Ah the Vanderlinden years....lots of wasted talent.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:27 PM

The only coaches worth keeping if possible are Abdul-Rahim, and Beatty.

Good chance you lose both to taking HC opportunities at small programs.  I'd be offering promotions and $ to try and convince them to stay.

Rutgers' Cory Robinson (from Baltimore) probably joins in some capacity.

St. Frances' Biff Poggi and Henry Russell also rumored. Maybe more 'Advisor' types vs. Coaches.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:33 PM

As for former players who could be Coaches... some names...

https://en.wikipedia...football_people

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:34 PM

Brooks' name was popping up when Durkin was forming his staff in 2016. Would obviously be a huge pickup if Locksley could pull it off, and would only strengthen that DeMatha pipeline.

If he wants to make the jump, now is the time.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, as has been stated, LaMont did radio this work....   there has been some talk of him wanting to coach though.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:35 PM

Gattis and Larry Johnson would have been cool, but didn't think that was likely.  Johnson not happening, and Gattis probably not either.

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:00 PM

St. Frances' Biff Poggi and Henry Russell also rumored. Maybe more 'Advisor' types vs. Coaches.

I don't think Poggi leaves St Frances, considering he bankrolls nearly their entire football program. He obviously would not be allowed to keep funding them if he became a college coach.

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

Lamont was probably on the field at the time talking to McFarland, as glenn indicated he does work as an analyst for the games on radio. His Twitter handle says CoachJordan, but I'm not sure why. He doesn't serve as a coach at UM in any official capacity, and I thought he was usually running a restaurant he owns when not calling the games. Maybe he's coaching some HS ball or something like that.

I watched that LJ game too. Can't believe the Terps ended up losing. Ah the Vanderlinden years....lots of wasted talent.

Yeah makes sense. Crazy coincidence but I guess that's what I get for connecting dots.

Hell, bring him in to be RB coach :) I know he has that spot that was on DDD, but after that it's gotta be big enough he doesn't have to work there anymore.

Ugh, worst era ever. I can't believe some of the players they churned out in that period, but then you see all the NFL players on that Orange Bowl roster and it's like OH, that's what a difference in recruiting makes.

@JeremyMStrain

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:07 PM

If he wants to make the jump, now is the time.

Him for the DM connection. Then you've got Stefon Diggs to leverage as a Good Counsel connection (he and Locks were tight I heard), it's why his little brother went down there.

I'd put money down that Byron Westbrook is one of the people that reached out about coming in to coach under Locks. He's from the area, went to Salisbury, not MD, but he's been coaching Bladensburg's football team, and I'm sure jumping up to college from there is on his radar right now.

@JeremyMStrain

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:14 PM

Yeah makes sense. Crazy coincidence but I guess that's what I get for connecting dots.

Hell, bring him in to be RB coach :) I know he has that spot that was on DDD, but after that it's gotta be big enough he doesn't have to work there anymore.

Ugh, worst era ever. I can't believe some of the players they churned out in that period, but then you see all the NFL players on that Orange Bowl roster and it's like OH, that's what a difference in recruiting makes.

Sounds like Locksley might want to keep Jafar Williams, they do have a connection from being part of the 2001-02 teams. Locksley sure did well with RBs at MD when he coached the position there. Lamont Jordan, Bruce Perry....hell, a guy named Chris Downs had a 1,000 yard season under his tutelage.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:05 PM

Sounds like Locksley might want to keep Jafar Williams, they do have a connection from being part of the 2001-02 teams. Locksley sure did well with RBs at MD when he coached the position there. Lamont Jordan, Bruce Perry....hell, a guy named Chris Downs had a 1,000 yard season under his tutelage.

Yeah I'm sure he'll make a good call there, somehow I think McFarland might actually get BETTER here...which is scary.

@JeremyMStrain

#18 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:10 PM

Yeah I'm sure he'll make a good call there, somehow I think McFarland might actually get BETTER here...which is scary.

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if next season is his last with the program, which is another reason why he'd be unlikely to transfer...makes no sense to sit out a year if you are an NFL prospect who is one season away from draft eligibility.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 04:16 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if next season is his last with the program, which is another reason why he'd be unlikely to transfer...makes no sense to sit out a year if you are an NFL prospect who is one season away from draft eligibility.

Yeah he's not going anywhere. He's in it for HIS endgame which is the NFL and right now he's already on a lot of radars. Just keep grinding it out and he will be sitting pretty. Would help if they had a big year next year though. A couple big games against big teams could really boost his draft stock.

@JeremyMStrain

#20 araiderfan

araiderfan
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:43 AM

Didn't the NCAA pass the rule 2 years ago if you hire a HS coach, that you cant sign anyone from that HS

for 2 years.....so if any DM or SFA coaches jump, they should jump after signing day but then that means

you cant sign any kids from DM or SFA classes of 2020 and 2021

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=