#61 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:26 AM

You said you weren't a particular fan of Mobtown, right?

I haven't been since Covid but that was a pretty common spot for us until the shutdown. It's real close to my house. Breweries are great for babies and/or dogs. I like the beers, but I don't really notice the subtleties. I enjoy porter's that aren't sweet and they usually have one. Seems like they add new stuff fairly frequently. Or maybe I just can't remember the names.

Their rye porter is great.  Porter is one of my favorite styles (it's drinkable any time of year) and the rye is a nice variation of that.

#62 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:28 AM

My favorite breweries in Baltimore right now:

3. Wet City

Didn't care for Wet City.  Maybe I'll give them another try. 

#63 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:31 AM

Didn't care for Wet City.  Maybe I'll give them another try. 

I'll drink to that! :) :)

#64 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:07 PM

I will not stand for any slandering of Mobtown their beers are fantastic!

Lol, I didn't slander it.

Overall, their beers have a 3.75 rating on Untapped, which is quite good, at least in the Baltimore beer scene, which isn't elite.

#65 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:10 PM

Didn't care for Wet City. Maybe I'll give them another try.

When did you go? They were just a bar at first, but now obviously have the brewery aspect as well. I think it's really good as a bar alone, but they're also making some good beer.

#66 Why Not?

Why Not?

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 327 posts
  • LocationCharles Town, W.Va.

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:12 PM

May have said it before, but Harpers Ferry Brewing beer is ok but the views are among the best of any brewery in the area if not the country.

Agree with this assessment. The views are remarkable and the beer is decent. 

If you find yourself in the neighborhood, check out Abolitionist Ale Works in Charles Town. They have a good array of interesting, ambitious beers.  

#67 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:20 PM

When did you go? They were just a bar at first, but now obviously have the brewery aspect as well. I think it's really good as a bar alone, but they're also making some good beer.

I think they actually have the highest overall beer rating on Untapped among Baltimore breweries by a significant margin.

#68 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:28 PM

I think they actually have the highest overall beer rating on Untapped among Baltimore breweries by a significant margin.

Do you put much stock into Untapped?    I used it for a bit back in the day but moved on.  I feel like they are just another version of Beer Advocate and Rate Beer.

#69 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:36 PM

Do you put much stock into Untapped? I used it for a bit back in the day but moved on. I feel like they are just another version of Beer Advocate and Rate Beer.

I do to give me a more informed opinion on which breweries to check out if I'm outside my normal stomping grounds or which beers to order or buy.

I'll add that I'm much more of a try something new type than one that drinks the same beers over and over again. So untapped certainly helpful for that.
  • CantonJester likes this

#70 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 09:24 AM

For Maryland, I'd say the best breweries strictly in terms of their beer:

Burley Oak
RAR
Cushwa
Sapwood Cellars
Peabody

#71 SteveA

SteveA
  • Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:54 AM

Howard County has got some very good breweries and I've only seen Sapwood Cellars mentioned here.   They are an excellent brewer.

But they aren't the only brewer in Howard County.   Here's a rundown.

-- Black Flag -- if you like NEIPAs and Hazy's these guys are flat out the best in the Baltimore area.   They come out with new versions every couple months that are subtly different but all great.

-- Jailbreak -- a good variety of beers, and in the last year and a half they opened their own kitchen with great food.   Definitely go there for a meal and try some beers whenever Covid allows that type of thing again.

-- Hysteria -- love their flagship IPA, Trash Panda.   

-- Manor Hill -- HoCo's first farm brewer.   They have some solid beers.   Only open for guests on Saturdays.   Was a bit disappointed that the picnic tables outdoors are all set up on a paved parking lot rather than in the grass and trees.   They grow their own hops.

-- Sapwood Cellars -- they've been mentioned but they are really great.   They can do different styles and do them well.   They've got some really good sours, if you like those this is definitely the best spot in Howard County for that style.   Also some great IPAs.

• Nigel Tufnel and DuffMan like this

#72 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 10:55 AM

Of the ones you listed Manor Hill is by far my favorite

#73 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:21 AM

I like both Black Flag and Manor Hill a good amount. Don't really agree that Black Flag has the best hazy and NEIPAs in the area, but I haven't had any of their stuff since the pandemic started, so perhaps they've upped their game.

#74 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 11:50 AM

I'm a fan of Revelation Brewing, just outside of Rehoboth.  It may be because it's just off the Rehoboth to Lewes bike trail, but it's awesome to stop off there at the end of a ride.  I think they're about to open a much larger brewery in Georgetown, DE, in 16 Mile's old location.

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:24 PM

Have you guys been to any out here in Montgomery County? I like Seven Locks. There's also Saints Row, True Respite and Silver Branch, to name a few. Just curious your thoughts since you're much more into it than me.

#76 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:43 PM

Have you guys been to any out here in Montgomery County? I like Seven Locks. There's also Saints Row, True Respite and Silver Ranch, to name a few. Just curious your thoughts since you're much more into it than me.

Do you mean Silver Branch in Silver Spring?   They are right next to my work or where I used to work precovid.

They have some good beers that I've been trying lately.

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:46 PM

Do you mean Silver Branch in Silver Spring?   They are right next to my work or where I used to work precovid.

They have some good beers that I've been trying lately.

Yes, I haven't been yet - sorry for the typo. I'm in North Bethesda, super close to Seven Locks, highly recommend if you haven't been yet.

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

Have you guys been to any out here in Montgomery County? I like Seven Locks. There's also Saints Row, True Respite and Silver Branch, to name a few. Just curious your thoughts since you're much more into it than me.

Haven't been to any, but they all have good overall ratings on Untapped, especially Saints Row.

So I'll have to check them out.

#79 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,737 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 September 2020 - 01:58 PM

Yes, I haven't been yet - sorry for the typo. I'm in North Bethesda, super close to Seven Locks, highly recommend if you haven't been yet.

There's so many breweries this day it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a Silver Ranch as well.

Haven't been to any, but they all have good overall ratings on Untapped, especially Saints Row.

So I'll have to check them out.

If you go to Silver Spring you should also hit up Denizens and Astro Lab, Astro Lab makes a bunch of beers you like so I know you would like them.

• mweb08 likes this

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 02:05 PM

There's so many breweries this day it wouldn't surprise me at all if there's a Silver Ranch as well.

If you go to Silver Spring you should also hit up Denizens and Astro Lab, Astro Lab makes a bunch of beers you like so I know you would like them.

I've had a few beers from Denizens, but I don't think I've had anything from Astro Lab. Thanks for the recommendations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=