605 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:50 AM

@MrChickSports 38m38 minutes ago

Another camp heard from. Several players on squad now wanting to be heard in support of HC DJ Durkin #terps

@BarrettSallee 2h2 hours ago

Will D.J. Durkin be back as Maryland's head coach. There's no chance. What are your thoughts? 888-573-5335 to join me on @ESPNUonSiriusXM channel 84 this morning.

#22 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:58 AM

Good for coach Muschamp! I agree 100% that unnamed sources are a bunch of wussies!

#23 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

Can someone explain to me why Dinich has an agenda or whatever?

@fuzydunlop

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:12 AM

The tinfoil hat explanation is that as Terps Football beat reporter with The Sun, she feels she was mistreated... and her subsequent MD reporting has always had a tint to it.

Which admittedly I've bought into over the years, but not so much for this. I don't think the reporting was due to a bias. I do think the actual reporting was somewhat limited though.

If one wants to entertain conspiracy thoughts, the more logical tract is with the lawyers representing McNair's family.  That they helped the story get traction (and reported), in a desire to sway public opinion.

Whatever.

Just get some independent 3rd parties to investigate. 
Get the feedback of all of the players themselves.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:20 AM

I have no idea what youre trying to say.

As I said in my post, if the program was negligent and contributed to McNairs death they should compensate the family. Changes should be implemented and maybe people should be fired. Maryland should be responsible for that one thing. What shouldnt happen is Durkin being fired because people with agendas are taking advantage of McNairs death to spread rumors and put out a false narrative. I have little doubt that the way Durkin runs his program is similar to most colleges and a lot of HS programs

W/R/T to UNC, you kept saying that just because everyone does it, doesn't mean you shouldn't face consequences.

You also questioned those people who said McCants wasn't a good source.

Now, you are using the same excuses that everyone is doing it, that this is a witch hunt from those with an axe to grind, etc...

If you can't see how much of a hypocrite you are being, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh and btw, this is WAY WORSE than anything the "blue blood" programs have been excused of.

• The Epic, mweb08 and CantonJester like this

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,391 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

She and Friedgen did not get along well at all back when she worked at The Sun. That I know. How much that has influenced her reporting of UM over the years, if at all, is debatable.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

It also stands to reason that in her time at the Sun, Dinich developed relationships and has good sources still within the program.

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,391 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:28 AM

It also stands to reason that in her time at the Sun, Dinich developed relationships and has good sources still within the program.

That can work both ways as well. If it was her intent to write a negative piece on MD, she'd know exactly who to talk to get direct quotes without having to do too much digging.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

W/R/T to UNC, you kept saying that just because everyone does it, doesn't mean you shouldn't face consequences.

You also questioned those people who said McCants wasn't a good source.

Now, you are using the same excuses that everyone is doing it, that this is a witch hunt from those with an axe to grind, etc...

If you can't see how much of a hypocrite you are being, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh and btw, this is WAY WORSE than anything the "blue blood" programs have been excused of.

Dude shut up. There is no hypocricy at all. Youre the worst. You either play dumb or are dumb to maniputate shit

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:13 AM

Dude shut up. There is no hypocricy at all. Youre literally the worst.

Use your words. Why is he wrong? Where does the hypocrisy argument fall short?

#31 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:24 AM

No one said shes making up sources. You could find legit sources in every program/organization (pro or college) that that have an axe to grind

And I also said in that thread about UNC that similar things happen in all programs. Maybe not fake academic programs but these kids have puff classes, professors and TAs changing grades, people doing school work for them, etc. The difference of course is nothing happens to a blue blood basketball program like UNC

This is whataboutist crap and should in no way be used to excuse, defend, or justify the culture of a football program that led to the death of a young man.

#32 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

The lone path for Durkin coaching another game at MD is if the players on the roster loudly rally around him and make known they want Durkin to be retained.
That's it. That's the only way the court of public opinion will be on Durkin's side.
Other than that, I'm pleased that someone like Canada was here and available as a stop-gap (or more). He has a legitimate resume, and he is just arriving here, so that helps. (And to Mike's points in the article, also represent a challenge.)
Definitely have to wonder where the players will be emotionally, and focus wise.

I doubt they would if the charges are true. I think the Alumni have to decide if football at Maryland is in the best interest of everyone. Every week we get our heads handed to us. This gets tiring and boring. We are way in over our heads in the Big Ten.

#33 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:26 AM

Its obvious. As I said, the bottom line here is McNairs death. If Durkin, his staff, the program were negligent and irresponsible then heads should roll. But that doesnt mean there was a toxic culture. Thats bs that people are saying to exploit his death to grind an axe. I really dont care that much about Maryland football or Durkin but I care about this athletic program again being treated like a red headed stepchild and being run through the mud. Over and over and over.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:27 AM

Dude shut up. There is no hypocricy at all. Youre the worst. You either play dumb or are dumb to maniputate shit

Lol..the idea you can’t see this just further illustrates how out of touch with reality you are.

#35 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:28 AM

Its obvious. As I said, the bottom line here is McNairs death. If Durkin, his staff, the program were negligent and irresponsible then heads should roll. But this toxic culture bullshit that people are saying to exploit his death just to grind an axe is dusgusting. I really dont care that much about Maryland football or Durkin but I care about this athletic program again being treated like a red headed stepchild and being run through the mud

..like you did with the UNC program.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:30 AM

I doubt they would if the charges are true. I think the Alumni have to decide if football at Maryland is in the best interest of everyone. Every week we get our heads handed to us. This gets tiring and boring. We are way in over our heads in the Big Ten.

I disagree with everything here.

#37 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:32 AM

Nor am I telling alum or contributors to the athletic program how to feel. But I think all of them should look in the mirror and refuse to let this program.once again get railroaded, exploited, and abused. Its happened for over 30 yrs now going back to Lens death.

#38 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,355 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:33 AM

If this type of behavior is common throughout college football, I don't see that as much of a defense of Maryland, I see that as a condemnation of college football.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

#39 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

..like you did with the UNC program.

No one gives a crap what you think you Maryland born and bred bandwagon riding bitch.

#40 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

Its obvious. As I said, the bottom line here is McNairs death. If Durkin, his staff, the program were negligent and irresponsible then heads should roll. But that doesnt mean there was a toxic culture. Thats bs that people are saying to exploit his death to grind an axe. I really dont care that much about Maryland football or Durkin but I care about this athletic program again being treated like a red headed stepchild and being run through the mud. Over and over and over.

You have your head in the sand. Durkin needs to lawyer up, because short of a heart murmur / abnormally large heart, he instructed teammates to carry him through a workout.

Before you say it: yes, there’s a toxic culture throughout college sports (football, namely). Wannabe General Pattons thinking they’re going to mold warriors from young men. That in no way absolves Durkin in this situation, because it gives Maryland an ample opportunity to dictate through their actions what will be and what will not be tolerated.
  • You Play to Win the Game and Nigel Tufnel like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=