• Please log in to reply
2061 replies to this topic

#1901 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,383 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 July 2023 - 01:21 PM

I did not. But that makes sense if the team isn't playing to your strengths, in any sport. 

I always forget the age factor as well, seems different in soccer. Feel like I've heard Pulisic's name for so long I could have sworn he was like 32. Watched the first half of the St.Kitts game and I think it was Reynolds they were talking about like he's some kind of journeyman. Broadcasters talked about the places he's been, the teams he made, the ones he didn't make, now he's back, then they pop up his bio and he's only 22. 

So my next question. Would Pulisic be better served playing in MLS? He would see playing time, in front of Americans (they need to not have in market games behind paywalls). Presumably would be one of the best players in the league and be paid as such. Seems like a win win all around. I kinda ask because CITY SC has this kid, Miguel Perez they signed at 15 to their academy, and this year he graduated High School on a Friday and scored his first MLS Goal on a Saturday. Born and raised in STL. He could be the Cal Ripken of this new franchise if he wanted, but every interview when they ask about the future he's all, "can't wait to play in Europe." Man, stay here. Over there he's probably just a guy, if that. 

MLS is a joke compared to Europe. That's the problem. Both in pay and in talent. The best players we can produce all go over there cause that's where the competition is. The one sport that's different.

It's like AAA compared to MLB.

@JeremyMStrain

#1902 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 July 2023 - 04:12 PM

I did not. But that makes sense if the team isn't playing to your strengths, in any sport. 

I always forget the age factor as well, seems different in soccer. Feel like I've heard Pulisic's name for so long I could have sworn he was like 32. Watched the first half of the St.Kitts game and I think it was Reynolds they were talking about like he's some kind of journeyman. Broadcasters talked about the places he's been, the teams he made, the ones he didn't make, now he's back, then they pop up his bio and he's only 22. 

So my next question. Would Pulisic be better served playing in MLS? He would see playing time, in front of Americans (they need to not have in market games behind paywalls). Presumably would be one of the best players in the league and be paid as such. Seems like a win win all around. I kinda ask because CITY SC has this kid, Miguel Perez they signed at 15 to their academy, and this year he graduated High School on a Friday and scored his first MLS Goal on a Saturday. Born and raised in STL. He could be the Cal Ripken of this new franchise if he wanted, but every interview when they ask about the future he's all, "can't wait to play in Europe." Man, stay here. Over there he's probably just a guy, if that. 

While MLS is way better than it was even 5 years ago and better than most fans give it credit it is still way behind the big european leagues. The play is much faster and that is also more akin to international play. 

You can develop the skill and tactical knowledge just fine in MLS. But one major piece is missing. Speed of play. To be the best you can develop to really means you must (at least for the foreseable future) go to Europe and get exposed to how much faster overall play is. Great you can come out of an MLS academy and do all the little things with the ball. But Europe is where you learn to do all those little things much quicker.

#1903 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 06:33 PM

I doubt they are better over there. Money always talks. Through Messi’s deal sounds ridiculous. Not to compare the two. But it seems like MLS teams could pay amounts to keep their American stars in America.

FWIW, CITY SC teaches a style heavily influenced by Man City’s Coach. They give us a youth soccer curriculum for the coaches at the Y. They’ve literally told us the skills and drills, even the mental side, are favorites of the best coaches in Europe, namely Pep.

Maybe that’s why CITY SC is in first place in the West as an expansion team.

Edit: meant to say “no doubt they are better over there.”
@BSLMikeRandall

#1904 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 July 2023 - 09:20 PM

I doubt they are better over there. Money always talks. Through Messi’s deal sounds ridiculous. Not to compare the two. But it seems like MLS teams could pay amounts to keep their American stars in America.

FWIW, CITY SC teaches a style heavily influenced by Man City’s Coach. They give us a youth soccer curriculum for the coaches at the Y. They’ve literally told us the skills and drills, even the mental side, are favorites of the best coaches in Europe, namely Pep.

Maybe that’s why CITY SC is in first place in the West as an expansion team.

MLS has a salary cap (though I think they allow one or two exceptions) that really limits what they can spend. I've advocated for letting the teams who want to (probably the big markets) spend more to try and lure more brand names like Messi to the league. That's how you get people interested in the league as whole....right now it feels like each team has its core in-market fans, but there is no appeal beyond that.

Say someone like NY or LA made a godfather offer to Ronaldo, imagine the hype the first time his team played Messi/Miami? The league needs to develop national appeal if it's going to really grow. Anything less and they are pretty much always destined to be Europe's AA affiliates, living off transfer scraps.

#1905 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 July 2023 - 09:15 AM

Be careful what you wish for. Want open ended money then take a look at the EPL. There are a handful of teams that have a legit top 4 shot each year. A whole bunch who are destined to just play the season and a handful who are going to fight relegation.

Its really hard to find your team moving from the middle group to a legit contender unless said club gets bought by a rich dude who loves soccer. You can argue all you want saying money doesn't buy you championships (ask Chelsea....lol) but the truth is money buys you a much better chance.

In discussing this with my son last night he pointed out another big reason why its important for our better players to play overseas. Its just not the match competition that is at a higher level but so are the training sessions. Lets go use Pulisic as an example.

Put Puli on any MLS team  and hes pretty much an auto start. He's not getting pushed in training by some other great player. There isn't anybody behind him on the depth chart who is going to force him to get better lest he loses his starting job. Now look at Pulisic and Chelsea (there use of him which was atrocious aside).  The manager doesnt' think he's performing so he goes to the bench and they trot Mason Mount out there.  Mount doesnt' cut it either? Guess what they don't go back and try Pulisic they try Havertz. 

This kind of pressure improves them in two ways. First the obvious, they have to work hard to get tactically better and more fit. Secondly they learn to handle the pressure which is really important for international play.

Again, MLS is moving in the right direction. I think in the next 5 or so years they will be a legit top 8 or so league in the world. But right now paying say our best 20 or so guys to stay in MLS would be a disaster for the national team.

#1906 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 July 2023 - 01:31 PM

AC Milan’s bid for Pulisic is for $21.8M.

https://www.espn.com...pulisic-sources

#1907 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 July 2023 - 01:06 PM

AC Milan’s bid for Pulisic is for $21.8M.

https://www.espn.com...pulisic-sources

Looking like it's a done deal. Good riddance to Chelsea!
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1908 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:31 PM

AC and Milan have agreed on the transfer fee and follow on fees. Pulisic and Milan had already agreed on his contract terms. So Milan is working on the travel to get Pulisic to Italy for his physical. Passes that and its a done deal.

Weah already introduced at Juventus.

Pepi already introduced at PSV Eindhoven

McKennie to Dortmund gathering steam. Man how I'd love to see him pairing with Reyna in their midfiled.

Ferriera wants to go to Europe.

Brenden Aaronson loan to Union Berlin close to final.

Musah still being looked at all across Europe but so far Vallencia hasn't let go.

Adams appears to be staying at relegated Leeds. Dang.

Interest in Dest seems ok but he really wants to stay in Barcelona. Dumb to me even though I get he just built a house there.

Balogun drawing interest from a number of EPL clubs including Chelsea. Please God NO!!!

Sunday is the quarter finals vs Canada. Look for a strong showing from out B squad. Players looking to show good during this transfer window. Third hat trick for Ferreira? Man that would be something!!

• DuffMan likes this

#1909 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:41 PM

Damn, are you serious about Adams, that blows. Of the 3 that were at Leeds I figured he would have the easiest time landing elsewhere

#1910 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 05:03 PM

Balogun drawing interest from a number of EPL clubs including Chelsea. Please God NO!!!

That would be ironic, considering Southgate's rationale for not calling him up to the senior team.

#1911 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 July 2023 - 06:17 PM

For the record I have petitioned my two Senators to prepare a bill making it law that no US player would ever be allowed to play for Chelsea again.  LOL

#1912 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 July 2023 - 09:39 AM

Transfer Updates:

Fulham and Crystal Palace are interested in Dest and talking to Barcelona who have lowered their asking price.

Dortmund and Aston Villa are still looking at McKennie.

Arsenal have the rights to Balogun but he desires first team playing time. Could end up back in France but Chelsea (God No!!), both Milan clubs are also interested.

No change in Pulisic move to AC Milan. Seems to be a done deal pending the physical.

#1913 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 July 2023 - 07:14 PM

Transfer Updates:

Fulham and Crystal Palace are interested in Dest and talking to Barcelona who have lowered their asking price.

Backline of Jedi, Ream and Dest???
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1914 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 10:07 PM

That was not pretty….needed an extra time own-goal and penalty kicks. But in the words of the late, great Jim Valvano, survive and advance, baby.

#1915 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 10 July 2023 - 08:31 PM

Been up since 345 and just got home from fishing.....I know rough life but somebody has to do it. Here's my thoughts on last night.

1. First half was not very good for either side. Mostly trying not to make a big mistake. US passing was horrible the first 30 minutes but got better toward the end.

2. 2nd half the US dominated. Controlled the run of play, had the more dangerous possessions, had a load of corners. Just couldn't find the net.

3. Canada started playing hockey in the second half. Their big back center backs and midfielders were all over our smaller guys. Unfortunately the ref let way too much go. At one point Zendejas got literally shoved in the back twice in a 5 second span and neither was called. Just poor.

4. The Canada tying PK was really sad. Now it was  "penalty" in that Robinson's arm was not at his side. But good grief it was a bouncing ball amidst three players. Not a dangerous scoring opportunity for Canada and no impact or intent. But it was probably the correct call under current rules interpretations. 

5. The US dominated the extra time massively. They showed a ton of heart coming back after Canada's second goal (which was a hell of a shot) Turner needed to be another yard off his line IMO and he gets the save. But that was a terrific finish by the Canadian.

6. PKs is a horse shit way to decide a match but at least we have Turner who is very very good at them

Now on to Panama which will be tough. The US is the better team. Period. But Panama having an extra day of rest and the US having to play extra 30 minutes and PKs is a real equalizer. Still come Wednesday night I think we get it done and head to the final.

#1916 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,526 posts

Posted 12 July 2023 - 09:34 PM

Similar script as the Canada match, different result. I hope all our A-listers are healthy next time around, because with a couple exceptions this B-squad is nothing to write home about.

#1917 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,546 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 July 2023 - 10:19 PM

Yeah that was yuck.

#1918 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 08:49 AM

Panama? Really? The US still sucks at soccer. The men anyway.

And why are we starting the B squad in an international tournament? If you want people to care, then pretend to care all the time. Not once every four years. Maybe having the A squad here gets them battle tested for World Cups?
@BSLMikeRandall

#1919 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,397 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 July 2023 - 09:40 AM

Not a good performance or result but I need to set the record straight here. Some of you frankly don't understand the purpose of this tournament.

1. The Gold Cup is almost always when reserve players are given minutes, especially younger guys who have not played much with the senior team. This is how you build depth. Then a couple of senior guys who are probably no longer key members of the team but have the experience are brought in for their leadership especially in training.

2. Its not just a WC every four years. Perhaps you missed last months Nations League where they did play the A team and won the dang thing. Next summer we hopefully get in COPA America.

3. The timing of the Gold Cup is always difficult for roster selection. Do you call in your best B team players? Or is it better for their development and the US senior program to have those guys with their respective club teams for in preseason training? The fact is this team had a lot of C level players or at least didnt' include a handful of guys that most would consider B teamers. Here's the B and C teamers that were either injured or the coaches felt it was more important to have them with their clubs:

Tim and Malik Tillman

Taylor Booth

Aaron Trusty

Kellyn Acosta

Paxton Aaronson

Tanner Tessman (was called in but declined since he was getting married)

Emerson Palmer-Brown

Richie Ledezma

Kevin Paredes

Josh Sargent

Jordan Pefok

Haji Wright

4. Neither Canada or the US sent their A teams for the above reasons. Mexico, Panama, and Jamaica sent their A teams. Keep that in mind when evaluating how teams did.

5. The US got a day less rest than Panama and had to play an extra 30 minutes in the quarterfinal. That has an impact and the Panama still had to go to PKs to beat this B/C team. We still should have won but its not like we got shown the door.

6. Several players that fans have been calling for to get senior team minutes were called in (which is good). And we learned some things, good and bad:

Stock Down:

Aiden Morris who many think is the best replacement for Tyler Adams left the team for personal reasons. Probably not a good thing.

Alex Zendejas has been stellar in the LIga MX. Well he was flat awful.

Brandon Vasquez is a big strong striker and playing well in MLS. He had a great header against Canada and earned a start last night. Did nothing.

Alan Sonora plays great in Argentina. Didn't look international level quality at all.

Stock Up:

James Sands was really good throughout.

Cade Cowell is very dangerous. Right now he is the master of hitting the goal posts but he is a strong fast player.

Dejaun Jones - superb tournament and clearly ready for senior team duty.

Jalen Neal has the potential to be a really good center back. Not there yet but he's only 19.

Gianluca Busio - back in the senior team picture

To me the  biggest disappointment is that I don't get to see them play on Sunday and not have to wait until September.

• You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this

#1920 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 13 July 2023 - 11:02 AM

Yeah. Considering the size of the nations in the Nations League, The USA "A" Team should play in the finals every year at a minimum if not win. 

If you're telling me something is for the "B" team to develop, then this is basically spring training with a trophy. For you die hards that care about the reserves that much, great. I don't think this is a good look for casual fans. (It's not about the fans, it's about development, okay, but if you want more fans, you kinda need to put on a good show). 

Sorry. Pulisic hasn't played a game in how long? And the first regular season game with his new team is a month away. Has a friendly in a week, and these guys play twice a week most weeks, yes? 

Develop guys in the friendlies when it doesn't matter. Put the "B" team out there against Uzbekistan and Germany and the like this fall when those games are strictly exhibitions. 

@BSLMikeRandall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=