2018-19 Baltimore & D.C. Metro Areas Basketball Thread

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#61 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:00 PM

That would be music to my ears. Lol! I’m sorry that you didn’t get that big affirming win that you were seeking. Wait a minute. No I’m not! Lmao! CHC will more than likely have a poor season, but I have some hope at least when they play Gilman.

No, Gilman will blow CHC out. Gilman’s season will revolve around the health of Chase Drew. I think they need to not play him for a while, if it’s something that will heal without surgery. His injury reminded me of a guy from college during my time. Great player, but had a broken shin. Could either play through it, or have the surgery and sit out the year. He tried to play through it, but just couldn’t. Drew has a sleeve on his shin, kid probably needs surgery. I assume that he doesn’t want to do that and sit out his senior season.

#62 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:03 PM

I was just messing with you GA. Btw, Antonio Hamlin had 13 points in MSJ’s BCL opener against John Carroll.

John Carroll is worse than CHC. Hamlin is very good, but has a much lower ceiling than Winbourne. Winbourne will probably grow to 6’5-6’6. I don’t see Hamlin getting over 6’1. He’s a power guard and great passer. Winbourne, is a scorer and lights out shooter.

#63 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

John Carroll is worse than CHC. Hamlin is very good, but has a much lower ceiling than Winbourne. Winbourne will probably grow to 6’5-6’6. I don’t see Hamlin getting over 6’1. He’s a power guard and great passer. Winbourne, is a scorer and lights out shooter.

I remember you pumping up Evan Winchester and the guy that had several knee injuries (Cooper or Duncan) when they were freshman, too. Winchester went mid-major but he and the others didn’t dominate the MIAA like you said they would. I doubt these guys will either.

#64 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 05:08 PM

Winbourne could turn out like Missouri if your hype machine continues to be off the mark.

#65 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:50 PM

Winbourne could turn out like Missouri if your hype machine continues to be off the mark.

No!! Winbourne is much better than Missouri, NOW! I never hyped Missouri, just don’t see it at all. He might be a pick up basketball king, but can’t play under the lights. Plenty of dudes are like that. Winbourne is special. There’s a reason he has high D1 offers before he ever played a minute of Varsity basketball.

Gilman should be starting Rucker, Missouri, Matt Copper, Drew and Winbourne. Jordan Foster should be the first kid off the bench or starting, and bring Winbourne in as 6th man. Play Rayuan Lane as backup PG. Only play the Jamaican kid in spots. They literally tried to run plays for him yesterday in the post, and was a turnover every time! In fact, he probably shouldn’t be playing. They have two young big kids who were better and didn’t look scared out there. I hate this seniority crap that Gilman employs in sports. That’s how you lose.

It was their first game, against a very good team that already had a game under their belts. Let’s see what they do tomorrow. Think they play St. Paul’s.

#66 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 02:29 PM

No!! Winbourne is much better than Missouri, NOW! I never hyped Missouri, just don’t see it at all. He might be a pick up basketball king, but can’t play under the lights. Plenty of dudes are like that. Winbourne is special. There’s a reason he has high D1 offers before he ever played a minute of Varsity basketball.

Gilman should be starting Rucker, Missouri, Matt Copper, Drew and Winbourne. Jordan Foster should be the first kid off the bench or starting, and bring Winbourne in as 6th man. Play Rayuan Lane as backup PG. Only play the Jamaican kid in spots. They literally tried to run plays for him yesterday in the post, and was a turnover every time! In fact, he probably shouldn’t be playing. They have two young big kids who were better and didn’t look scared out there. I hate this seniority crap that Gilman employs in sports. That’s how you lose.

It was their first game, against a very good team that already had a game under their belts. Let’s see what they do tomorrow. Think they play St. Paul’s.

Ziggy Reid of SP’s could put up 35 on Gilman. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for it.

#67 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 07:38 PM

Ziggy Reid of SP’s could put up 35 on Gilman. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for it.

Gilman won 65-51. This Gilman coach man, he’s ridiculous. He again played 11 players by the start of the 2nd quarter. I’ve never seen that in area basketball. St. Paul’s played 7 the whole game until garbage time. How can any player get into a rhythm? The most rhythm sport there is. They’re deep, but you just have to hurt some kids feelings. They were up by 23 mid way through the third and then he takes everybody out. I’m just hoping he’s just playing with lineups and finding the right fit.

Rucker led them with 17 and Foster had 13. The young kid Winbourne was in foul play trouble the whole game, only had 7. But I can say this pretty safely, he’s the best frosh I’ve seen at Gilman in quite sometime. About 6’2, as skilled as it gets. Jumper, handles, everything. Man, I’m starting to feel bad for Missouri. He has lost all confidence. The coach isn’t helping with the rotation. He didn’t score a point!!

If he goes into league play playing 11 kids in a half, they will not make playoffs. They play West Nottingham tomorrow. Have no clue how good this team is, just know they beat Concordia Prep by 60 today.

#68 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:36 PM

GH with all your knowledge you should really coach.

#69 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 08:47 PM

GH with all your knowledge you should really coach.

I live a pretty amazing life, I would be the worst coach in history! But, I know the game very very well.

#70 Genius Movement

Genius Movement
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 10:32 PM

Then you should be a consultant and a scout

#71 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 11:04 PM

Then you should be a consultant and a scout

Stop it, you know me better than that. I don’t want to scout or consult any team.

#72 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

Gilman won 65-51. This Gilman coach man, he’s ridiculous. He again played 11 players by the start of the 2nd quarter. I’ve never seen that in area basketball. St. Paul’s played 7 the whole game until garbage time. How can any player get into a rhythm? The most rhythm sport there is. They’re deep, but you just have to hurt some kids feelings. They were up by 23 mid way through the third and then he takes everybody out. I’m just hoping he’s just playing with lineups and finding the right fit.

Rucker led them with 17 and Foster had 13. The young kid Winbourne was in foul play trouble the whole game, only had 7. But I can say this pretty safely, he’s the best frosh I’ve seen at Gilman in quite sometime. About 6’2, as skilled as it gets. Jumper, handles, everything. Man, I’m starting to feel bad for Missouri. He has lost all confidence. The coach isn’t helping with the rotation. He didn’t score a point!!

If he goes into league play playing 11 kids in a half, they will not make playoffs. They play West Nottingham tomorrow. Have no clue how good this team is, just know they beat Concordia Prep by 60 today.

West Nottingham is a prep school up in Cecil County that went 19-13 last season. They are a United Nations team with players from the Netherlands, Ukraine, Lithuania, England & France. Eight of their players are transfers.

The Rams play an upgraded schedule this season with games against Mt. Zion Prep, Haverford, Hun School (NJ), Westtown (PA), Hill School (PA), Capital Christian, McDonogh & Gilman. West Nottingham players to watch include 6-1 SR PG Jamie Bergens (Netherlands), 6’4” SR CG Justinas Leganovic (Lithuania), 6’8” SR PF Denys Bachurin (Ukraine), 6’5” SR WF Cartier Bowman (NJ) and 6’6” JR F Tomiwa Sulaiman (UK).

I’ll be at Gilman today for the championship game of the Bristow Tournament. I’ll be cheering on West Nottingham and providing score updates and commentary on your legendary Gilman Greyhound players except for Rucker. I’ve seen him play. He’s legit.

#73 Gooch

Gooch

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 741 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:02 AM

Ruckers my guy Guru me and his pops go back before his Gibbons days

#74 Oldtime

Oldtime
  • Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 09:02 AM

I live a pretty amazing life, I would be the worst coach in history! But, I know the game very very well.

I have found that when people have to continually tell others how great their life is, it really isn’t all that. I mean you know everything about all the youth league players while traveling the world, dining in all the fine spots.

#75 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

I have found that when people have to continually tell others how great their life is, it really isn’t all that. I mean you know everything about all the youth league players while traveling the world, dining in all the fine spots.

I know only what I’m told these days. I don’t dine much either. You should just stick to worrying about the welfare of the boys in your county. Heard there’s some serious deviants in your neck of the woods!!

#76 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 12:56 PM

West Nottingham is a prep school up in Cecil County that went 19-13 last season. They are a United Nations team with players from the Netherlands, Ukraine, Lithuania, England & France. Eight of their players are transfers.
The Rams play an upgraded schedule this season with games against Mt. Zion Prep, Haverford, Hun School (NJ), Westtown (PA), Hill School (PA), Capital Christian, McDonogh & Gilman. West Nottingham players to watch include 6-1 SR PG Jamie Bergens (Netherlands), 6’4” SR CG Justinas Leganovic (Lithuania), 6’8” SR PF Denys Bachurin (Ukraine), 6’5” SR WF Cartier Bowman (NJ) and 6’6” JR F Tomiwa Sulaiman (UK).
I’ll be at Gilman today for the championship game of the Bristow Tournament. I’ll be cheering on West Nottingham and providing score updates and commentary on your legendary Gilman Greyhound players except for Rucker. I’ve seen him play. He’s legit.

Sounds like they have ramped up their program. If Missouri gives them nothing, and this coach continues to play the whole damn team, Gilman will lose this game. Probably will not be even close.

#77 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

Ruckers my guy Guru me and his pops go back before his Gibbons days

I remember the last name. I returned to Baltimore after college in ‘91. He played with Wojo. Saw them play Calvert Hall several times.

#78 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:38 PM

End of 1st Q WNA 15 Gilman 9

Gilman

Missouri 4
Drew 3
Cooper 2

West Nottingham

Bowman 3
Sulaiman 5
Pissis 1
Bergens 3
Ovchinnikoff 3

#79 GreyhoundAlum

GreyhoundAlum
  • Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 04:48 PM

End of 1st Q WNA 15 Gilman 9
Gilman
Missouri 4
Drew 3
Cooper 2
West Nottingham
Bowman 3
Sulaiman 5
Pissis 1
Bergens 3
Ovchinnikoff 3

I’m watching game now online. Tied at 24 now. Missouri playing much better today. Gilman coach broke his record, played 11 players in the first quarter.

#80 TheGuru

TheGuru

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

At the half WNA 33 Gilman 28

Gilman

Missouri 8
Drew 6
Foster 4
Cooper 2
Rucker 8

West Nottingham

Bowman 4
Sulaiman 4
Pissis 2
Bergens 7
Ovchinnikoff 6
Bachurin
Leganovic
Flaherty 8
Cordillia 2

Some Observations:

West Nottingham is a highly disciplined team. They ran their motion offense very well. Sulaiman (6’6”), Cordilia (6’9”) and Ovchinnikoff (6’4”) controlled the paint and rebounded well with Sulaiman blocking 3 shots, The Rams guards shoot from the outside well and quick off the dribble to the basket. No weaknesses on this team.

Gilman played about 8 players in the first half. GA’s favorite whipping boy, Missouri, had 8 points in the first half to match Rucker. I was highly disappointed in Drew. He’s very athletic and seems to have a good stroke from three but he rushed many of his attempts and went 2-6 for 6 points. His last miss from three was a 3 on 1 break where he had Rucker and Missouri wide open under the basket and bricked a three late in the half.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=