183 replies to this topic

#101 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 06 April 2022 - 10:51 PM

To be honest, the transfer portal has made me even less interested in college basketball. It was bad enough with all the one and done's, but then you throw in the transfer portal...

Maybe the game just seemed better back when we had guys like Dixon, Baxter, Blake, Nicholas, Caner Medley, Strawberry, Vasquez, Hayes, etc stick around for 4 years. Made the team more likeable to follow and root for.

It really is off-putting to me. The transfer portal mindset is rampant at even younger youth sports these days. It really is a shame. Too many kids aren't learning a lot of valuable (to larger society nevermind themselves) life skills... earning your role, accepting a role, being part of a team, humility, etc. Coping skills and perseverance, growth and development through hard work... becoming far less worthwhile than just punching out to (hopefully) get exactly what you want somewhere else, and not needing to work for it.
  • BaltBird 24 and mdrunning like this

#102 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:41 PM

I really hate the take that kids that seek transfers are somehow to blame here.  Without available transfers, there is no accountability to their coaches either, and we don't need to look far to see that coaches aren't beyond reproach.  If they're making progress toward a degree, and they either finish their degree at one of their schools or they get drafted in the NBA, then coilege has done its job in terms of preparing them for adulthood.

Are there examples of kids that don't pick up the needed skills or initiate transfers for bad reasons?  Sure.  But that makes them no different from anyone else, especially anyone else in the same age range.  Critically looking at their situation and deciding that a change is needed?  That is also an important life skill.  Sometimes it doesn't work out.  That's where personal responsibility comes in.  Taking this choice away from the kids only serves the institutions that profit off the kids' talents.

• BSLMikeLowe, Mackus and BSLRoseKatz like this

#103 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,405 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 02:51 PM

The question is, what kind of program is Brenda Frese running and how much leash does she have left?

#104 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:07 PM

The question is, what kind of program is Brenda Frese running and how much leash does she have left?

There’s always been talk about how hard she works her players. Probably rubs some the wrong way.

But she was just given a rather large contract extension, so she won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#105 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,405 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:11 PM

There’s always been talk about how hard she works her players. Probably rubs some the wrong way.

But she was just given a rather large contract extension, so she won’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

So basically it's weak, entitled athletes rather than any toxicity in the program? I'll side with the coach.

• mdrunning likes this

#106 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 April 2022 - 03:51 PM

It's not her. It's this wild west with the transfer portal thing. I'm all for not treating the athletes like servants, don't get me wrong, but this is TOO much freedom. There's zero commitment and kids trying to form super teams like the NBA.

Someone, Dawn Staley maybe? Was saying the other day that there's something like 800 kids in the transfer portal right now, and only 665 scholarships available in all of basketball. Last year over 200 kids ended up transferring and getting shut out without a deal.

There has to be a better middle ground than we have right now.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#107 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:01 PM

It's not her. It's this wild west with the transfer portal thing. I'm all for not treating the athletes like servants, don't get me wrong, but this is TOO much freedom. There's zero commitment and kids trying to form super teams like the NBA.

Someone, Dawn Staley maybe? Was saying the other day that there's something like 800 kids in the transfer portal right now, and only 665 scholarships available in all of basketball. Last year over 200 kids ended up transferring and getting shut out without a deal.

There has to be a better middle ground than we have right now.

I don't think the answer is to pull back on the freedom of movement players now have (though I wouldn't be against setting up windows for portal access). I think the answer lies in the bold paragraph. The players will have to learn (some of them the hard way) that just because you can leave doesn't mean you should, because there may not be a scholarship waiting for you somewhere else.

#108 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,375 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:07 PM

I don't think the answer is to pull back on the freedom of movement players now have (though I wouldn't be against setting up windows for portal access). I think the answer lies in the bold paragraph. The players will have to learn (some of them the hard way) that just because you can leave doesn't mean you should, because there may not be a scholarship waiting for you somewhere else.

Normally I don't opine without an idea I think is better but I have no idea what to do with this and the whole NIL situation (many of the transfer players are just using it as a way to try to get NIL money from someplace). It may just need to kinda blow up a couple years and it'll mellow out. Or it may need to be something the NCAA restricts a little bit.

I don't think they should go back to what they had by any means. That was way too weighted towards schools. But there has to be some in between that works best. Maybe the NIL thing, BUT go back to having to sit out a year if you transfer, and you don't get paid NIL while you are sitting. I don't know...that doesn't seem great either, but it at least makes them consider what is better, taking my money now and who cares if I get better or not vs developing now and getting your money on the back end.

I really don't know how this situation gets worked out. I just know the old way didn't work. And neither does this one. Two extremes.

@JeremyMStrain

#109 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:09 PM

I really hate the take that kids that seek transfers are somehow to blame here. Without available transfers, there is no accountability to their coaches either, and we don't need to look far to see that coaches aren't beyond reproach. If they're making progress toward a degree, and they either finish their degree at one of their schools or they get drafted in the NBA, then coilege has done its job in terms of preparing them for adulthood.

Are there examples of kids that don't pick up the needed skills or initiate transfers for bad reasons? Sure. But that makes them no different from anyone else, especially anyone else in the same age range. Critically looking at their situation and deciding that a change is needed? That is also an important life skill. Sometimes it doesn't work out. That's where personal responsibility comes in. Taking this choice away from the kids only serves the institutions that profit off the kids' talents.

I get the take. To me though, the solution isn't making college athletics basically an annual free agent bonanza. Change things so that coaches under contract can't bail on the kids as easily (and work right away). It's like "we" tend to find ways to break something else to make it even with the broken thing, rather than fixing the broken thing first.

The "school's profit off the kids" thing is true too. But a lot of folks place ZERO value on the scholarship / room & board money the full ride athletes are given. In exchange for playing on the team, they get a free education and degree (should they seal that deal), and always plenty of resources and support to ensure they stay academically eligible. Things that regular students usually have to pay extra for. But regardless, the value of that 4 year scholarship is probably over 6 figures for most schools. So I always cringe a little when we act like the kids get nothing in return for the school making big bucks. If you turned those scholarship dollars in to payrolls, a lot of big college basketball teams would have $300,000 to $600,000 payrolls annually. Major college football teams? A million+ I'm sure. Hell, Michigan or Alabama probably spend close to as much money in football scholarships a year as the Orioles are spending on their own payroll this year. ;) At many schools, the money brought in by the "big teams" helps fund a lot of the other sports and activities that go on too. So there are larger perks to the profit bigger than just a couple Mafia dons putting millions in their own pockets. :)

I'm fine with the student athletes being able to market and monetize themselves. Obviously the shady part is whether they're really doing it themselves, or parties who shouldn't be involved are pulling the strings.

There's no perfect solution. But what it's becoming is making the overall product less interesting to me personally. Seeing how a group / squad evolves over 4 years is way more compelling to me than learning a whole new set of names while watching their first game each winter.
  • JeremyStrain and mdrunning like this

#110 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,549 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:44 PM

I get the take. To me though, the solution isn't making college athletics basically an annual free agent bonanza. Change things so that coaches under contract can't bail on the kids as easily (and work right away). It's like "we" tend to find ways to break something else to make it even with the broken thing, rather than fixing the broken thing first.

The "school's profit off the kids" thing is true too. But a lot of folks place ZERO value on the scholarship / room & board money the full ride athletes are given. In exchange for playing on the team, they get a free education and degree (should they seal that deal), and always plenty of resources and support to ensure they stay academically eligible. Things that regular students usually have to pay extra for. But regardless, the value of that 4 year scholarship is probably over 6 figures for most schools. So I always cringe a little when we act like the kids get nothing in return for the school making big bucks. If you turned those scholarship dollars in to payrolls, a lot of big college basketball teams would have $300,000 to $600,000 payrolls annually. Major college football teams? A million+ I'm sure. Hell, Michigan or Alabama probably spend close to as much money in football scholarships a year as the Orioles are spending on their own payroll this year. ;) At many schools, the money brought in by the "big teams" helps fund a lot of the other sports and activities that go on too. So there are larger perks to the profit bigger than just a couple Mafia dons putting millions in their own pockets. :)

I'm fine with the student athletes being able to market and monetize themselves. Obviously the shady part is whether they're really doing it themselves, or parties who shouldn't be involved are pulling the strings.

There's no perfect solution. But what it's becoming is making the overall product less interesting to me personally. Seeing how a group / squad evolves over 4 years is way more compelling to me than learning a whole new set of names while watching their first game each winter.

What situation would you prefer?

Maybe one solution is that you get a free transfer but you have a 1 year waiting period for new NIL deals unless you're in your last year of eligibility.  This lets players get out of toxic situations but removes some of the money aspect as a reason to break their commitments.

For what it's worth I understand the value of the scholarship (around 50-70K at most schools) and the fact that education costs keep rising means that it's weirdly approaching parity with the players' likely market value.  Not quite there yet for the best players but it's getting there.

#111 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:45 PM

Normally I don't opine without an idea I think is better but I have no idea what to do with this and the whole NIL situation (many of the transfer players are just using it as a way to try to get NIL money from someplace). It may just need to kinda blow up a couple years and it'll mellow out. Or it may need to be something the NCAA restricts a little bit.

I don't think they should go back to what they had by any means. That was way too weighted towards schools. But there has to be some in between that works best. Maybe the NIL thing, BUT go back to having to sit out a year if you transfer, and you don't get paid NIL while you are sitting. I don't know...that doesn't seem great either, but it at least makes them consider what is better, taking my money now and who cares if I get better or not vs developing now and getting your money on the back end.

I really don't know how this situation gets worked out. I just know the old way didn't work. And neither does this one. Two extremes.

As far a the NIL goes, the NCAA is in no position to restrict it. They had their chance to set up common sense rules years ago, but instead chose to fight a losing battle in the courts until the final decision opened the whole floodgates. If the NCAA tries anything now, they'll just end up right back in court, and will almost certainly lose (again).

States are enacting laws around it, and while I'm no expert on what all of them are, I doubt any politician is going to want to put their state universities at a disadvantage with more restrictive NIL laws that just encourage the best players to go to a rival school in a border state with looser laws. You don't win elections that way.

That leaves Congress to do something, and that seems to be the basket everyone in college sports wants to put their eggs in. But there certainly doesn't appear to be anything on the near horizon coming from DC as far as a solution.

Basically, we're stuck with the system we have. So you either have to play ball or go home. Blame the NCAA for their decades of intransigence and arrogance. This could have all worked out differently if they had simply been more forward-thinking.

#112 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 04:46 PM

What situation would you prefer?

Maybe one solution is that you get a free transfer but you have a 1 year waiting period for new NIL deals unless you're in your last year of eligibility.  This lets players get out of toxic situations but removes some of the money aspect as a reason to break their commitments.

That would just be inviting another lawsuit. Nothing in the SCOTUS ruling in the O'Bannon case said student athletes have to wait a year to make a deal.

#113 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2022 - 07:04 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland women’s basketball adds a pair of commits in 2022 guards Brianna McDaniel and Gia Cooke

https://www.testudot...l-and-gia-cooke

#114 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 16 April 2022 - 10:06 AM

Testudo Times: Maryland women’s basketball lands star Princeton transfer Abby Meyers

#115 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 April 2022 - 10:43 AM

Credit to Brenda, she’s attacked the portal aggressively and landed some of the best transfers in the country along with a handful of Top 50 recruits.
@BSLZackKiesel

#116 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 April 2022 - 12:05 PM

Maryland has extended Brenda Frese’s contract through the 2028-29 season.
@BSLZackKiesel

#117 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 01:08 PM

Her W-L record is pretty remarkable, for a non tier-1 school.

Most seasons, she is in the running, with a solid team and making an impact in NCAA woman's ball.

#118 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,322 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 April 2022 - 03:28 PM

Angel Reese now in the portal.

She’s headed to LSU, presumably with plenty of NIL money.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#119 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 April 2022 - 09:53 AM

Maryland women’s basketball’s Brenda Frese, Katie Benzan open up on transfers, team discord: 

she/her

#120 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 April 2022 - 11:27 AM

Part of this sounds like excuse making by the coach, but part (the larger part), sounds like kids realizing they can go somewhere else, whenever they want.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=