100 replies to this topic

#21 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

TradeDeadliner ‏@TradeDeadliner
#DBacks trade Joe Saunders and cash to the #Orioles for Matt Lindstrom and a PTBNL

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli
Saunders could start as early as Tues. depends on if Miguel Gonzalez is needed today.

#22 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

So as currently constructed (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), here is the pitching...

Rotation:
Chen
Tillman
Gonzalez
Saunders
Britton

Bullpen:
J. Johnson (closer)
Strop (8th)
Gregg
Ayala
O'Day
Matusz (lefty)
Arrieta (long man?)
S. Johnson (long man?)

> If Patton returns, he probably takes one of the bottom three listed in the bullpen.
> When Hammel gets back (Britt just said on Twitter his target date is September 6), he would take (presmably) Gonzalez's spot.

Is this accurate??

Sounds about right. Nice work!
@Langley486

#23 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Several writers are saying it's Lindstrom/PTBNL for Saunders/cash, while others are saying it's a player-for-player swap.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

Honestly, I think it's just to get a veteran at this point. I believe they would rather have veterans in the rotation that have been there before and have experience. I get what you're saying and I liked what we had but I have a little more level of comfort with some vets in the rotation. I would like to see Arrieta in the bullpen because I think he can do a good job there.

Saunders 2012: 6-10, 4.22 era, 130 ip, 146 hits, 17 hr, 31 bb's, 89 k's, .767 OPS against, 0.83 G/F

For a month he will be suitable enough if handed the ball. I can respect the idea of wanting the 'vet', but even without Hammel; who does he improve upon? I don't want to see Saunders getting the ball over Britton. I'm not sure he brings anything more to the table than Gonzalez.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Saunders 2012: 6-10, 4.22 era, 130 ip, 146 hits, 17 hr, 31 bb's, 89 k's, .767 OPS against, 0.83 G/F

For a month he will be suitable enough if handed the ball. I can respect the idea of wanting the 'vet', but even without Hammel; who does he improve upon? I don't want to see Saunders getting the ball over Britton. I'm not sure he brings anything more to the table than Gonzalez.

It's not his ceiling that is attractive, it's his floor.

We know he's a reliable starter. Worst case is probably a 4.50 ERA over the final 5-6 starts. While I know that Tillman, Gonzalez, Britton, or Johnson could beat those numbers, they also could implode and pitch to an over 9.00 ERA.

This is all about stability, not upside.

#26 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

Don't know why we had to give up Lindstrom. But I like acquiring Saunders and I like Arrieta in the bullpen.

Agreed. I think Arrieta could be just as effective as Lindstrom out of the bullpen. Lindstrom was solid but I think, like Ayala, going to come down to earth a bit. I like the trade depending on the PTBNL.

#27 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

So as currently constructed (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), here is the pitching...

Rotation:
Chen
Tillman
Gonzalez
Saunders
Britton

Bullpen:
J. Johnson (closer)
Strop (8th)
Gregg
Ayala
O'Day
Matusz (lefty)
Arrieta (long man?)
S. Johnson (long man?)

> If Patton returns, he probably takes one of the bottom three listed in the bullpen.
> When Hammel gets back (Britt just said on Twitter his target date is September 6), he would take (presmably) Gonzalez's spot.

Is this accurate??

I think either Steve Johnson or Gonzalez is first to go down (other would stay in rotation). Then when Hammel comes back, the other goes down.
@JeffLongBP

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

I think either Steve Johnson or Gonzalez is first to go down (other would stay in rotation). Then when Hammel comes back, the other goes down.

I think Johnson will be sent down to make room for Saunders. He comes back up on Sept 1 in the bullpen.

For Hammel, I think it'll be Britton, although if he has a couple more really nice starts, he could stay and Gonzalez could be moved to the bullpen.

Remember, after Sept 1 nobody goes down. They just move to the pen.

#29 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

We know he's a reliable starter. Worst case is probably a 4.50 ERA over the final 5-6 starts. While I know that Tillman, Gonzalez, Britton, or Johnson could beat those numbers, they also could implode and pitch to an over 9.00 ERA.

Man, in the AL East I'm not sure that's his floor. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he pitched to a 5 ERA
@JeffLongBP

#30 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think Johnson will be sent down to make room for Saunders. He comes back up on Sept 1 in the bullpen.

For Hammel, I think it'll be Britton, although if he has a couple more really nice starts, he could stay and Gonzalez could be moved to the bullpen.

Truth. Good point.
@JeffLongBP

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,025 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

I guess. He still has to replace someone in the rotation though, and there is no one I'd want to see him start in-front of.

However, he does provide another option should you want to give Chen additional rest, or should another injury occur.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Man, in the AL East I'm not sure that's his floor. I wouldn't be completely surprised if he pitched to a 5 ERA

Ok, that's fine. It's a small sample so anything can happen. The point is that you know roughly what Saunders is going to give you. You don't know anything about what the others are going to give. You can have optimism about each of them, and I do, but I think it's very fair to say that Saunders has a much better chance of being decent or better than they do. Mainly, he doesn't have as much risk to implode and be terrible over 5-6 starts as any of the young guys do.

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

The way they've been mixing and matching, it mainly saves travel between BAL and Norfolk...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'm not a big Saunders fan but I think this is a great trade for the team..depending on who the ptbnl is.

People are acting losing Lindstrom is a big deal.

Check out his game log:

http://espn.go.com/m... ... -lindstrom

Notice the scores of the games where he pitches? He is generally a guy Buck uses in blow outs. He hasn't really been relied upon in big situations much this year.

Losing him is nothing. Also, we get to see how Jake handles the pen.

As for Saunders...he isn't really that good. But he should provide us with some innings and with guys like Chen and Gonzalez being skipped and struggling at times as the work load piles up,having a vet innings eater has value. Now, the question I have is who is the ptbnl. Obviously, it's someone on the 40 man that they can't get through waivers. So, it better not be a "real" player.

#35 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

Very well said SG. I'd rather start Saunders than Hunter, Johnson, or Britton. And like you said, losing Lindstrom isn't a big deal.

#36 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Lindstrom on the trade: http://brittghiroli.... ... the-trade/

#37 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I believe that the reasoning behind this move is solid... time will tell, but adding a reliable starter and veteran to a young staff is not a bad thing.

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hammel, Chen, Saunders, Tillman and Britton should be the rotation once Hammel is back.

For now...Gonzo and Britton in rotation. Best one stays.(Johnson in this discussion too but he isn't a starter long term, so he can go to the pen)

BTW, Saunders has been lights out vs lefties this year...something to keep in mind for bp duties later on.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#39 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

casey willett ‏@cdwill77
Diamondbacks now have Lindtsrom,Albers,Hernandez,Bergesen all in bullpen. #Orioles
@JeffLongBP

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,704 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

Lindstrom on the trade: http://brittghiroli.... ... the-trade/

Classy stuff from Lindstrom. Wouldn't hate signing him on the cheap as a FA assuming his option for next season gets declined. Probably have seen the last of him in Baltimore, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=