#61 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:51 PM

The player’s response should, but won’t be, taken into account. He will be fired now because of a witch hunt from one disgruntled writer and her bs “unnamed source”. Again, a damn tragedy that McNair died but this is total bs that will lead to the death of the MD football program that was already on life support.

If negligence lead to this kids death, the best thing that can happen is they just lose their jobs...really, they should go to jail.

Heard Dinich today say that she interviewed the McNairs family attorney and they are going to sue...as they should.
  • The Epic likes this

#62 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

The player’s response should, but won’t be, taken into account. He will be fired now because of a witch hunt from one disgruntled writer and her bs “unnamed source”. Again, a damn tragedy that McNair died but this is total bs that will lead to the death of the MD football program that was already on life support.

Wasn't the article citing MULTIPLE incidents and witnesses over multiple years? Forcing kids to eat until they puke and then forcing them to eat more, and don't forget these are KIDS, they are 18 year old children, forget about the idol worship of them being a college athlete you watch on TV and think how would you feel about YOUR kid who JUST graduated from High School and is on their own for the first time in their life.

Psychological abuse, humiliation, throwing weights at them. If you can't coach without using these kids of tricks you aren't good enough to be coaching anyway. I don't care if it happens everywhere. It shouldn't. That macho mentality isn't an excuse. You want that big time coaches salary? Figure out how to do it without beating them down like farm animals.

@JeremyMStrain

#63 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:56 PM

If negligence lead to this kids death, the best thing that can happen is they just lose their jobs...really, they should go to jail.

Heard Dinich today say that she interviewed the McNairs family attorney and they are going to sue...as they should.

From stuff I've read so far they are really close to proving it wasn't just negligence but intentional and manslaughter-ish. Something about how it went on with him showing signs of distress for like 45 minutes before they called 911.

Negligence would be just not noticing it. But to see it, and then yell at him they don't care, but to push harder isn't negligence anymore. And if NO ONE around is willing to speak up because they are scared for their job or ridicule then that shows there's a problem there too. I don't see how he's getting out of this, and honestly after hearing all this and then seeing that he used to be an assistant for Urban Meyer, I don't feel bad at all. Clean house.

Should have hired Frank Reich.

@JeremyMStrain

#64 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

Of all the information that I've seen, the people standing up for the coaches are willing to have their names used. The ones in Heather Dinich's article are anonymous. Anonymous just doesn't cut it. Until someone comes out with their name criticizing the coaches, I am calling BS on all of it. It is a shame that a young man died and THAT needs to be investigated fully. I think the McNair family made a mistake hiring that ambulance-chaser, Billy Murphy. He has always been a punk in my book.

#65 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:26 PM

How do people feel about this?
MD has put Durkin on leave... an investigation is on-going....    why fire him before it's complete?

The evidence seems overwhelming. I thought Jones' interview in the original story was damning and very believable.

#66 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,244 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

The evidence seems overwhelming. I thought Jones' interview in the original story was damning and very believable.

The evidence for what seems overwhelming?

There is enough between McNair's death, and the culture allegations in ESPN' s article to warrant independent 3rd party investigations.... but overwhelming evidence of anything? I don't think that exists yet.

#67 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:35 PM

The evidence for what seems overwhelming?
There is enough between McNair's death, and the culture allegations in ESPN' s article to warrant independent 3rd party investigations.... but overwhelming evidence of anything? I don't think that exists yet.

I thought Jones speaking on the record shed a lot of credibility to the culture that apparently exists. When you get people speaking on the record it brings more credence to the charges. He was an ex-Maryland player that left the program and gives a first hand account of the situation. He's a big piece of the discovery in my opinion. I respect your opinion. We shall see what plays out.

#68 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,244 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:41 PM

I thought Jones speaking on the record shed a lot of credibility to the culture that apparently exists. When you get people speaking on the record it brings more credence to the charges. He was an ex-Maryland player that left the program and gives a first hand account of the situation. He's a big piece of the discovery in my opinion. I respect your opinion. We shall see what plays out.

It absolutely brings credibility.  He was there...  but he's one guy. 

That's why you have to have 3rd party types interviewing everyone on the team now.   Where they can confirm or refute the notion of toxic culture.

Works both ways btw.  There are a number of players on the record countering the story....   but it's not everyone, and they aren't being interviewed by 3rd parties and going over the allegations.

Interviewing the roster(s) as a whole, are the only way you will get a real clear picture imo.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,244 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

Testudo Times: What Maryland players, alumni and recruits are saying after reports of player mistreatment
https://www.testudot...eports-reaction

#70 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:45 PM

It absolutely brings credibility.  He was there...  but he's one guy. 
That's why you have to have 3rd party types interviewing everyone on the team now.   Where they can confirm or refute the notion of toxic culture.
Works both ways btw.  There are a number of players on the record countering the story....   but it's not everyone, and they aren't being interviewed by 3rd parties and going over the allegations.
Interviewing the roster(s) as a whole, are the only way you will get a real clear picture imo.

Hopefully an independent body is doing the investigation.

#71 Tranquil1

Tranquil1
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationFrankford, Delaware

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:48 PM

I must have missed the Jones and Ventura quotes. Ok, two former players. That's it? More evidence is needed. Until then, I give the coaches benefit of the doubt.

#72 The Epic

The Epic

^^ That's my name. Don't wear it out.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:50 PM

I think it's one of those things where the court of public opinion may win out. Ultimately, even if Durkin & Co are cleared of all wrongdoing (and that's, I assume, not likely), the perception in and of itself will need to be addressed. Someone needs to be fired, or else it just seems like they "got away with it."

I mean, there's literally no way they get out of this clean, even if they are 100% clean in the ordeal.

#73 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

I think it's one of those things where the court of public opinion may win out. Ultimately, even if Durkin & Co are cleared of all wrongdoing (and that's, I assume, not likely), the perception in and of itself will need to be addressed. Someone needs to be fired, or else it just seems like they "got away with it."

I mean, there's literally no way they get out of this clean, even if they are 100% clean in the ordeal.

I think in the end the evidence will be more than sufficient to fire Durkin. In my opinion there is enough now to terminate him.

#74 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 04:59 PM

Something Roy Williams wouldnt know about. And thats not me trolling. Thats a fact.

#75 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

I think in the end the evidence will be more than sufficient to fire Durkin. In my opinion there is enough now to terminate him.

I waffle on that. I get both sides, and I've wavered between "fire him outright, right now" and "at least let the situation play out and keep him on leave until it's over." And it literally changes by the hour.

-Someone- needs to go, however.

#76 The Epic

The Epic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,147 posts
  • LocationGlyndon, MD

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

Something Roy Williams wouldnt know about. And thats not me trolling. Thats a fact.

People were fired at UNC while the investigation was going on. Just because Roy didn't get fired doesn't mean that heads didn't roll.

It's exactly the same here. Maybe Durkin doesn't get fired, and maybe he does. But even if the NCAA comes up toothless, someone has to go.

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:39 PM

Only way Durkin and staff can return is if the article is proven to be inaccurate.

"It happens everywhere", "it really wasn't that bad", "most players didn't mind", or any other bullshit excuses are not acceptable, IMO.

Even if the article is incorrect he could still be fired (or worse) due to the way he and his staff handled the situation after McNair collapsed and what led to it.

More info will bring more clarity. But burden or proof for me is now on Durkin and his people to prove this article is not accurate and that these things arenot and have not been going on.
  • McNulty likes this

#78 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:50 PM

I don't see how you can bring him back. The evidence is mounting against him. This is a total disaster. There should be a lot of heads rolling and I suspect it could start in the Administration and work it's way down.

#79 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:52 PM

Whoever signed off on earmarking a whopping $24k max for the internal investigation gets fired for cause. If that's Evans and Loh, so be it.

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Whoever signed off on earmarking a whopping $24k max for the internal investigation gets fired for cause. If that's Evans and Loh, so be it.

I can't believe this isn't a source of more outrage. That is incredibly clearly a move to brush this under the rug, IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=