#281 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:56 PM

Why?

Having a mid-teens draft pick is unacceptable. From now on it's Top 10 pick or bust!

#282 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:58 PM

I imagine it’s: this is his last chance, let him prove he’s not it, and move on. I never thought they’d give him this shot…

He's already proven it's time to move on. No need whatsoever to see him on the ML team to determine that.

• Old Man likes this

#283 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:03 PM

Yeah he probably gets a month of regular ABs to prove something. If not, DFA.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#284 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:04 PM

He's already proven it's time to move on. No need whatsoever to see him on the ML team to determine that.

I don’t think that’s a given but I can understand it.

If you think he still has a chance at being anything I think you might as well give him that chance. I’d have preferred it earlier in the year but eh. I like Stowers but he isn’t can’t miss enough that I can’t give Diaz 3 weeks.

#285 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:34 PM

Diaz isn't long for the 40-man, so it's reasonable to give him a shot and see what he can do to either add some interest in keeping him or showcase for another team.

Could be they just want to keep Stowers down for another month.

#286 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 06:39 PM

At least Dan Duquette can feel a sense of satisfaction today.

#287 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 10:47 AM

Back to Norfolk.  Phillips taking his place.

#288 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 12:58 PM

DFA candidate during offseason.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#289 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:50 PM

The centerpiece of the Machado trade may end up receiving one big league at bat for us. Lol.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#290 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 01:54 PM

At least Dan Duquette can feel a sense of satisfaction today.

I dont blame DD.

By the time Manny was traded. DD was a figurehead and King Peter was calling the shots, and Im pretty sure, it was sell for whatever you can get, as we are dumping payroll.

The rest of the league knew this and took advantage. Heck, DD probably didnt care too much as he knew, he wasnt going to get retained.

#291 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 10 August 2022 - 04:09 PM

So I feel like complaining about Diaz at this point is mostly using the benefit of hindsight.  Diaz had an .880 OPS in AA as a 20 year old and a .905 OPS as a 21 year old when we traded for him.  The fact that he got injured and lost some skill as a result makes it look bad, but it wasn't like we could have predicted that.

I think you could have made a decent argument that we should have sold after 2017 but I'm not sure we would have gotten better value, as your return is typically much better at the deadline than it is in the offseason.  You could have made the argument that we should have sold at the deadline in 2017, and we would have definitely gotten better value then, but it's a tough call.  We didn't appear to be that bad at that point, and we did go on a run in August before the wheels fell off.  The fact that it seemed to be a major buyer's market in 2018 makes the decision to hold onto him worse, but that would have been difficult to predict.

• Mackus likes this

#292 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,840 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:28 PM

Quantity over quality. DD did us so dirty. Maybe on purpose

#293 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:41 PM

Diaz was fine as a headliner. Legit top 50 guy. Would have preferred a better 2nd piece rather than quantity.

I don’t think DD did us dirty on purpose. IIRC he was talking like he was staying near the end of the year. I think maybe he was hoping Buck would take the fall and he’d get another chance.

#294 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:54 PM

I mean if Kremer can keep this up and Tate is a solid BP arm which he has been it’s not an awful return for two months of Manny.

It would have been nice if Diaz could have amounted to something better than a more injured and worse version of David Segui though.

#295 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 05:56 PM

Tate was Britton, but yeah if Kremer is a legit MLB starter then it’s certainly much easier to swallow.

#296 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,560 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 November 2022 - 09:06 PM

Cleared waivers and opted for free agency.

#297 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 07:58 AM

One of the bigger busts in recent memory for top-50ish prospects. Those guys aren't anything near to being locks, but most at least get more than a cup of coffee.

#298 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:00 AM

I never really thought Diaz was anywhere near the prospect the Orioles tried to tell us, he was.  The Dodgers have the reputation of never trading anything they truly believe in.  Maybe Kremer becomes the player that validates the trade, but either way, it is time to move on.

@mikeghg

#299 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:17 AM

I never really thought Diaz was anywhere near the prospect the Orioles tried to tell us, he was.  The Dodgers have the reputation of never trading anything they truly believe in.  Maybe Kremer becomes the player that validates the trade, but either way, it is time to move on.

I remember some in OH, being very sour on him from the very beginning. 

I do agree with you on the Dodgers and their reputation.

#300 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:57 AM

I remember some in OH, being very sour on him from the very beginning. 

I do agree with you on the Dodgers and their reputation.

I went to 3 or 4 Frederick games after the Orioles acquired him, and I did like his swing, and thought he was stiff in the outfield.  I think he was probably 3rd on the the Orioles wish list from the Dodgers, but DD settled.  I think the target was Lux.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=