• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,472 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

It is sort of amazing with how much we’ve sucked for largely 1/5 of a century we’ve never had the #1 pick in that time period.

I remember the excitement when we took Ben McDonald at 1 in '89.

He was viewed as a generational talent.  Made it to the bigs that same Summer, getting the start in Toronto that last weekend.

Did have a couple of productive years. One season he was really good (not reflected by record).

#62 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 01 July 2018 - 12:52 AM

Still number 1. Keeping pace, 2 games ahead of KC (they are tough competition) . Mets a new entry in the 4 spot.  Detroit has lost 11 in a row and is closing fast in the 7th spot. 

1. Orioles: 23-59 (.280)

2. Royals: 25-57

3White Sox: 28-54

4  Mets: 32-48

5. Marlins: 34-50 

6. Reds: 35-48

7. Detroit: 36-48

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:50 PM

One game ahead of KC. If they get the #1 pick, after humiliating us in 2014, that's really going to annoy the shit out of me. More than it should, but it will.

#64 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:51 PM

I'm perpetually excited every time I see another precious loss pile up. Go get that number 1 pick baby! I BELIEVE!
  • CA-ORIOLE likes this

#65 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

I'm perpetually excited every time I see another precious loss pile up. Go get that number 1 pick baby! I BELIEVE!

As long as they don't screw it up. I would rather see them target a position player than a pitcher if they do get the No. 1 pick.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#66 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,723 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:16 AM

As long as they don't screw it up. I would rather see them target a position player than a pitcher if they do get the No. 1 pick.  

Grow the batz, buy the armz

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#67 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 11:26 AM

It would take an effort of monumental stupidity to screw up a top 3 pick. You or I could have drafted Manny with 2 minutes of research.

#68 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 03:35 PM

The O's could screw this up.

2006 O's draft Bill Rowell at 9. Giants draft Linecum at 10, AZ then drafts Max S.

2008 O's draft Matutz at 4, Giants draft Posey at 5.

2009 O's draft Hobgood at 5 and the Giants draft Zack Wheeler at 6.

#69 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 02:28 AM

2006 O's draft Bill Rowell at 9. Giants draft Linecum at 10, AZ then drafts Max S.

Yes I completely agree that the O's are absolutely putrid drafters. That's why they need as high a pick as possible - you remove the possibility that they might try think too hard or
evaluate too much. The top 3 picks are usually unanimously agreed upon (though the order may flip flop). Every single team would have taken Mize number 1 overall this year. I think that even the O's could pick the right person given a top 3 pick in the sport.

Then again, they never cease to surprise me with their remarkable incompetence, so anything is possible.

#70 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:31 AM

This may be breaking down to us and KC. As bad as we are, KC is really freaking bad.  We have lost 9 of our last 10 and KC ha lost 8 of their last 10. After the White Sox, there is quite a bit of separation developing.

1. Orioles: 24-61 

2. Royals: 25-61

3White Sox: 30-56

4  Marlins: 36-52 

5. Mets: 34-49

6. Padres 37-51

#71 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

I think if you went through each and every draft since its inception, you could find hundreds of such examples involving practically every major league team. In 2005, for example, Seattle took catcher Jeff Clement with the No. 3 pick, ahead of Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki and Andrew McCutchen. The Mariners also used the No. 3 pick in 2012 to draft another catcher, Mike Zunino, who currently sports a career. 207 batting average, while the Orioles used the next pick to take Kevin Gausman. So it cuts both ways.

The Royals had the No. 1 pick in that 2006 draft, which they used to draft Luke Hocheaver. Not only were Lincecum and Scherzer available that year, but so was that Kershaw fellow. The Tigers took Andrew Miller at No. 6 that year, one ahead of the Dodgers, who obviously drafted Kershaw. Miller eventually became a lights-out reliever. . .for teams other than the Tigers.

A year later, the D-Backs took pitcher Jarrod Parker at No. 9 while the Giants took Madison Bumgarner at No. 10. 

Since the draft's inception in 1965, just 39 players--out of roughly 50K or so selected--have made it all the way to the Hall of Fame. Of first-rounders, just 12 are now in Cooperstown, and of No. 1 overall selections--only Ken Griffey, Jr. and Chipper Jones are enshrined.

The numbers are certainly not promising, even though it should be pointed out that a much greater number of first-rounders went on to become productive major leaguers if not Hall of Famers. 

While it's true that a team's fortunes can turn on how well or how badly they ultimately draft, it's still an exercise in taking players virtually no one has ever heard of and trying to make projections you can't even begin to properly project. That's why the trade deadline is so important for the Orioles this time around, because it's the quickest way to build up a flagging farm system. 

The Yankees are the best example. Of the top 10 prospects in their system, only three came through the draft, and only one was actually drafted by the Yankees. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#72 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 05:50 AM

I'm on board with your mindset. The Royals are hanging tough but I give us an edge because we're in the AL East. Going to be a helluva race. Watching the Orioles yesterday, they look emotionally dead. Sad.

#73 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:05 AM

I think if you went through each and every draft since its inception, you could find hundreds of such examples involving practically every major league team. In 2005, for example, Seattle took catcher Jeff Clement with the No. 3 pick, ahead of Ryan Zimmerman, Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki and Andrew McCutchen. The Mariners also used the No. 3 pick in 2012 to draft another catcher, Mike Zunino, who currently sports a career. 207 batting average, while the Orioles used the next pick to take Kevin Gausman. So it cuts both ways.

The Royals had the No. 1 pick in that 2006 draft, which they used to draft Luke Hocheaver. Not only were Lincecum and Scherzer available that year, but so was that Kershaw fellow. The Tigers took Andrew Miller at No. 6 that year, one ahead of the Dodgers, who obviously drafted Kershaw. Miller eventually became a lights-out reliever. . .for teams other than the Tigers.

A year later, the D-Backs took pitcher Jarrod Parker at No. 9 while the Giants took Madison Bumgarner at No. 10. 

Since the draft's inception in 1965, just 39 players--out of roughly 50K or so selected--have made it all the way to the Hall of Fame. Of first-rounders, just 12 are now in Cooperstown, and of No. 1 overall selections--only Ken Griffey, Jr. and Chipper Jones are enshrined.

The numbers are certainly not promising, even though it should be pointed out that a much greater number of first-rounders went on to become productive major leaguers if not Hall of Famers. 

While it's true that a team's fortunes can turn on how well or how badly they ultimately draft, it's still an exercise in taking players virtually no one has ever heard of and trying to make projections you can't even begin to properly project. That's why the trade deadline is so important for the Orioles this time around, because it's the quickest way to build up a flagging farm system. 

The Yankees are the best example. Of the top 10 prospects in their system, only three came through the draft, and only one was actually drafted by the Yankees. 

Good rundown but bear in mind Yankees had some assets and coveted players to convert into prospects. They also had $$$ to drive some of those deals. Outside of Manny, we're not in that position. Jones, Brach and Britton are not getting you much. Bundy and Gausman would. At last look, the Orioles' farm system was ranked 16th, not great but not a cesspool either. We had a good draft in my opinion and we should be moving up. Enjoyed reading your post.

#74 birdwatcher55

birdwatcher55

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:14 AM

Yes I completely agree that the O's are absolutely putrid drafters. That's why they need as high a pick as possible - you remove the possibility that they might try think too hard or
evaluate too much. The top 3 picks are usually unanimously agreed upon (though the order may flip flop). Every single team would have taken Mize number 1 overall this year. I think that even the O's could pick the right person given a top 3 pick in the sport.
Then again, they never cease to surprise me with their remarkable incompetence, so anything is possible.

It's going to be hard for them to mess up next June with the first or second pick. From my research, there are three outstanding prospects on the board right now headed by Witt. Obviously it's early in the process but there is a glimmer of hope. My big fear is they change managers and get on a winning streak in September. Then all gets are off.

#75 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:34 AM

Timmy K:

The Orioles were 32 games out of first place entering July. In the 1970’s, in years that they didn’t finish first, they finished a total of 31 games out of first place. #quirkjians
  • Don Quixote likes this

#76 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 09:45 AM

It's going to be hard for them to mess up next June with the first or second pick. From my research, there are three outstanding prospects on the board right now headed by Witt. Obviously it's early in the process but there is a glimmer of hope. My big fear is they change managers and get on a winning streak in September. Then all gets are off.

That would be catastrophic. Let's hope not!

#77 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:33 AM

We've fallen behind (ahead of?) the '88 team.

Thru 85 games:

1988:  26-59

2018:  24-61

#78 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 11:19 AM

Thru 85 games:

1988: 26-59
2018: 24-61

The quicker we can trade off any good players, the better.

#79 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 05 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Lets keep it positive. 

#80 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

Timmy K:

The Orioles were 32 games out of first place entering July. In the 1970’s, in years that they didn’t finish first, they finished a total of 31 games out of first place. #quirkjians

I think it's actually a total of 31.5 games in the 1970's, but that doesn't change his point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=