100 replies to this topic

#61 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:15 PM

He's consistent, and is what people refer to as an innings eater if he stays healthy. Solid back end guy on a decent team. Probably swing guy on a really good team, but given our rotation, he could stabilize things a bit or help in the pen. Not a terrible move, not a game changer either.

The reason I somewhat think it is a small game-changer is because it brings stability. Stability can mean the world. It also gives a pitcher that we generally know what he is going to give. With Britton or Johnson, who knows what we are going to get night in and night out but with Saunders we should get 6+ innings and 3-4 runs.
@Langley486

#62 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

However, he does provide another option should you want to give Chen additional rest, or should another injury occur.

This to me is why I like the deal. You can NEVER have too much starting pitching. As much I'd like to think Hammel is going to comeback and everyone is going to be effective/stay healthy, more likely than not that won't happen.
@levineps

#63 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

I enjoyed reading his comments. I know he is trying to say all the right things but having a player talk about how excited he is to get traded to the Orioles to play in meaningful games in September is something we have not heard in a long time.
Saunders has pitched well in September in the past. His last few starts have been rough so here is hoping he turns it on and does well for the next 6 weeks.
@mikeghg

#64 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

Arrieta not on the board so appears he is the roster move for Saunders.

#65 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Interesting, but it makes sense given the rain out yesterday and the rest it gave the BP. Does the roster expansion eliminate the requirement to keep Arrieta in Norfolk for 10 days?

#66 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Just an update...

*Joe Saunders is flying to Maryland today, and right-hander Jake Arrieta is still here and will be in the bullpen tonight. Saunders is expected to be officially added to the roster on Tuesday now, with the Orioles poised to make a roster move after the game to clear a spot. Arrieta, who came up yesterday to take the roster spot vacated by Matt Lindstrom, is the most likely candidate.

*Saunders will start Wednesday or Thursday with Zach Britton the other game. When I asked Showalter what this meant for Steve Johnson he said Johnson is still a candidate to get another start and he will stay away from using him in the bullpen tonight. The same goes for Miguel Gonzalez.

http://brittghiroli.... ... white-sox/

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

In his O's debut, Saunders went 5.1 ip, allowing 10 hits, 6 er, 2 bb's, with 4 k's.

He needs to be better tomorrow.

#68 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

In his O's debut, Saunders went 5.1 ip, allowing 10 hits, 6 er, 2 bb's, with 4 k's.

He needs to be better tomorrow.

Joe Saunders endorses this statement....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

Have to be pleased with Saunders today. He has certainly done his job, with a very strong / pitch efficient outing.

#70 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

Glad to see it, especially with the Tillman news. Hopefully the MRI comes back clean but we need a couple guys to step up.

#71 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Garceau and Jeremy have a new nickname....joining the Sheriff and the Deputy, ladies and gentleman...

Colonel Saunders!

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

I've been lukewarm on Saunders at best, but he had a great gutty outing tonight. Everything you could have asked from him.

#73 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Thanks Joe!!!
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#74 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:23 PM

Thanks Joe!!!

Seriously...you would like to walk up to him and just say thank you.

#75 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:58 PM

Seriously...you would like to walk up to him and just say thank you.

Yeah, first thing I'd do is thank him...

The second thing I'd do is ask him how the hell he did it when he didn't know where his FB was going...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#76 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

I doubted him all year, when people brought him up as a potential acquisition. I doubted him when he began starting for us. I doubted him going into the one game playoff.

He was a revelation tonight. This might be the greatest factor in how I remember him as an Oriole.

#77 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

I doubted him all year, when people brought him up as a potential acquisition. I doubted him when he began starting for us. I doubted him going into the one game playoff.

He was a revelation tonight. This might be the greatest factor in how I remember him as an Oriole.

He did what the Orioles have done all year. Battled his ass off on every pitch. Good Job Joe.
@mikeghg

#78 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hats off to Joe. How fitting though. We all doubted him and he came through. That's kind of been the O's season.

Thanks, Joe.

@AdamWolff

#79 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

The biggest starts of the season have been started by and won by Miguel Gonzalez and Joe Saunders.

How crazy is that?

#80 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

The biggest starts of the season have been started by and won by Miguel Gonzalez and Joe Saunders.

How crazy is that?

Kind of seems fitting given this crazy season.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=