85 replies to this topic

#41 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:56 PM

Anyone been to Harper’s Ferry Brewery? Looking to go Saturday.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#42 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:29 PM

Sapwood Cellars in Columbia has entered the picture of best breweries in the area.

#43 Norman

Norman
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:20 PM

Sapwood Cellars in Columbia has entered the picture of best breweries in the area.

Never heard of it...but I do frequent Hysteria and Black Flag in Columbia.

#44 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 12:29 PM

Mobtown just opened up a brewery on my street in Canton.  Only been once so far but I had a couple pretty good beers.  Really liked the Pelennor Fields

One random question in general about breweries...why are the beers the same price there as they are at other bars or distributors?  Shouldn't they be cheaper since there are no distribution costs and the overhead pretty low compared to a separate bar?  But it's $6-8 for every beer at a brewery just like at any other bar.  Makes sense for one-off runs you can't get anywhere else, but for the major beer someone distributes?  Is there an extra taproom tax they have to pay or is it just that they know people will pay so they charge?

Just a minor nit to pick.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#45 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 01:48 PM

Some breweries that I've been to are cheaper, but that seems to have been more prevalent in the past. Not sure if there's a tax, but I'm sure the bars, many of which are effectively partners in selling craft beer, don't like to be undercut. On that note, I think there has been an uneasy relationship between bars as well as stores selling beer and craft breweries that sell on site as the latter has become more and more popular. More to your question, there has been some legislative battles on this front here and elsewhere, some of which has made it harder for breweries to compete as a place that sells their own product.

Regarding Mobtown,I wasn't impressed by the beer during my one visit.

#46 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:39 PM

A new brewery coming to Fells Point and I'd say it's a better use of the building: https://www.baltimor...&_hsmi=75511064

• Chris B likes this

#47 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:35 AM

A new brewery coming to Fells Point and I'd say it's a better use of the building: https://www.baltimor...&_hsmi=75511064

This could be really cool. There's a brewery in Cincinnati that did the same thing (I'm sure it's very common) called Taft's Ale House that does great business. 

EDIT: Should have read the article first...the owner definitely knows Taft's since he opened one of the largest breweries in Cincinnati (Madtree).

The church first caught the eye of Valery, a real estate developer. As more partners became involved, a brewery felt like the right fit for the church’s next life. Hunt—who also opened MadTree Brewing in Cincinnati, Ohio—says that turning the building into a 250-seat brewery has been a "unique undertaking."

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 08:32 AM

I'll be counting down my favorite 25 breweries in the region (not exactly the Mid-Atlantic).

First 5 in the countown: http://baltimorespor...reweries-visit/

16-20: http://baltimorespor...es-visit-16-20/

11-15: http://baltimorespor...atlantic-11-15/

6-10: http://baltimorespor...-atlantic-6-10/

1 - 5: http://baltimorespor...d-atlantic-1-5/

Bumping this since we have some new voices on here.

I'm curious what y'all think and recommend, and curious to see how my rough updated mental list compares to what I came up with 2+ years ago.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:24 PM

For me, some notable breweries on the rise since I wrote that include:

Dewey Beer Co
Cushwa
Wet City
Idiom

#50 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 04:29 PM

My favorite breweries in Baltimore right now:

1. Peabody
2. Union
3. Wet City
4. Nepenthe
5. Suspended
6. Checkerspot
7. Diamondback
8. Monument
9. Oliver
10. Waverly

#51 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,759 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 05:55 PM

You said you weren't a particular fan of Mobtown, right?

I haven't been since Covid but that was a pretty common spot for us until the shutdown. It's real close to my house. Breweries are great for babies and/or dogs. I like the beers, but I don't really notice the subtleties. I enjoy porter's that aren't sweet and they usually have one. Seems like they add new stuff fairly frequently. Or maybe I just can't remember the names.
  • DuffMan likes this

#52 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:00 PM

I mean if ya'll aren't afraid of a 20 min drive south, there's a nice up and coming spot here in Crofton. Chesepioc. They are good about bringing in food trucks, setting up movie nights out front, using the open space they have, and everything I've tried there has been really good.

http://www.brewcrab.com/

@JeremyMStrain

#53 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:01 PM

Out of the breweries I’ve been to in Baltimore (I’m sure I’m missing a couple but off the top of my head):
1. Union
2. Nepenthe
3. Diamondback
4. Waverly

On my list before covid happened: Ministry of Brewing, Mobtown, Guinness, Monument

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:24 PM

You said you weren't a particular fan of Mobtown, right?

I haven't been since Covid but that was a pretty common spot for us until the shutdown. It's real close to my house. Breweries are great for babies and/or dogs. I like the beers, but I don't really notice the subtleties. I enjoy porter's that aren't sweet and they usually have one. Seems like they add new stuff fairly frequently. Or maybe I just can't remember the names.

I need to give Mobtown another try or three. It was fine, but wasn't all that impressed on my first visit, which was shortly after they opened.

#55 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:28 PM

I mean if ya'll aren't afraid of a 20 min drive south, there's a nice up and coming spot here in Crofton. Chesepioc. They are good about bringing in food trucks, setting up movie nights out front, using the open space they have, and everything I've tried there has been really good.

http://www.brewcrab.com/

Good deal, I'll have to check them out.

As far as breweries a little south are concerned, I previously mentioned that I like Sapwood a lot. Crooked Crab is also pretty cool.

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,358 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:33 PM

I mentioned this in the article, but Orioles fans should definitely check out Peabody since it's on the grounds of where an older Oriole Park was and they actually incorporate that into the space.

Beer is quite good, too.

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:47 PM

Good deal, I'll have to check them out.

As far as breweries a little south are concerned, I previously mentioned that I like Sapwood a lot. Crooked Crab is also pretty cool.

Yeah we aren’t far from Crooked Crab at all I was gonna suggest that one too.

I think someone said Calvert Brewing Company opened a place a few miles down 301 from us too but haven’t been there.
@JeremyMStrain

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 06:51 PM

May have said it before, but Harpers Ferry Brewing beer is ok but the views are among the best of any brewery in the area if not the country.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#59 dorfmac

dorfmac
  • Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:21 PM

Allow me to contribute Wyndridge Farms to the list in Red Lion, PA. Straight shot up 83, about 10 minutes over the line. Amazing views, fantastic restaurant, and a nice collection of beers and ciders. As a cider guy, it’s my favorite spot in the area.

I’m also a big fan of BC Brewery in Hunt Valley. Always a wide selection and unique options, but the real win is being able to pour your own and sample anything and everything before committing.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#60 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,736 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 August 2020 - 11:21 AM

I will not stand for any slandering of Mobtown their beers are fantastic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=