#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:49 PM

7 years / 45 million ?

Seems like a risky guy to commit to long term. And without much benefit as I don't think his price would explode compared to right now if he has a very good 2020.

And even if you did want to, this feels like 33-50% too much money.

Next two years for league min, 3 arb years (maybe 1 and 4 years if super 2 which increases things a little but not a ton), and 2 FA years for Santander I would guess you can get for $30M right now if not less. And can probably make those FA years options for about $16-18M total. Guaranteeing $45M seems like way more to me than what you'd have to commit to if you did want him for that long.

#63 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:13 PM

It's the service adjusted version of Eugenio Suarez.

That's the kind of guy you hope to find doing this.  (not necessary to do this to play Santander, but that's a different topic)

Santander is clearly the best of the guys who we've seen this side of Mancini, so just wondering if anyone thinks we've found a Suarez.

#64 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:22 AM

I thought the benefit of young cost controlled guys was that they were young and cost controlled. 7 years $45M seems like the total opposite of that. If he does this for an entire year next year then maybe lock him up. But I think the chance he is as good or DFA’ed next year are about equal with the more likely scenario of mediocrity.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:21 AM

No chance he's DFA next year. Will still be dirt cheap and has options remaining.

I support the general idea of extending Santander if you think he's legit. Just don't need to spend that much to do it.

I think saying he's clearly the best guy since Mancini is way premature. Excellent performance in MLB this year. But he also only had a 725 OPS in AAA this year in an offensively inflated league. 350 MLB PA were great but 200 MiLB AAA were quite bad. I'm not committing anything near $45M to him yet. That seems wildly aggressive.

#66 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:06 AM

I don't think he is DFA'ed next year but I think the chances are far more likely that he is a DFA type guy (IE, poor production and you don't care if you lose him) vs a guy you believe is worth extending.

If you do believe in his talent, I agree that dudes contract is too much.

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:30 PM

Seth just posted this on his FB page:

Since being recalled to the Majors for good on June 7, Orioles outfielder Anthony Santander has hit more home runs than Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, Jose Altuve and Alex Bregman.

He has more hits than Mike Trout, Michael Brantley and others.

#rebuild
  • BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

#68 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,559 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 September 2019 - 08:48 PM

2019: .261/.297/.476 (.773), 20 doubles, 1 triple, 20 HR, 59 RBI, 1 SB, 380 AB

#69 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 06:35 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles’ Anthony Santander returns to workouts with challenging timeline to prepare for Opening Day

#70 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 09:57 AM

Santander confirms he tested positive for Covid-19. Said he was lucky he had mild symptoms. Was quarantined for 14 days. Now ready to go.

#71 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 July 2020 - 08:29 PM

Santander confirms he tested positive for Covid-19. Said he was lucky he had mild symptoms. Was quarantined for 14 days. Now ready to go.

Good to see him back.  I would not rush him for next week though

@mikeghg

#72 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:20 AM

Was nice he was able to get back for the Opener. Couple doubles already. Double yesterday knocked in 2 after Boston scored their first 2 runs the inning prior.

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 06:56 PM

Homer #1 today.

#74 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 July 2020 - 11:27 PM

We'll have to see how the Machado prospects pan out but it'd be funny if getting him in the rule 5 draft wound up being the most important thing Duquette did for the future

she/her

#75 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

DD didn't do anything for the future of the club. Nothing.

#76 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

The man phoned it in, from the time they did not let him go to the Blue jays.

@mikeghg

#77 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Really?  Mancini, Hays, Mountcastle, Means, GRod, Hall, Baumman, Lowther, Akin, Harvey = Nothing?

I don't put much stock in the 2018 trades (I think they had the wrong focus, that is quantity over quality) but the jury is out on about half of those guys.  There's more guys in there to consider.

Personally, I think DD did a generally poor job and would suggest he was actually worse than just mailing it in after the Toronto debacle (Orioles fault btw...just let him go)...but nearly 100% of the ranking that Elias is taking credit for today is the actual prospects that an under performing FO left for him.

#78 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,702 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:33 PM

Those guys listed aren't anything special, IMO. I like several of them, they just aren't unique talents as a group. I wouldn't call them nothing, but I do think it's fair to say Duquette did nothing novel to acquire them and that nearly every team has a similar crop of youngish talent.

#79 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,234 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

Those guys listed aren't anything special, IMO. I like several of them, they just aren't unique talents as a group. I wouldn't call them nothing, but I do think it's fair to say Duquette did nothing novel to acquire them and that nearly every team has a similar crop of youngish talent.

This and the scouts should get credit for whatever anybody wants to make of those guys. DD didn't do anything other than draft them based on recommendations from his staff.

I'll stick with my original opinion on him. Now I do agree with Dude on one thing. The O's should have not only let him go they should have kicked his butt out the door for even talking to the Blue Jays. Would have been good riddance.

And since I am on a rolll.....lol

Dear DD,

Cruz hit two more missles yesterday.

#80 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,833 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 09:59 PM

DD was a poor GM who didn't work as a GM in MLB for years before he got the job and likely won't work as a GM again. That said, I dont have much faith in any GM doing a good job here since the ownership is a huge ball and chain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=