6462 replies to this topic

#6281 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,483 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 November 2022 - 10:19 AM

The team released a statement confirming they hired BofA. This has to be the best day to be a WAS fan since their last Super Bowl.

#6282 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 10:20 AM

Holy crap, that's great news!

#6283 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 10:21 AM

The team released a statement confirming they hired BofA. This has to be the best day to be a WAS fan since their last Super Bowl.

Praying hard they dont get a worse owner, but there are lots of shady people with money.

#6284 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,962 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 10:21 AM

The team released a statement confirming they hired BofA. 

I hope this news is true and not just Snyder trying to make some kind of elaborate deez nuts joke.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#6285 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 02 November 2022 - 10:22 AM

praying hard they dont get a worse owner, but there are lots of shady people with money.

Like whoever buys the team probably won't be all that great of a person, but the bar is remarkably low here.

#6286 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 November 2022 - 11:02 AM

So happy for you guys, you deserve a quality organization. Huge first step.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#6287 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 11:08 AM

Like whoever buys the team probably won't be all that great of a person, but the bar is remarkably low here.

and we can say the same here, for the next owner of Birdland.

#6288 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 11:23 AM

and we can say the same here, for the next owner of Birdland.

Not really in terms of being a quality person.
  • sandiegosean likes this

#6289 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:08 PM

Not really in terms of being a quality person.

Seriously, Angelos isnt a saint and there are so many things he has done wrong in his ownership.

Angelos is a greedy old man that cares about money first and foremost. His owner box sat empty, because he didnt bleed Orange.

So yes, the bar is set pretty low here.

#6290 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:17 PM

Seriously, Angelos isnt a saint and there are so many things he has done wrong in his ownership.

Angelos is a greedy old man that cares about money first and foremost. His owner box sat empty, because he didnt bleed Orange.

So yes, the bar is set pretty low here.

Angelos and Snyder are comparable in their ineptness as owners. They aren't close to comparable in their personal conduct.  Snyder is basically universally considered to be a scumbag as a person.  Angelos does not have that reputation.

• JeremyStrain, DuffMan and makoman like this

#6291 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:29 PM

Angelos and Snyder are comparable in their ineptness as owners. They aren't close to comparable in their personal conduct.  Snyder is basically universally considered to be a scumbag as a person.  Angelos does not have that reputation.

There are stories about Angelos being such over the years.

He didnt get to be a high profile lawyer, by being Mr. Nice guy and not stepping on people.

2009 SI called him the worst MLB owner in the league and only Brady came to his defense.

#6292 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,381 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:52 PM

Angelos and Snyder are comparable in their ineptness as owners. They aren't close to comparable in their personal conduct. Snyder is basically universally considered to be a scumbag as a person. Angelos does not have that reputation.

This.

And that's not to say that Peter has been a saint, but they aren't comparable based on publicly available information.

#6293 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:55 PM

There are stories about Angelos being such over the years.

No, there is absolutely not.  Find one story where Peter is accused of sexually harassing someone, enabling harassers in his organizations, or ruining people's careers out of pure pettiness.

We're not talking about inept ownership.  We're talking basic human decency.  Angelos and Snyder are both terrible owners, but only Snyder is an actual scumbag.  Maybe Peter has some really dark skeletons in his closet that we don't know about, but there has been no type of public accusations against him as the myriad of accusations that Snyder has faced. "He's a lawyer so he must be shitty" is a really bad argument.

• BSLMikeLowe and BobPhelan like this

#6294 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 01:17 PM

No, there is absolutely not.  Find one story where Peter is accused of sexually harassing someone, enabling harassers in his organizations, or ruining people's careers out of pure pettiness.

We're not talking about inept ownership.  We're talking basic human decency.  Angelos and Snyder are both terrible owners, but only Snyder is an actual scumbag.  Maybe Peter has some really dark skeletons in his closet that we don't know about, but there has been no type of public accusations against him as the myriad of accusations that Snyder has faced. "He's a lawyer so he must be shitty" is a really bad argument.

Name me one person that worked for Peter, that praises him for being a good owner.

How many GM, VPs, Managers has he had?

Guys like Cal Jr retire and the team shuns him, and other players like Adam Jones. He ran Davy out of town, and Mussina.

Is he as bad as Danny, no. 

I think my original statement was,. Peter is a scumbag, and he set the bar, very low for the next owner.

#6295 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 01:25 PM

Name me one person that worked for Peter, that praises him for being a good owner.

This is not what anyone is talking about. Everyone agrees Peter is a bad owner.  Possibly as bad or worse than Snyder. 

Snyder is a clearly worse person than Angelos.  Dan Snyder is a bad person by all accounts.  Peter Angelos is not.

• NewMarketSean and DuffMan like this

#6296 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 November 2022 - 02:04 PM

This is not what anyone is talking about. Everyone agrees Peter is a bad owner.  Possibly as bad or worse than Snyder. 

Snyder is a clearly worse person than Angelos.  Dan Snyder is a bad person by all accounts.  Peter Angelos is not.

Please read and understand what people are saying.

This.  I also feel like Angelos has been much more charitable with his money and willingness to help out causes in the city of Baltimore.  I remember the one year he paid a few hundred thousand to keep the city pools open and tried to go about it in a way that it was anonymous.  And let's not forget that Angelos was the only owner that didn't want to use scab players back in the '90's to save a few books and stick it to the players, that sounds like something Snyder would do every day and twice on Saturday if given the chance.

#6297 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,891 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 02:52 PM

This.  I also feel like Angelos has been much more charitable with his money and willingness to help out causes in the city of Baltimore.  I remember the one year he paid a few hundred thousand to keep the city pools open and tried to go about it in a way that it was anonymous.  And let's not forget that Angelos was the only owner that didn't want to use scab players back in the '90's to save a few books and stick it to the players, that sounds like something Snyder would do every day and twice on Saturday if given the chance.

Yeah I think there are some pretty positive stories out there about Peter.  But primarily I am making a case against Snyder. 

#6298 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,606 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 03:48 PM

Angelos pretty much single-handedly built-up Mt Vernon and University of Baltimore. 

A year or two after I graduated an anonymous donor (had to be Angelos) paid for the entire class' tuition.

He may be a shark as a lawyer and a penny-pincher which makes him appear to be a bad guy but I agree with Mackus in separating his bad ownership from his person.

Snyder is a human piece of shit. Angelos isn't in his universe.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#6299 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 08:10 AM

I can't say I've ever heard anything about Angelos being comparitively similar in behavior to Snyder, but I do know first hand he is a penny pinching miser.  I know someone who used to be a communications coordinator with the Orioles.  She had quite a bit of responsibility.  She loved working for the Orioles and loved what she was doing, but her salary was very low and she was not given any benefits.  She finally left to take another job because of that.  

I think it's pretty low that a guy of his wealth, and the value of the entity that he owns, can't even provide basic health care coverage for all of his employees.  I can see if it was a smaller business, you expect that profit margin is low, but he has been raking in money for decades with the Orioles while putting out a basically inferior product.  And he's a prominent democrat!  Isn't that what the democratic party argues for?  I find him to be a deplorable human being, but for reasons quite different than those associated with Snyder.   

On edit:  I apologize for hijacking the conversation from Snyder to Angelos on a Commanders thread, but once I saw the argument I just couldn't help adding my feelings.  :)

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#6300 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 November 2022 - 09:41 AM

Wonder if Bezos will get in on it. The league has wanted him in as an owner for a while now, with his Washington Post ties it'd be interesting.

@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=