Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... nders.html

SATURDAY, 10:46pm: The Diamondbacks appear to have found a trade partner for Joe Saunders, reports Bob McManaman of The Arizona Republic (on Twitter). The left-hander may be scratched from Sunday's start. Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic mentions (on Twitter) that the Orioles have been speculated as a possible fit for a while.

SUNDAY, 8:34am: The Orioles have shown the most steady interest in Saunders and have been in the mix for him in recent days, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. However, the O's have not been confirmed as the landing spot for the pitcher.

EDIT: O's have traded for Saunders

#2 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Man I really hope not.
@JeffLongBP

#3 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

I wouldn't mind having Saunders in our rotation - if anything just to keep getting into and staying in the rotation as competitive of a thing as possible.

However - if the O's do trade for Saunders and pay his remaining salary AND give up a prospect of any legit value I'd be peeved by that. He was on waivers and we didn't put in a claim - if we have so much interest in trading for him then we should've just placed a claim. I think the D-Backs would have let him go for nothing more than not having to pay him because they want Tyler Skaggs to be in the rotation going forward.

#4 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Have they announced the team yet?

#5 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Have they announced the team yet?

Not that I've seen. I was searching twitter and arizona local news papers online maybe 10 minutes ago. No major updates on it yet.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I hope it's us. I know that Britton and Johnson have both had good starts recently, but I'd still like to have a more consistent presence in the rotation. Getting Hammel back and adding Saunders would be great (though if he is available, I would prefer Marcum). If Saunders struggles, then you fall back to Britton/Gonzalez, but it would be helpful to the playoff chances, IMO, if we add outside help at SP.

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

Britt says O's are one of at least two teams in the mix for him.

#8 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

It's official.

TradeDeadliner TradeDeadliner ‏@TradeDeadliner

#Orioles acquire Joe Saunders from the #DBacks. Speculated that last night, now confirmed.

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Will be interesting to see what Duquette had to give up. Frankly, I have no idea.

#10 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

So who goes to the bullpen now? I thought Britton was pegged to be moved along with Matusz, but after Friday night who knows.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#11 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Will be interesting to see what Duquette had to give up. Frankly, I have no idea.

Matt Lindstrom & PTBNL/Cash for Saunders & Cash.
(If we send PTBNL, we'll get cash. If we don't, we send cash)

Arrieta recalled - going to take Lindstrom's spot in the 'pen for now.

In other news - kill me now.
@JeffLongBP

#12 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

That answers my question about the bullpen.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

I do think the team needs another starter, but for Lindstrom and a PTBNL (hopefully I don't know that player's name), then...

Posted Image

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

By rWAR this season:

Matt Lindstrom: .7
Joe Saunders: .6

By fWAR:

Matt Lindstrom: .4
Joe Saunders: 1.7

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,980 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

I don't really get the need for adding Saunders, and I'm not excited at-all about giving up Lindstrom.

Hammel is coming back. Chen is obviously staying in the rotation. Britton has pitched well in back-to-back starts. Tillman and Gonzalez have been solid enough, and Johnson has pitched well in his two starts.

All of that said, I'm looking forward to seeing Arrieta in this capacity.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:17 AM

Don't know why we had to give up Lindstrom. But I like acquiring Saunders and I like Arrieta in the bullpen.

#17 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

I do think the team needs another starter, but for Lindstrom and a PTBNL (hopefully I don't know that player's name), then...

Posted Image

I did not hear about the player to be named later part. The reason I am okay with this is for a couple of reasons.

1. Lindstrom was good but he was one of our bullpen players that was expendable. It seemed like we did not use him quite as much as everyone else, but he did also have that injury so that took some time.

2. We need a more fixed rotation. Our bullpen will still be solid even without Lindstrom but having a rotating door in the rotation is not good. This helps solidify it.

3. It shows the O's are all in for once. For years we wanted this team to make some moves and they're making them. They're not high profiled but we don't need to make the big splash.

Overall, I like this move. I like Lindstrom but in my eyes he was a bit more expendable than the rest.
@Langley486

#18 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

So as currently constructed (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), here is the pitching...

Rotation:
Chen
Tillman
Gonzalez
Saunders
Britton

Bullpen:
J. Johnson (closer)
Strop (8th)
Gregg
Ayala
O'Day
Matusz (lefty)
Arrieta (long man?)
S. Johnson (long man?)

> If Patton returns, he probably takes one of the bottom three listed in the bullpen.
> When Hammel gets back (Britt just said on Twitter his target date is September 6), he would take (presmably) Gonzalez's spot.

Is this accurate??

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Losing Lindstrom isn't something I really like, but it's only a factor for the next few days. Once September comes, that will be a 10+ man bullpen and we can get by without him.

#20 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

I don't really get the need for adding Saunders, and I'm not excited at-all about giving up Lindstrom.

Hammel is coming back. Chen is obviously staying in the rotation. Britton has pitched well in back-to-back starts. Tillman and Gonzalez have been solid enough, and Johnson has pitched well in his two starts.

All of that said, I'm looking forward to seeing Arrieta in this capacity.

Honestly, I think it's just to get a veteran at this point. I believe they would rather have veterans in the rotation that have been there before and have experience. I get what you're saying and I liked what we had but I have a little more level of comfort with some vets in the rotation. I would like to see Arrieta in the bullpen because I think he can do a good job there.
@Langley486

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=