• Please log in to reply
2061 replies to this topic

#141 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,464 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Seattle loves their soccer. Always great crowds.

• Atomtastic likes this

#142 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 10:49 PM

This is the most exciting game I've seen the US play from an attacking viewpoint. They're usually boring, IMO. Hopefully they keep playing like this.

#143 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

BTW returning to the old US Soccer logo is the right call (just the Stars and Stripes). I always thought our latest one was bad.

Is that only for this game or have they officially switched over?

It may only be for this year, since it's the centennial of the now-USSF. It's a shame, as the logo they've been using, and they will likely go back to, is an extremely dated product of early '90s graphic design that needs to be thrown on the scrapheap. It's always looked like a logo for kids that should be on a cereal box or something, not representing the national governing body of a sport, or the national team. The shirts for this year are immaculate, except that I would make the numbers darker.

While I'm ranting, the U.S. used to call football football until the waning days of World War II, when for some reason it became known as soccer football, then eventually just soccer. I guess when the NFL got big enough there was no sense calling proper football by its proper name anymore. Ugh.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#144 Atomtastic

Atomtastic
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

This is the most exciting game I've seen the US play from an attacking viewpoint. They're usually boring, IMO. Hopefully they keep playing like this.

Agreed but I think Panama's over-pursuit at times lead to this.  Good game from the US and hopefully they bottle this and can have a repeat performance against Honduras.  Thoughts in no particular order:

• Crowd was fantastic.  Best I have seen for USAMNT.  They should seriously consider having all important USAMNT matches in Seattle
  • I really like Besler.  Quick and reads the game well.  He needs a brute that he can boss around for a partner.  I'm sorry, I just don't see it in Gonzalez.
  • Really like Cameron.  Just a good player to have in the squad and valuable in that you can move him around.
  • If Donovan and Holden come back into the squad, I think this will be the deepest USAMNT I can remember.  And the U-22 squad is promising having made the U-22 World Cup this Summer.
  • Altidore with service is a beast.
  • Brad Evan is not bad, but not really first choice.
  • Obviously Bradley is fantastic. 
  • Impressed with Eddie Johnson as well, but did not really track back and against better teams that could have been punished.

• Russ likes this

#145 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

It may only be for this year, since it's the centennial of the now-USSF. It's a shame, as the logo they've been using, and they will likely go back to, is an extremely dated product of early '90s graphic design that needs to be thrown on the scrapheap. It's always looked like a logo for kids that should be on a cereal box or something, not representing the national governing body of a sport, or the national team. The shirts for this year are immaculate, except that I would make the numbers darker.

While I'm ranting, the U.S. used to call football football until the waning days of World War II, when for some reason it became known as soccer football, then eventually just soccer. I guess when the NFL got big enough there was no sense calling proper football by its proper name anymore. Ugh.

Fully agree with this. The US logo with the soccer ball is awful. I hope they consider just keeping the logo that they used last night as the official logo for USMNT.

#146 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:22 AM

Agreed but I think Panama's over-pursuit at times lead to this. Good game from the US and hopefully they bottle this and can have a repeat performance against Honduras. Thoughts in no particular order: Crowd was fantastic. Best I have seen for USAMNT. They should seriously consider having all important USAMNT matches in Seattle I really like Besler. Quick and reads the game well. He needs a brute that he can boss around for a partner. I'm sorry, I just don't see it in Gonzalez. Really like Cameron. Just a good player to have in the squad and valuable in that you can move him around. If Donovan and Holden come back into the squad, I think this will be the deepest USAMNT I can remember. And the U-22 squad is promising having made the U-22 World Cup this Summer. Altidore with service is a beast. Brad Evan is not bad, but not really first choice. Obviously Bradley is fantastic. Impressed with Eddie Johnson as well, but did not really track back and against better teams that could have been punished.
Agree with you about Evans and Gonzalez. They shouldn't be first choice. A better team would have tore up the back 4 last night. Cameron was very impressive, as were both Johnsons.

#147 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

Soccer is actually a British term; a shortened form of "association", as in Association football, which is the official name of the sport. It made sense to start using that term to differentiate it from American (and Canadian) football becoming the dominant form of the sport in North America.

• Don Quixote likes this
@DJ_McCann

#148 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:20 AM

The EPL is already pretty huge in the USA, IMO. I don't have any numbers on it or anything, but especially in cities and places of culture (like the Baltimore/Washington metro area), there are a TON of EPL fans (or international soccer fans in general) that are always out at the bars watching EPL matches on weekends. At my local B-Dubbs here in Gaithersburg, I was there a couple Saturday's ago, and rather than having the O's or Nats games over the bar audio and the main screens, they had the UEFA Champions league game on... and it was one of the craziest bar atmosphere's I've been in since the Ravens playoffs.

Soccer even in America has a unique crowd. You don't see some of the chants or heckles in any other sports arena even in this country. I was impressed with that crowd in Seattle last night.

I was in Hungary during the Champions League Final a few weeks ago. Every establishment had it playing on outside TVs, even though I didn't have much of an interest it was cool to see.

I think soccer is a more of a "pub sport" per se than most American sports. I personally don't like going to bars to watch sports events, but I think there's something about soccer fans that makes a large gathering such a great experience. That video of the nationwide reaction to Landon Donovan's goal against Algeria was great.

@levineps

#149 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:29 AM

Seattle loves their soccer. Always great crowds.

Actually thought they'd get more people, but beats almost all the Mariners crowds this year.

@levineps

#150 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Actually thought they'd get more people, but beats almost all the Mariners crowds this year.

The announcers were saying the City of Seattle would only allow them to sell 42,000 tickets because there was also a Mariners-Astros game going on next door.

Fire safety code was the reasoning.

#151 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Agreed but I think Panama's over-pursuit at times lead to this.  Good game from the US and hopefully they bottle this and can have a repeat performance against Honduras.  Thoughts in no particular order:

• Crowd was fantastic.  Best I have seen for USAMNT.  They should seriously consider having all important USAMNT matches in Seattle
  • I really like Besler.  Quick and reads the game well.  He needs a brute that he can boss around for a partner.  I'm sorry, I just don't see it in Gonzalez.
  • Really like Cameron.  Just a good player to have in the squad and valuable in that you can move him around.
  • If Donovan and Holden come back into the squad, I think this will be the deepest USAMNT I can remember.  And the U-22 squad is promising having made the U-22 World Cup this Summer.
  • Altidore with service is a beast.
  • Brad Evan is not bad, but not really first choice.
  • Obviously Bradley is fantastic. 
  • Impressed with Eddie Johnson as well, but did not really track back and against better teams that could have been punished.

I like RFK to continue hosting important ones as well, while it lacks the amenties of the newer stadiums, I think this gives the US a homefield advantage.

@levineps

#152 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

The announcers were saying the City of Seattle would only allow them to sell 42,000 tickets because there was also a Mariners-Astros game going on next door.

Fire safety code was the reasoning.

Wasn't aware, didn't start watching until the NBA game was out-of-hand. I would've thought like in Baltimore, it wouldn't have been possible to have concurrent events. I'm sure Gerry Sandusky will be all over that in saying they could stage both the O's/Ravens game at the same time. He's taken some shots in recent weeks, asking why the O's/the Preakness could be held concurrently -- maybe because they don't share infrastructure.

@levineps

#153 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

This guy: attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk 21371004122.691022.jpg has been holding back soccer in the US for years. Glad to see him out of the picture.

Me a few years ago at a DC/LA game out here.

6774649083_78afd9a45b.jpg

• Russ and Don Quixote like this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#154 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:36 AM

Overall I think it was a pretty well-rounded game from the US.  Really like them playing up in Seattle (would love to see them take on Mexico up there on a cooler day) just as long as they can improve upon the turf.

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#155 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:06 PM

Wasn't aware, didn't start watching until the NBA game was out-of-hand. I would've thought like in Baltimore, it wouldn't have been possible to have concurrent events. I'm sure Gerry Sandusky will be all over that in saying they could stage both the O's/Ravens game at the same time. He's taken some shots in recent weeks, asking why the O's/the Preakness could be held concurrently -- maybe because they don't share infrastructure.

I like Sandusky, but if he really said that about those two events, on almost literally opposite sides of the city, then he just sounds like a twit.

The key thing about the Seattle deal is likely that they could only sell that many tickets. Tell the Ravens that if they want to sell only half of the seats at M&T they can play at the same time :lol:

@DJ_McCann

#156 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:11 PM

I like Sandusky, but if he really said that about those two events, on almost literally opposite sides of the city, then he just sounds like a twit.

The key thing about the Seattle deal is likely that they could only sell that many tickets. Tell the Ravens that if they want to sell only half of the seats at M&T they can play at the same time :lol:

He mentioned on it Twitter, I think he just wanted to take a shot at the O's there.

I'm not sure what the parking situation is re: M&T/OPACY versus the Seattle complex. Both the football/baseball stadiums have slightly less seats. As someone mentioned here, that the power supply prevents them from holding concurrent events.

@levineps

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,464 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

Sports on Earth: Jozy on the spot
http://www.sportsone...rticle/50427394

• Atomtastic likes this

#158 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

I would say NSFW.

Almost as good as the Ravens Bullshit chant on SNF.

• BSLChrisStoner and Don Quixote like this

#159 KSA

KSA
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:13 PM

Should be a good performance tonight with Klinnsman's men feeling confident.  Their performance against Panama was one of the best I've seen from them in years.  Everything seems to be coming together for the USMNT.

@KSAgency

#160 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:37 PM

Altidore strikes, and the US take the lead in the 73rd minute vs. Honduras. Great game.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=