• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#21 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 15 November 2018 - 09:17 PM

Gonna be a damn good hoops year

Yeah it is. MIAA and City leagues will be stacked, from top to bottom this year.

#22 loco09

loco09
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:47 PM

Anyone else hear a rumor of Bishop Walsh joining the BCL next year? A bit of a trek to Cumberland but I guess not totally unfathomable. 

#23 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 November 2018 - 03:44 PM

Anyone else hear a rumor of Bishop Walsh joining the BCL next year? A bit of a trek to Cumberland but I guess not totally unfathomable.

It would make sense. BW has about 10 transfers this season including Virginia Tech commitment Yavuz Gultekin, formerly of John Carroll HS. Walsh has a pretty ambitious schedule and won’t be an automatic win in the Alhambra Invitational this upcoming March. The weather in Western MD during the winter would be the only concern.

#24 loco09

loco09
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 02:01 PM

How are teams looking in their scrimmages so far? Any surprises? I know MSJ and SFA have looked solid so far, SFA was against a smaller Gerstell though so probably not a ton to learn from it. I know Bishop Walsh scrimmaged Paul VI in Fairfax but didn't hear how it went. 

#25 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:21 AM

Heard Prep Hoops released their initial Top 10 for the Bmore area:

1.SFA
2.MSJ
3.Poly
4.Patterson
5.Dulaney
6.Boys Latin
7.New Town
8.Gilman
9.AACS
10.City

Try to tell you Guru, this Gilman squad is LOADED! Personally, I think they’re like 6th in the area, talent wise. We will see just how good they are right now, they play a monster in Georgetown Prep next week to start the season.

#26 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:28 AM

Good list Gilman may fluctuate between 5 and 10 all year

#27 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:51 AM

Heard Prep Hoops released their initial Top 10 for the Bmore area:

1.SFA
2.MSJ
3.Poly
4.Patterson
5.Dulaney
6.Boys Latin
7.New Town
8.Gilman
9.AACS
10.City

Try to tell you Guru, this Gilman squad is LOADED! Personally, I think they’re like 6th in the area, talent wise. We will see just how good they are right now, they play a monster in Georgetown Prep next week to start the season.

Georgetown Prep is no monster. They’re ranked 17th in Prep Hoop’s DMV Top 30 but when have they ever been great in basketball? Play a local team like Parkville or New Town and Gilman would probably lose badly. Lol!

If you switch, MSJ & Poly then my top 5 is the same as Prep Hoops. I’m just not sold on Gilman, for obvious reasons.😎

#28 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

How are teams looking in their scrimmages so far? Any surprises? I know MSJ and SFA have looked solid so far, SFA was against a smaller Gerstell though so probably not a ton to learn from it. I know Bishop Walsh scrimmaged Paul VI in Fairfax but didn't hear how it went.

I read that Paul VI & BW played starters for 4 of 5 “quarters” & Paul VI was the better team. BW played well though considering their team full of transfers is still getting to know each other. As I said earlier in this thread, BW won’t be anybody’s first round flunky at the Alhambra next March.
  • loco09 likes this

#29 loco09

loco09
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:10 AM

Prep Hoops DMV Top 30

DEMATHA (MD)

PAUL VI (VA)

WOODROW WILSON (DC)

ST. FRANCES (MD)

GONZAGA (DC)   

MOUNT ST. JOSEPH (MD)   

BISHOP O’CONNELL (VA)

ST. JOHN’S (DC)

ST. MARIA GORETTI (MD)  

10 POLY (MD)

11 BISHOP WALSH (MD)

12 EPISCOPAL (VA)

13 ST. STEPHEN’S ST. AGNES (VA)

14 BULLIS (MD)

15 ELEANOR ROOSEVELT (MD)

16 BOWIE (MD)

17 GEORGETOWN PREP (MD)   

18 BOYS’ LATIN (MD)

19 MARET (DC)

20 FLINT HILL (VA)

21 NATIONAL CHRISTIAN (MD)

22 VIRGINIA ACADEMY (VA)

23 WEST NOTTINGHAM (MD)

24 GAITHERSBURG (MD)

25 DULANEY (MD)

26 RICHARD MONTGOMERY (MD)

27 ST. CHARLES (MD)

28 W.T. WOODSON (VA)

29 BETHESDA CHEVY-CHASE (MD)

30 SIDWELL FRIENDS (DC)

#30 loco09

loco09
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:21 AM

I read that Paul VI & BW played starters for 4 of 5 “quarters” & Paul VI was the better team. BW played well though considering their team full of transfers is still getting to know each other. As I said earlier in this thread, BW won’t be anybody’s first round flunky at the Alhambra next March.

Thanks for the update. PVI is a Top 10-15 team nationally so it's encouraging to see BW play well at least in spurts. They have a very challenging schedule for a first year program including Oak Hill, LaLumiere, Sunrise Chritian, and Wasatch Academy who are all Top 30 nationally. BW and Goretti have played for years but that could become a nice rivalry of the western schools especially if BW would join the BCL as both schools have elevated their programs recently. 

#31 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:21 AM

Georgetown Prep is no monster. They’re ranked 17th in Prep Hoop’s DMV Top 30 but when have they ever been great in basketball? Play a local team like Parkville or New Town and Gilman would probably lose badly. Lol!
If you switch, MSJ & Poly then my top 5 is the same as Prep Hoops. I’m just not sold on Gilman, for obvious reasons.

You’re a Gilman hater, that’s why. Gilman was one of the best teams in the area in the summer and fall leagues. Beating Poly and New Town. Don’t know much about what Parkville has, can’t speak on them.

Prep has had some great teams. Led by Markel Starks and Roy Hibbert over the years. FYI, there are only three teams in the Baltimore area ranked ahead of Prep. If Gilman beats them, or has a close game, that will tell you they’re for real.

#32 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:25 AM

Good list Gilman may fluctuate between 5 and 10 all year

It will all come down to coaching this year. Last year, the coach had a rough start and played WAY TOO MANY kids, but he did much better by the end of the year. He has a wealth of talent this year, so hopefully he figures out the right combinations early!

#33 Ojielo

Ojielo
  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:39 PM

I am assuming New Town has picked up a few pieces during the off season.  Also, I do not see Dundalk (who returns the entire team, minus one).   

Marine Corps Sniper...One Shot One Kill

#34 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 01:43 PM

I am assuming New Town has picked up a few pieces during the off season. Also, I do not see Dundalk (who returns the entire team, minus one).

Dundalk team is solid it’s gonna come down to the guard play

#35 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

BL lost to Goretti 60-56 yesterday in their opener.

#36 loco09

loco09
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

Goretti rolled Calvert Hall 67-31 in Hagerstown to start off BCL play. 

#37 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

C Hall might not win a game
  • bob12345 likes this

#38 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

Goretti rolled Calvert Hall 67-31 in Hagerstown to start off BCL play. 

WOW!!! That’s just amazing. How the mighty have fallen.

#39 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:49 PM

WOW!!! That’s just amazing. How the mighty have fallen.

Calvert Hall has always had poor seasons here and there before and always returned to relevancy. Bauersfeld and the experience kids had playing for him lately ran off some talented players in Lewis, McNeil and Tilghman. I don’t know if the new coach and his assistants have any relationships with Teams Melo, Thrill or BBC. CHC may be in for a long rebuild if not.

#40 loco09

loco09
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 November 2018 - 12:55 PM

Logan Curtis had 20 of the 31 for CHC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=