6462 replies to this topic

#5901 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:18 PM

Also, he was not Rivera's mistake, so it is easier to say goodbye.

I think Rivera has had enough. He said sometimes a person has to hit rock bottom before they wake up, or something along that line.

#5902 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:19 PM

TheLeagueDoneMessUp_BreakingT_shirt.0.jp

#5903 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:28 PM

What did Haskins do during/after the game?  I hadn't heard anything.

#5904 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:35 PM

What did Haskins do during/after the game?  I hadn't heard anything.

He refused to talk to the media and then rolled out.

Said later he assumed because the other QB talked to the press he didn't have to, so he just left (rule is that A QB has to talk, never said more than one).

PR said they tried to call him when he was driving and he didn't answer, but called back and did it from home once he got there.

I think it's BS, and think he pouted and left, and they called him and yelled at him so he got on after he got home.

Wasn't anything as big as last week. But they were already pretty furious with him after he went to the club after a big loss. One that arguably is all on him because it was a 5 point game, we had the ball on the 17 yard line, and he immediately takes 3 sacks to end the game. (I wouldn't normally blame a QB for taking sacks, but you could see as soon as the ball was snapped he was in panic/scramble mode and that's really why he got sacked) He did it in this game too with 12 min left, ball on the 40 4th and 2. Even the announcers said if he feels pressure he's gotta use his legs and step up to get that first, he starts to run, but then pulls up and tries to spin, and goes left to right and gets sacked. Heinicke had the same scenario 10 min later and scrambles for the first down.

@JeremyMStrain

#5905 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:39 PM

Fair all around. 

Was going to say their season ends this weekend and even if he's a distraction how much of a distraction can he be?  But I forgot Washington can still reach the playoffs. 

Think the assumption of more going on makes sense. 

I look at it mainly as Rivera making a statement. 

I think your last statement is 100% right.  I think he is trying to change the enviroment of a terrible organization, bad team and yes they are still bad and all that goes into it.  

@mikeghg

#5906 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 28 December 2020 - 02:44 PM

Fair all around. 

Was going to say their season ends this weekend and even if he's a distraction how much of a distraction can he be?  But I forgot Washington can still reach the playoffs. 

Think the assumption of more going on makes sense. 

I look at it mainly as Rivera making a statement. 

He made his statement with Guice. There's no doubt he's not playing around and won't put up with drama and distractions. But benching him in the first place was always about his lack of work ethic and unwillingness to prepare. He never would have seen the field again if it wasn't for both QB getting hurt, and after they saw Heinicke yesterday, they would have played him over Haskins from here out anyway. If Smith is back this week as most suspect, it's a moot point. But they've been really unhappy with him all year because of off the field issues already.

@JeremyMStrain

#5907 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 December 2020 - 04:06 PM

It may be slightly off topic, but I am not sure any of the teams in the NFC least are best served making the playoffs. All 4 teams are bad. If they make the playoffs, they drop down to 19 in the draft rankings.The winner may wind up losing in the long run.
@mikeghg

#5908 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 05:38 AM

There has to be someone that would've given you some return for him.

The trading deadline is over and Haskins is a major distraction. They weren't going to get much for him if he was kept on the roster. Classic case of addition by subtraction at this point. The kid has some talent, hopefully, this will be his rock bottom moment.
  • sandiegosean likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5909 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 07:09 AM

The trading deadline is over and Haskins is a major distraction. They weren't going to get much for him if he was kept on the roster. Classic case of addition by subtraction at this point. The kid has some talent, hopefully, this will be his rock bottom moment.

The season is over for Washington in no more than two weeks.

If he's that much of a distraction you could send him home. Maintain the asset, and look to find a taker by draft time.

Teams are QB starved and always believe they can turn guys around.

But whatever I guess. Do think they would've only got so much.

#5910 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 December 2020 - 11:47 AM

How many teams are really starved for a QB, you know besides the team that just cut Haskins? And of those teams, how many are likely to pick a QB high up in the draft themselves?

#5911 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:06 PM

How many teams are really starved for a QB, you know besides the team that just cut Haskins? And of those teams, how many are likely to pick a QB high up in the draft themselves?

Fair I guess.  I think NE qualifies.  Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Saints, Bucs, Pittsburgh all potential homes.  
Map larger if we think about backups.  Bringing in Haskins to learn while on the remainder of his rookie deal, and be a potential option if necessary. 

I'm not going to dig in here.   Just think DC could have potentially got something like a 4th or 5th had they held on. Something back, and maybe a cheap starter if you hit right in the draft.   But presumably DC did the evaluation, and didn't care, or didn't believe they could, 

#5912 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:22 PM

Fair I guess.  I think NE qualifies.  Philadelphia, Chicago, Detroit, Saints, Bucs, Pittsburgh all potential homes.  
Map larger if we think about backups.  Bringing in Haskins to learn while on the remainder of his rookie deal, and be a potential option if necessary. 

I'm not going to dig in here.   Just think DC could have potentially got something like a 4th or 5th had they held on. Something back, and maybe a cheap starter if you hit right in the draft.   But presumably DC did the evaluation, and didn't care, or didn't believe they could, 

I think if we talk about backups is pretty much exclusively what should be talked about. I could see a team offering a late pick for him to be a backup that could potentially compete for the starting job down the line. None of those teams you mentioned would think of Haskins for a starting job next year IMO. 

#5913 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 12:40 PM

I think if we talk about backups is pretty much exclusively what should be talked about. I could see a team offering a late pick for him to be a backup that could potentially compete for the starting job down the line. None of those teams you mentioned would think of Haskins for a starting job next year IMO. 

I doubt anyone grabs him in FA now and will be projecting him as their 2021 starter, so agree there. 

I think he'd be better off doing what Winston did this year and going somewhere where he could learn... vs. being likely to be pushed into action early. 

#5914 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:03 PM

I doubt anyone grabs him in FA now and will be projecting him as their 2021 starter, so agree there. 

I think he'd be better off doing what Winston did this year and going somewhere where he could learn... vs. being likely to be pushed into action early. 

I think Haskins is going to need to rehab his attitude.  Once word gets around the league, offers do not come easily.  Example, has anyone seen Earl Thomas on a field lately?

@mikeghg

#5915 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 01:33 PM

I think Haskins is going to need to rehab his attitude.  Once word gets around the league, offers do not come easily.  Example, has anyone seen Earl Thomas on a field lately?

Or Manziel. 

I think someone will decide they can give Haskins a look.  Can be a great buy low opportunity with pretty much zero risk. 

#5916 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:15 PM

Haskins at least has the history of Washington dysfunction working to his advantage as well as age.  In Thomas' case, teams are probably pretty concerned if a franchise like Baltimore released him, not to mention his age and what he wants to get paid.

Haskins has the disadvantage in that he never really showed he has the skills to go along with the bad attitude.

#5917 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, when the issues are just lack of production, there can be dozens of reasons why. When it's attitude, maturity and work ethic? You aren't going to find a whole lot of people willing to take a chance on that.

I mean this kind of stuff happens here...a lot...and most times it's the team. But even players (outside of Chase Young, who is his boy from college, and even used that as the sole reason he was standing up for him) have been down on him (Chris Baker who is a well respected vet around the league was pretty disgusted by him). Generally when this happens, and it's the team, lots of players will come out to offer some kind of veiled support. But crickets on this one. Should say a lot.

• Mike B likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#5918 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:08 PM

Yeah, when the issues are just lack of production, there can be dozens of reasons why. When it's attitude, maturity and work ethic? You aren't going to find a whole lot of people willing to take a chance on that.

I mean this kind of stuff happens here...a lot...and most times it's the team. But even players (outside of Chase Young, who is his boy from college, and even used that as the sole reason he was standing up for him) have been down on him (Chris Baker who is a well respected vet around the league was pretty disgusted by him). Generally when this happens, and it's the team, lots of players will come out to offer some kind of veiled support. But crickets on this one. Should say a lot.

Yea, all that makes sense.  I am not a WFT fan, and don't watch much of them, but he came off as awfully cocky, which is okay if you have done something.  I think Rivera may clean some other guys out over the off season.  Too bad he can not fire the jack ass in the owners seat.

@mikeghg

#5919 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 03:18 PM

Yea, all that makes sense.  I am not a WFT fan, and don't watch much of them, but he came off as awfully cocky, which is okay if you have done something.  I think Rivera may clean some other guys out over the off season.  Too bad he can not fire the jack ass in the owners seat.

Yeah, his words at the draft about the "league done messed up" have come back to bite him this week for sure. I'm a HUGE believer in the biggest attribute for a QB needs to be mental acuity. They have to be quick enough to recognize stunts and misdirections before the snap and how it's going to play with their play call. Have to be observant enough to know when the pocket is collapsing or someone is getting into their bubble and if they will have time to make the throw. Have to be able to recognize when there's a player watching where they are and baiting them into making a throw. Have to be able to see when a play isn't going to work on first read, second read, check down etc. And have to be able to think on the run when the play breaks down and they have to move around. Haskins just doesn't have any of that.

I mean to see a guy like Heinicke, who has some familiarity with the offense from CAR, but not THAT much, come in and make better plays and throws just because he can see when a guy is in triple coverage, see when a guy has a step and what shoulder the ball needs to be on, or to know he's got to move and then reassess on the run (2 first downs he got scrambling right? Maybe 3). If he had any kind of arm strength, I'd be asking how he was a FA. I mean the kid had 5,000 yards passing over 40 TD and beat VT his senior year. But you could see on a couple of the throws the ball was just hanging slowly cause he doesn't have the UMPF he needs, and once it got broken up, cause the defender had time to catch up and get to it. But you could see that the game doesn't move too fast for him at least. I think that's Alex Smith's biggest trait. He processes well and doesn't beat himself. Now when you get the ones that have that, AND have the physical tools, that's when you have a franchise guy.

We wouldn't know...we've never had one of those here.

@JeremyMStrain

#5920 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 29 December 2020 - 04:09 PM

The season is over for Washington in no more than two weeks.

If he's that much of a distraction you could send him home. Maintain the asset, and look to find a taker by draft time.

Teams are QB starved and always believe they can turn guys around.

But whatever I guess. Do think they would've only got so much.

The guy has been given multiple chances and he has come up short every time.

Why hold onto this distraction going into the biggest game of the year for a 7th round draft choice?

As I said before, addition by subtraction and I think we see Haskins in the NFL again.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=