352 replies to this topic

#281 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:33 PM

I saw some speculation online that the Os could move Mateo to CF and they could call up Westburg. Dont think it would be Westburg. I think it would be Ortiz to play SS. They only have 39 on the 40 man right now if my math is correct. Thats why I think it will be Cameron that they add and call up but we shall see. He provides good defense at all 3 OF spots.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#282 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:07 PM

Cowser is mandatory as soon as he's ready. Ready, not healthy, so let him play a few AAA games to shake the rust off, but he shouldn't need weeks of a rehab equivalent.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#283 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:30 PM

Im not even sure Cowser is back yet. If he is tomorrow would be his first day. Maybe Bob knows

#284 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:08 PM

Bob said he's close. I'd give him a week. If he's back on track after 2 series I'd give him the call.

#285 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 May 2023 - 09:50 PM

Elias said he was days not weeks away earlier this week. So I would guess he is back at least at some point this week. Never heard anything hinting that it was a serious injury.

Hudson Haskin will be back with Norfolk this week after playing in Aberdeen this past week.

Stowers hurt too, don’t know his prognosis.
  • makoman likes this

#286 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 05:56 AM

Bob said he's close. I'd give him a week. If he's back on track after 2 series I'd give him the call.

Well a week in the minors would be 1 6-game series.  But agreed that that seems sufficient.

But, the Orioles are very slow to call guys up to MLB.

• BobPhelan likes this

#287 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:01 AM

Whatever they do they need to inject some spark into the offense. Losing Mullins is a serious blow.

• Mike B likes this

#288 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:01 AM

This is the first real stress point of the season.  The Orioles are not hitting, and now they lose the catalyst of the lineup.  I would be surprised if it is not Cameron for the short term then they will call up Cowser when he has gotten 10-15 AB's after he returns.

@mikeghg

#289 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:04 AM

Here's what the Sun said about potential replacements:

Regardless, they would need a position player in Mullins’ place, likely one capable of playing center or at least the outfield, and the club has an opening on its 40-man roster that allows for a variety of options. Outfield prospects Colton Cowser (left quadriceps) and Kyle Stowers (right shoulder) are on Norfolk’s IL, making Daz Cameron perhaps the most logical fit if Baltimore seeks a center fielder; he would need to be added to the 40-man roster. The Orioles could also choose to bring back infield prospect Joey Ortiz and use a combination of McKenna, Vavra, Ryan O’Hearn, Adam Frazier and possibly Jorge Mateo to fill Mullins’ space in the outfield. Deploying Frazier or Mateo, regulars on Baltimore’s infield, in the outfield could create playing opportunities for Ortiz or Jordan Westburg, an infielder who is the Orioles’ No. 4 prospect but is not yet on the 40-man roster.

Orioles’ Cedric Mullins exits game vs. Guardians with right groin strain (baltimoresun.com)

#290 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:22 AM

I'd be in the trainer's room with a contract offer if I were Elias.  Float the idea of long-term security while Ced's facing an IL trip.  Perhaops the last opportunity to buy somewhat low since they didn't pursue it (I'm assuming...) after last season.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#291 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

I'd be in the trainer's room with a contract offer if I were Elias.  Float the idea of long-term security while Ced's facing an IL trip.  Perhaops the last opportunity to buy somewhat low since they didn't pursue it (I'm assuming...) after last season.

This is the Orioles.  They put off spending money for every possible second.

• Mike in STL likes this
@mikeghg

#292 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:41 AM

I don't like the idea of playing Mateo in CF.  It feels like that would weaken 2 spots defensively.  

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@mikeghg

#293 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:59 AM

I'd be in the trainer's room with a contract offer if I were Elias. Float the idea of long-term security while Ced's facing an IL trip. Perhaops the last opportunity to buy somewhat low since they didn't pursue it (I'm assuming...) after last season.

That seems inappropriate. Like I know youre literally not saying to walk into the training room and do it. I thimk its a bad look to do that when someone just got hurt though

#294 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:02 AM

I don't like the idea of playing Mateo in CF. It feels like that would weaken 2 spots defensively.

Not at SS. Ortiz is a G. Not sure how Mateo would play in CF. I know there were reports around ST that he is capable though.

And obviously no two players are alike but I did find it interesting that Tatis was one of the higher ranked RFs in defensive metrics so far. A guy with imited OF experience who has seemingly transitioned well

#295 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:09 AM

I don't doubt Mateo could do it adequately, he's played CF in the past (321 innings in pro career including 74 in MLB). I don't see the point though. I am assuming he would just be an adequate CF, not a gold glover or anything, due to lack of much experience. His bat plays only because he is a GG caliber SS--if he's only adequate in the field his bat shouldn't be in the lineup. McKenna probably has a similar bat and is actually a CF, so that would be a better option IMO. But I'd rather get Cowser/Haskin up if healthy.

• Mike B likes this

#296 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:27 AM

It could work. You would need to see how Mateo tracks. The arm obviously better than Ceds's. I wouldnt bet against him being a very good CFer. That said, yes, I think McKenna is also a pretty solid defensive CF. So there would be no real reason to move Jorge. I have no problem in general with more D up the middle though. For example, if Stowers were healthy Id def be in favor of McKenna in CF and Stowers as the 4th guy vs trying to move Hays to CF or play Stowers in CF. I need D up the middle

#297 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:31 AM

I wonder when official announcements are usually made. I fully expect it to be Cameron but there are other options

#298 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:57 AM

Cameron is the obvious choice, but if it were me, I would have either Cowser or Haskins on the first plane as soon as they are healthy.

@mikeghg

#299 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:12 AM

I just looked at Cameron's stats at Norfolk and they are decent.

Cameron is a RH hitter so maybe he is a duplicate of McKenna, but he is supposedly good defensively.

Right now, he is hitting .267,  7 HR, with a .358 OBP and a .840 OPS.  he also has 10 steals in 135 AB's.

He probably is a 4 AAA player but maybe he can get hot and hold the fort until Cowser or Haskins get the call.

@mikeghg

#300 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:14 AM

I'd rather play McKenna than Cameron, but I'm fine with Cameron being added for depth behind McKenna until Cowser is ready in a week or whatever.

• Mike B and makoman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=