#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,356 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Very interesting and I have to assume what they're doing will be helpful.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

SI: Maclin carted off with apparent leg injury
http://tracking.si.c...t2_a1&eref=sihp

#24 Brobey

Brobey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 561 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Torn right ACL. Done for the year in a contract year...
@brobey1

#25 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

At least he doesn't get to kill the Redskins twice while playing for a contract. Too bad for the guy, no doubt, but I don't mind him being gone this year.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Do a google search for Riley Cooper video.

#27 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Another fine alum from the University of Florida.
  • McNulty likes this

#28 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

People were saying they thought Cooper should be suspended by the league...That isn't happening.

Do you guys think he should have been suspended?

#29 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:24 AM

What an idiot.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

People were saying they thought Cooper should be suspended by the league...That isn't happening.

Nope, just heavily fined, which he was.

Kobe Bryant wasn't suspended and there's 80 games in the NBA. I don't think it makes sense to suspend someone who plays less than a quarter of this.

He was wrong, he apologized, I'm a big believer in second chances.

@levineps

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:43 AM

I think a good case can be made he should have been released. Vick coming to support him is the best thing that could have happened in the locker-room, but I have a hard time believing his teammates ever get past it. To me, it will be a distraction which just lingers.

As Madison said though, he now has a 2nd chance.

#32 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:48 AM

But is he prepared for that 2nd chance?  It's not like he's been through counseling.   He's the same guy today as he was yesterday, minus a few bucks.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#33 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

But is he prepared for that 2nd chance?  It's not like he's been through counseling.   He's the same guy today as he was yesterday, minus a few bucks.

And having gone through the intense glare / scrutiny of the National spotlight. If he has any sense at-all (and you can obviously argue he does not based on the comments), he will realize to at-least keep his dumb opinions to himself from now on.

If Maclin hadn't been injured, I think the odds of him just being released would have been higher.

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

The thing is, I'm sure African American athletes are used to white teammates who are racist anyway, or at least suspect it. They probably mostly have thick skin about it, and just let it roll because they have their own career to worry about. This being so explicit is an issue, for sure, but I don't think we should pretend that racism doesn't exist in the locker rooms anyway to a large degree. I guarantee that it does, and that we just don't hear about it as much because not everyone is as dumb as Cooper just was.

And no, he shouldn't have been suspended... but I wish there was some kind of racism rehab. It needs to stop.

#35 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

I think a good case can be made he should have been released. Vick coming to support him is the best thing that could have happened in the locker-room, but I have a hard time believing his teammates ever get past it. To me, it will be a distraction which just lingers.

I don't really think he should've ever been considered to getting released, what he did wasn't worse than guys who commit violent crimes. He made a mistake, a big one, one that I think is getting overblown. The Broncos FO guys did way worse and they are getting a second chance. And yes, I'm a big believer in second chances, especially in these kind of cases. And I'm usually more offended by this stuff than most people. I'm not sure if he's sincere or not, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt here. If he does something similar again, I would absolute advocate for his release. Winning is the ultimate goal of any team and if he's a team player and helps them to that goal, I think it will be easier to get rid of that distraction. Good on Vick for coming to his side here also.

I think he can definitely learn from this. Take Kobe Bryant, he's the first person to condemn when people use anti-gay language now.

@levineps

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

The thing is, I'm sure African American athletes are used to white teammates who are racist anyway, or at least suspect it. They probably mostly have thick skin about it, and just let it roll because they have their own career to worry about. This being so explicit is an issue, for sure, but I don't think we should pretend that racism doesn't exist in the locker rooms anyway to a large degree. I guarantee that it does, and that we just don't hear about it as much because not everyone is as dumb as Cooper just was.

And no, he shouldn't have been suspended... but I wish there was some kind of racism rehab. It needs to stop.

I got no problem if the NFL and/or the Eagles required him to go to sensitivity training like MLB did with Ozzie Guillen.

It's not so much racism exists because it does -- but I tend we as a society tend to gravitate towards to our own more often than not (race, religion, ethnicity, economic levels), it's just easier to relate to those in our comfort zone. It's somewhat of taboo subject.

@levineps

#37 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

And having gone through the intense glare / scrutiny of the National spotlight. If he has any sense at-all (and you can obviously argue he does not based on the comments), he will realize to at-least keep his dumb opinions to himself from now on.

If Maclin hadn't been injured, I think the odds of him just being released would have been higher.

Good point on Maclin injury, IMO and I know it matters even if these are "football based" decisions -- I think the same decision should've been made regardless in this situation.

@levineps

#38 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

I was listening to Colin Cowherd this morning and Toi Cook called in...He was with the Panthers when Collins used the N word, although Cook said the media took it out of context.

Anyway, he said that the N word is used by all players, all the time in the locker room...But, the way Cooper used it was different.

Now, Colin brought up a good point IMO...He said that as offensive a word that is, it has become commercialized...used in the lockerroom like any other word, in rap songs, on TV, etc....And because of that, people don't seem to believe it is offensive a word anymore.

I think he is right...but I also think the way Cooper said it was meant to be derogatory.

Yesterday on PTI, Tony and Mike said he had to be suspended...To me, that is bs.  Its not that I am condoning it but no way should he be suspended, at least not by the league.  If the team wanted to suspend him, so be it...but not the league.

#39 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:06 PM

It's been commercialized, but if any folks at all are offended then it's wrong. JayZ making the word cool doesn't change history. Cooper is an ass.

#40 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

It's been commercialized, but if any folks at all are offended then it's wrong. JayZ making the word cool doesn't change history. Cooper is an ass.

No doubt...but it does mean is that it gets used so frequently that the chances of it coming out of your mouth greatly increase.(not condoning it, just saying that is what happens)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=