#121 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

I can't believe the lack of pressure Jamaica is putting on the ball right now.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#122 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

Doesn't excuse the pitiful back line and goaltending on that free kick though...I may be alone, but I would rather see Guzan in net right now over Howard...

I dunno.  I'd say that goal falls entirely on the backline.

#123 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:28 PM

That's it.  US wins 2-1.

#124 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

You really like to say things for effect? I'm not even much of a soccer fan, but that's asinine statement.

Whatever. Listen, I'm all for the growth of soccer in this country. Most any sport. However,  we all know we're likely never going to be a true World Cup threat in our lifetime. I'm tired of turning on ESPN and having soccer shoved down my throat constantly. I mean seriously, why is ESPN showing all these EPL matches on their 2 biggest channels. You can't tell me that people really are dying to see EPL matches so much in this country to put it on ESPN and ESPN 2, the two biggest sports channels in this country.

#125 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:18 PM

Whatever. Listen, I'm all for the growth of soccer in this country. Most any sport. However,  we all know we're likely never going to be a true World Cup threat in our lifetime. I'm tired of turning on ESPN and having soccer shoved down my throat constantly. I mean seriously, why is ESPN showing all these EPL matches on their 2 biggest channels. You can't tell me that people really are dying to see EPL matches so much in this country to put it on ESPN and ESPN 2, the two biggest sports channels in this country.

I'm not sure how you can rationally write your second sentence and then follow it up with anything else you said.

- You obviously aren't "all for the growth of soccer in this country".

- You are having the sport "shoved down your throat" on channels you have to actively turn on and which have featured some form of the sport going back to its earliest days.

- It has to be ESPN--a network that famously and to a fault focuses on exactly and only what people tune into their channels to watch--with the problem here, not you.

You don't see how throwing all of that out there doesn't make sense?

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#126 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:06 AM

I'm not sure how you can rationally write your second sentence and then follow it up with anything else you said.

- You obviously aren't "all for the growth of soccer in this country".

- You are having the sport "shoved down your throat" on channels you have to actively turn on and which have featured some form of the sport going back to its earliest days.

- It has to be ESPN--a network that famously and to a fault focuses on exactly and only what people tune into their channels to watch--with the problem here, not you.

You don't see how throwing all of that out there doesn't make sense?

I have nothing against soccer.  People in this country will embrace it like the rest of the world when they are ready to embrace it that way. It's ok that America doesn't love the game like everyone else. Thats the problem. You got Bob Ley trying to make the sport something it isn't in this country right now.

How many times does the sport have to flame out in this country from being shoved down our throats already.

#127 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,511 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 June 2013 - 07:15 AM

The EPL is already pretty huge in the USA, IMO. I don't have any numbers on it or anything, but especially in cities and places of culture (like the Baltimore/Washington metro area), there are a TON of EPL fans (or international soccer fans in general) that are always out at the bars watching EPL matches on weekends. At my local B-Dubbs here in Gaithersburg, I was there a couple Saturday's ago, and rather than having the O's or Nats games over the bar audio and the main screens, they had the UEFA Champions league game on... and it was one of the craziest bar atmosphere's I've been in since the Ravens playoffs.

• Don Quixote likes this

#128 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have nothing against soccer.  People in this country will embrace it like the rest of the world when they are ready to embrace it that way. It's ok that America doesn't love the game like everyone else. Thats the problem. You got Bob Ley trying to make the sport something it isn't in this country right now.

How many times does the sport have to flame out in this country from being shoved down our throats already.

Just because Soccer will never be the NFL or MLB or even the NBA in this country*, does not mean it is flaming out. Laugh it all you want, but MLS is a successful league. Average attendance is very solid, strong corporate partners, on multiple networks, expansion fees continue to rise.

*BTW - Never is a long time. With population trends, most people believe the country will have a majority Hispanic population by 2050. Should that be the case, it's also reasonable to believe that interest in soccer will only continue to increase in the US.

The EPL (who recently signed a lucrative deal with NBC) is on because ratings and interest demand it. Not because they are forcing it.

Lastly since the Confederations Cup in the Year prior to the last World Cup, the US has beaten Spain, Italy, and Germany. They now have players performing well in Europe. Is the US a superpower in soccer? No, of course not... but they are better than you are giving them credit as being.

• Don Quixote likes this

#129 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Aren't most of the EPL games (aside from like a mid-week game at like 3 pm, EST) usually on a Saturday morning at 8 am? 

I'll take that over the 500th run of Sportscenter in a morning and the constant parade of talking heads on said program.

Don't really think EPL games on ESPN are preventing any other, more popular, games from being shown.

And, now isn't the EPL moving to NBC and their network of sports channels?

#130 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:35 PM

You keep using that phrase. I don't think it means what you think it means.

The NASL failed thirty years ago because very few Americans cared about the sport. But between the 1994 Cup and continual growth of the men's and women's national teams; MLS and its recent growth in teams, attendance and ratings; and the inroads of international soccer via Mexico, the Premier League and the other European leagues and tournaments soccer is growing and more people are beginning to care.

You aren't there yet. That's fine. I wasn't there for a long time, either. You don't have to be.

However, you can't expect to come in here saying things that are outright false and claiming your personal views as those of the population at large and not expect to be called on it.

• You Play to Win the Game, Don Quixote and Atomtastic like this
@DJ_McCann

#131 Atomtastic

Atomtastic
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:36 AM

The hex is setting up nicely for the USMNT.  Game in hand on Mexico at this point and they should win the next 2 (hosting Panama and Honduras).  Friday was a huge win. 

And as to the comment blaming the back line off a free kick goal is not really accurate.  It was a set piece.  I would have to look at it again, but I beleive the US was man-marking and whoever had Beckford is to blame there.  Or if whoever was marking him released him, there is a breakdown of communication, but that is not a back four issue.  One thing to keep in mind is that right now there is not a ton of talent at CB in the player pool.  I think Klinnsman is doing a decent job at mixing and matching to try to find a decent pairing there, but you have to keep in mind his is limited in options.  Cameron is not an out and out cb, Besler is limited in experience (although he has impressed me and is fairly highly regarded and spurned chances to play in Europe when he re-upped for KC), and Gonzalez to me seems error prone, which would be one thing if he was 20, but isn't he like 26.  I think the best bet there is that one of the u-22 guys steps up, or another Chandler (mixed nationality guy appears out of nowhere) gets in the CB mix.

#132 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Watching the Mexico/Costa Rica match before the US game; the announcers seem to be pretty pro-Mexico, the Mexican fans are pretty classless, and the Mexican players are pretty much cry-babies.

Oh and the sky is blue and water is wet.

#133 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

Watching the Mexico/Costa Rica match before the US game; the announcers seem to be pretty pro-Mexico, the Mexican fans are pretty classless, and the Mexican players are pretty much cry-babies.

Oh and the sky is blue and water is wet.

Yeah they took like five minutes because water bottles and everything were being thrown at the Costa Ricans during a corner kick.

USA-Panama coming up on ESPN in Seattle.

#134 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

Got a laugh at Chicarito coming in and begging Mark Geiger to give a card, presumably for delay-of-game, to the Costa Rican player not taking that corner after being hit in the head and dodging other foreign objects being tossed on the field.

US are on The Deuce until the Mexico/CR game is over.

#135 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

BTW returning to the old US Soccer logo is the right call (just the Stars and Stripes). I always thought our latest one was bad.

Is that only for this game or have they officially switched over?

#136 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:29 PM

This guy: Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371004122.691022.jpg   102.08K   10 downloads has been holding back soccer in the US for years. Glad to see him out of the picture.

#137 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:49 PM

Beautiful pass from Johnson to Altidore for the goal.

#138 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:22 PM

Cameron with a great pass to the other Johnson (Eddie) for the second.

#139 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:27 PM

Cameron's pass was outstanding actually. 40 yards to the chest of a streaking Johnson who ended up all alone. It took some serious vision to pick out that pass. Crowd chanting "We are going to Brazil!" and they are correct. Edit: actually it was on his boot. Even better.

#140 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,264 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

2-0 US in the 65th minute.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=