#1881 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 June 2023 - 05:00 PM

FIFA has them at #13, as of April 6, which feels about right. Maybe they move up a bit if they follow the Nations League title with a Gold Cup win.

Their next big opportunity to show how far they've come is next summer in the Copa America, which they get to host (though they don't automatically qualify, they have to finish Top 4 in the next Nations League cycle).

Copa next summer will show us a lot. Are they top 10 right now? No, I agree Mike low teens looks about right.

Do they have the pieces to develop to a top 10 club. Absolutely. Note that last night was the youngest tournament lineup the US has ever trotted out there.

#1882 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 June 2023 - 04:22 PM

US vs Jamaica in our first group stage game of the Gold Cup. Probably our toughest match during the group stage. Jamaica has 7 starters playing in the EPL. This will be a tough one.

#1883 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 09:14 PM

Steve, sorry if you've explained this before, why is Qatar in this?

#1884 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 June 2023 - 09:33 PM

So why does the US seem to value the Nations League more than the Gold Cup, as both times since NL began the US has mostly had the A-squad play in NL and the B-squad the GC? I understand wanting to give both a chance to play, and the A-guys some rest, I'm just wondering if one is more important or prestigious than the other.

#1885 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 09:38 PM

Steve, sorry if you've explained this before, why is Qatar in this?

I know from time-to-time CONCACAF has invited guest countries from outside the federation to participate. Why Qatar specifically this time (they also played in 2021), I don't really know.

• glenn__davis likes this

#1886 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 24 June 2023 - 11:20 PM

Barely avoided a loss there.

#1887 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 June 2023 - 08:42 AM

Interesting match last night. To me the US was clearly the better team talent wise. Where they struggled was in finding each other. Remember that they only had a very short camp after Nations League was finished last weekend! And if you have watched the Gold Cup over the years the pattern is pretty typical. Look disjointed early in the group stage but things start to come together and they look much better in the knockouts.

The US controlled most of the play as evidenced by possession, shots, corners but Jamaica had their chances and don't forget they had I think 7 EPL players. Jamaica is a solid team and I give them a decent shot to make the WC in 2026.

Still ont the best performance but the late goal is way better than what was looking like a 1-0 loss. Next two matches are going to be much easier.

#1888 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 06:39 PM

I know from time-to-time CONCACAF has invited guest countries from outside the federation to participate. Why Qatar specifically this time (they also played in 2021), I don't really know.

Really? You don’t know?

$$$$$$$$$!!!
@BSLMikeRandall

#1889 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 06:41 PM

Side note, never heard of St. Kitts and Nevis. Would be the 113th biggest city in America and has the population of a sold out Camden Yards.

If the US doesn’t win by 5 goals they should be relegated.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1890 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 June 2023 - 08:09 AM

Couple of tidbits.

1. The original deal to have Qatar play in the Gold Cup was for 2 cups. So this was the second end of that deal.

2. Tonight when the opening whistle blows it will mark the 100th different country the US has faced in international play.

3. Canada tied that soccer powerhouse Guadalupe last night......LOL

4. Now for tonight be careful to judge the quality of our play based upon some targeted score. When a team is clearly outmatched its common for the stronger team's coach to implement some tactics to set up future matches. Those tactics may not be the best in the current match if all you want to do is run up the score. For example, if they wanted to work on their aerial game in the box they could start Vasquez at the 9 and Ferriera at the 10. Play the ball up the middle to Ferriera who feeds Cowell and Zendejas on the wings to then cross to the penalty spot for Vasquez. This has been a weak spot in our attack for years so this would be a good match to work on that. But you wouldn't start Ferriera at the 9 to press if you wanted to do this. He's too small to be a target for the header game in the box.  Point is yes we should win convincingly but don't automatically equate convincingly with X amount of goals.  Not pinging on Mike just pointing out that the score and the quality of play do not always totally line up.

#1891 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,609 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 28 June 2023 - 09:35 AM

The USA is -20000 tonight lol

St Kitts is +6000 coming back in case you think the entire US team has a stomach bug or something.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#1892 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:30 PM

Somewhat off-topic, but sounds like Pulisic could be headed to AC Milan, but the transfer fee might be a sticking point.

#1893 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 June 2023 - 06:50 PM

Somewhat off-topic, but sounds like Pulisic could be headed to AC Milan, but the transfer fee might be a sticking point.

I dont even get this. Chelsea clearly doesn't value him so they should be happy to get whaterver they can. 

#1894 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:31 PM

I dont even get this. Chelsea clearly doesn't value him so they should be happy to get whaterver they can. 

I read Pulisic would even be willing to give up some money to help facilitate the transfer, so clearly he doesn’t want to be there anymore either. I have to think it gets done, Chelsea just wants to squeeze every bit of money they can get out of it.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#1895 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 11:47 AM

Is he even that good? Or is he just the best American player (which isn't saying much), so we overrate him, even if we won't admit it?

Newly gaining an interest in the sport. From what I understand, he barely sees the field.

@BSLMikeRandall

#1896 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 12:05 PM

Is he even that good? Or is he just the best American player (which isn't saying much), so we overrate him, even if we won't admit it?

Newly gaining an interest in the sport. From what I understand, he barely sees the field.

I don't really know the answer, but he did get very little time on a Chelsea team that was not very good. He's also just 24, so not really in his prime yet either. Whatever the case, it makes all the sense for him to go somewhere he'll play.

#1897 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 02 July 2023 - 08:55 PM

6-0. Nice to see them exorcise the ghost of 2017. On to the knockout, where I imagine they will get Canada to start.

#1898 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,341 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 July 2023 - 09:09 AM

Did you watch the WC? Pulsiic was one of the best players on the field in all our our matches (including the other team). His biggest problem at Chelsea was, and it started with Tuchel, was they insisted on playing him out of position. His stats for when he actually played left wing were very good,. 

• Mike in STL likes this

#1899 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 July 2023 - 12:19 PM

Yeah he's pretty filthy, but at that level of play, everyone is crazy good, so he just kinda blends into the pack there where here he's the center of it all.

The fact that he can go over there and play for a club at that level is crazy.

• DuffMan, Mike in STL and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@JeremyMStrain

#1900 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 03 July 2023 - 01:14 PM

Did you watch the WC? Pulsiic was one of the best players on the field in all our our matches (including the other team). His biggest problem at Chelsea was, and it started with Tuchel, was they insisted on playing him out of position. His stats for when he actually played left wing were very good,. 

I did not. But that makes sense if the team isn't playing to your strengths, in any sport. 

I always forget the age factor as well, seems different in soccer. Feel like I've heard Pulisic's name for so long I could have sworn he was like 32. Watched the first half of the St.Kitts game and I think it was Reynolds they were talking about like he's some kind of journeyman. Broadcasters talked about the places he's been, the teams he made, the ones he didn't make, now he's back, then they pop up his bio and he's only 22. 

So my next question. Would Pulisic be better served playing in MLS? He would see playing time, in front of Americans (they need to not have in market games behind paywalls). Presumably would be one of the best players in the league and be paid as such. Seems like a win win all around. I kinda ask because CITY SC has this kid, Miguel Perez they signed at 15 to their academy, and this year he graduated High School on a Friday and scored his first MLS Goal on a Saturday. Born and raised in STL. He could be the Cal Ripken of this new franchise if he wanted, but every interview when they ask about the future he's all, "can't wait to play in Europe." Man, stay here. Over there he's probably just a guy, if that. 

@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=