• Please log in to reply
399 replies to this topic

#61 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

The Eagles lost another receiver today.   Arrelious Benn tore his ACL and will miss the season.   They're really going to need Cooper to keep his stars n' bars in check.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#62 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

WR Arrelious Benn tore his ACL, out for the season. I don't think they were going to cut him before, unless the situation was completely untenable in the locker room, but gotta think this further cements Cooper's eventual return.

#63 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 08:08 PM

Grantland: Same Old Chip: What We Learned About the Eagles Offense in Their New Coach's Preseason Debut
http://www.grantland...preseason-debut

#64 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:41 PM

mccoyjukes.gif

#65 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

Sports on Earth: The new Eagles offense summed up in one play
http://miketanier.sp...up-in-one-play/

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

Cary Williams and Riley Cooper had a fight today during practice...Vick had to break it up.

#67 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

mccoyjukes.gif

Wow, that cut back he makes on #58 is sick. I have him on my big money fantasy team, so I hope he does this all season.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#68 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Looks like McCoy is going to have a crazy year. Figures, I had him last year as my first round pick. His down year will be sandwiched between a 20 TD year and a 1,500+ 10+ TD year.

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:36 PM

Grantland: In-flight entertainment
http://www.grantland...night-football/

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:57 AM

Grantland: The power of the Chip Kelly Offense
http://www.grantland...p-kelly-offense

#71 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

Chip Kelly inherited a roster better suited than most, if not all, teams for his style of offense, but just wait until he has a couple of drafts to put together even more his style team. I know it's only one game, but I'm a believer. I think they're going to be the most entertaining team in the league to watch this season. If the defense can be league average and Vick can stay healthy, look out.

• Matt likes this

@AdamWolff

#72 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Imagine if Maclin didn't get hurt how much more explosive this offense could be.

I think one thing a lot of people forgot about was Jason Peters. He's back and healthy and their first pick was an OL (and he graded out as #1 run blocker in Week 1) which greatly improves what was a horrible OL last year.

Like you said, imagine in a few years when he drafts more of his type of players. I hope he isn't on a short leash and gets the chance to really build that team his way.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#73 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:49 AM

Chip Kelly inherited a roster better suited than most, if not all, teams for his style of offense, but just wait until he has a couple of drafts to put together even more his style team. I know it's only one game, but I'm a believer. I think they're going to be the most entertaining team in the league to watch this season. If the defense can be league average and Vick can stay healthy, look out.

I've been hearing this all week long.  All the talking heads on ESPN are saying the same thing.  Saying the fast pace of the offense made them dizzy and it was fast but not as fast as it could be and blah blah blah blah blah.  Only one guy on tv I saw (Wilbon of all people) actually mentioned that the Eagles ability to run so many plays in the 1st half was partly aided by the Redskins being in a glorified preseason game and turning the ball over at every opportunity.

Now, granted I may be a bit biased but I'm gonna need to see more than 1 game.  And one game where the Redskins didn't turn the ball over 4 times (yes I'm counting the fumble/safety as a turnover because it did give Philly the ball back), 3 of which in the 1st quarter.  The Eagles didn't do much in the 2nd half (I think they ran only 24 plays or so).  Now who knows how much of that was Kelly dialing things back a bit, Haslett and the Redskins defense getting a better handle of things, the Redskins offense actually sustaining drives, or a combination of all?  Plus, who knows if Vick will be able to stay healthy if he keeps getting pounded on like he was last week?

Hell, I remember when Spurrier came to the NFL everyone was talking about how he'd be doing stuff in the NFL that no one else had seen or done before.  And in his 1st year they went 4-0 in the pre-season and beat up on the Cardinals in game 1.  At that time everyone was on the Spurrier-wagon.  We all know how Spurrier's NFL career went. 

I'm not saying Chip Kelly is destined for the same fate, but I'm not gonna jump on the Kelly and the Eagles offense are gonna dominate the NFL for the next 10 years train either.

• Oriole85 likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#74 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm wondering if he can do what Jim Harbaugh did in SF. Take a lot of the same pieces and make them a contender. If Chip Kelly is a success in Philly, I think it will encourage a lot of other teams to go out of the box with more non-traditional college hires. Remember this is a guy with no pro experience and who wasn't too long ago, the OC at New Hampshire. I love how he's not the generic coach and has his own style.

@levineps

#75 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:20 PM

I've been hearing this all week long.  All the talking heads on ESPN are saying the same thing.  Saying the fast pace of the offense made them dizzy and it was fast but not as fast as it could be and blah blah blah blah blah.  Only one guy on tv I saw (Wilbon of all people) actually mentioned that the Eagles ability to run so many plays in the 1st half was partly aided by the Redskins being in a glorified preseason game and turning the ball over at every opportunity.

Now, granted I may be a bit biased but I'm gonna need to see more than 1 game.  And one game where the Redskins didn't turn the ball over 4 times (yes I'm counting the fumble/safety as a turnover because it did give Philly the ball back), 3 of which in the 1st quarter.  The Eagles didn't do much in the 2nd half (I think they ran only 24 plays or so).  Now who knows how much of that was Kelly dialing things back a bit, Haslett and the Redskins defense getting a better handle of things, the Redskins offense actually sustaining drives, or a combination of all?  Plus, who knows if Vick will be able to stay healthy if he keeps getting pounded on like he was last week?

Hell, I remember when Spurrier came to the NFL everyone was talking about how he'd be doing stuff in the NFL that no one else had seen or done before.  And in his 1st year they went 4-0 in the pre-season and beat up on the Cardinals in game 1.  At that time everyone was on the Spurrier-wagon.  We all know how Spurrier's NFL career went. 

I'm not saying Chip Kelly is destined for the same fate, but I'm not gonna jump on the Kelly and the Eagles offense are gonna dominate the NFL for the next 10 years train either.

I was talking to my dad last night and I made that same comparison -- I wasn't entirely sure but I thought he got off to a good start.

@levineps

#76 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

They ran the clock out in the second half. Kelly knows his defense is not good. The defense is more of a concern than the offense IMO.

#77 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yeah lets remember for as dominating as that offense looked in the first half, it was playing against a defense that couldn't get off the field for the first 10 minutes with a high-octane no huddle. I'd expect them to do what they did. Also, they were SHUT down after that point, and as dominating as PHI was in the first, they got run over in the second, and the Skins were far from sharp.

That defense looks pretty bad, and the offense can't keep up that pace 4 quarters in the pros, it's just too physically demanding to happen. You can't rotate 30 players in to make it work like in college. So I think you'll see a lot of games like this last one out of them, except most games the opponents offense won't give them 3 straight possessions in their own zone to start the game. So they better figure out how to own the clock and not let teams run over them in the 2nd half wearing down their defense.

@JeremyMStrain

#78 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

Here's a good piece by Barnwell on Chip's offense and the Skins game: http://www.grantland...p-kelly-offense

#79 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

Don't really agree with some of that, especially about the 2nd half. Chip Kelly has NEVER been one to pull back on an offense, and he wouldn't pass up his first chance to do so in the NFL, he would have made a statement and scored 100 if he could.

The defense was finally getting some rest and was catching up to the offense, and catching on to how it was run. It's funny he shows that play of Vick running since that's the one he got hurt on, and it took away much of their read option power since he couldn't run as fast. (Kinda like Grif in the first half) Then WAS started keying in more on McCoy and worried less about the deep pass (did they throw the ball more than 10 yards in the air all night?)

@JeremyMStrain

#80 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Don't really agree with some of that, especially about the 2nd half. Chip Kelly has NEVER been one to pull back on an offense, and he wouldn't pass up his first chance to do so in the NFL, he would have made a statement and scored 100 if he could.

The defense was finally getting some rest and was catching up to the offense, and catching on to how it was run. It's funny he shows that play of Vick running since that's the one he got hurt on, and it took away much of their read option power since he couldn't run as fast. (Kinda like Grif in the first half) Then WAS started keying in more on McCoy and worried less about the deep pass (did they throw the ball more than 10 yards in the air all night?)

I think they did slow down the tempo in the second half and I wouldn't be surprised if they played more conservatively otherwise so they could avoid showing certain things to future opponents and to protect the lead. 

I do think the Skins inability to take up any time on offense early on played a large role in the Skins defensive issues. 

And yeah, Vick threw some beyond 10 yards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=