• Please log in to reply
1218 replies to this topic

#1061 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 05 May 2022 - 02:19 PM

ESPN: Baker Mayfield still in limbo with Cleveland Browns: How did he get here, and what's next?

https://www.espn.com...d-get-here-next

#1062 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 21 May 2022 - 04:52 PM

CBS Sports: Baker Mayfield trade rumors: Panthers, Seahawks still open to acquiring Browns QB, per report

https://www.cbssport...-qb-per-report/

#1063 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 22 May 2022 - 10:44 PM

I think the Browns have once again handled this with the bottom rate efficiency that their organization is known for.  They made Baker Mayfield the #1 overall pick in the draft, and 4 years later he's in the dollar sale bin!  What a great return on investment that's turning into.  

I believe both Seattle and Carolina are interested.  Seattle more though.  They didn't draft a QB.  They're staring at starting the season with Drew Lock.  Even still, they realize the Browns have put themselves in a tough position.  They aren't sure about Watson's status.  They've poisoned the relationship with Mayfield to the point that they can't even be sure he's going to show up in camp.  And his value on the market is going to be nowhere near what a former overall #1 pick should be. 

I think when it's all over the Browns will accept pennies on the dollar for a QB that is at least one of the best 32 QB's in the NFL.  

#1064 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 05:40 AM

Depends if they blink or not. If the right QB gets injured elsewhere in August they might still get a decent return.

#1065 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 May 2022 - 06:12 AM

I think the Browns have once again handled this with the bottom rate efficiency that their organization is known for.  They made Baker Mayfield the #1 overall pick in the draft, and 4 years later he's in the dollar sale bin!  What a great return on investment that's turning into.  

I believe both Seattle and Carolina are interested.  Seattle more though.  They didn't draft a QB.  They're staring at starting the season with Drew Lock.  Even still, they realize the Browns have put themselves in a tough position.  They aren't sure about Watson's status.  They've poisoned the relationship with Mayfield to the point that they can't even be sure he's going to show up in camp.  And his value on the market is going to be nowhere near what a former overall #1 pick should be. 

I think when it's all over the Browns will accept pennies on the dollar for a QB that is at least one of the best 32 QB's in the NFL.  

What's bizarre is how quickly they soured on him considering their history with QBs.  The prior season the Browns actually won a playoff game and gave KC a serious fight on the road.  And injury plagued season later, they completely moved on and made a horrible trade/contract for Watson.  I guess that's why they're the Browns.

#1066 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 27 May 2022 - 07:48 AM

Football Outsiders: Predicting Baker Mayfield's Future

https://www.football...ayfields-future

#1067 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 10:16 AM

#1068 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 31 May 2022 - 05:10 AM

Another desperate overpay.

#1069 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,526 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:38 AM

Unless Watson is all screwed up after the long break, the offense is going to be pretty ridic. 

Defense will give up points. They'll be in cap hell soon.

#1070 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 07:56 AM

NY Times: How the Texans and a Spa Enabled Deshaun Watson’s Troubling Behavior

https://www.nytimes....aun-watson.html

#1071 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:25 AM

IMO, this guy should not be allowed to play this year.  He is a bad guy.

The NFL has to be trying to figure out a way to get past this.

@mikeghg

#1072 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 09:43 AM

IMO, this guy should not be allowed to play this year.  He is a bad guy.

The NFL has to be trying to figure out a way to get past this.

It's really hard for me to imagine him taking the field. 

#1073 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 12:04 PM

I'd rather they do a thorough investigation and then suspend him next year instead of this year. That way he loses 46M instead of 1M. 

Unless something's changed the Browns get anything lost to suspension as cap relief.

Suspensions also sometimes void guaranteed money or allow recovery of bonus money, though I doubt Watson would have agreed to that.

#1074 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 June 2022 - 02:09 PM

I'd rather they do a thorough investigation and then suspend him next year instead of this year. That way he loses 46M instead of 1M. 

Unless something's changed the Browns get anything lost to suspension as cap relief.

Suspensions also sometimes void guaranteed money or allow recovery of bonus money, though I doubt Watson would have agreed to that.

If the NFL can't complete an investigation in time to suspend him by the season, then they really need to place him on administrative leave until they do resolve it. You just can't let him take the field right now.

And no matter how much money Cleveland is able to void/recover, those draft picks are never coming back. That's the best part.  :lol:

#1075 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 June 2022 - 02:27 PM

If the NFL can't complete an investigation in time to suspend him by the season, then they really need to place him on administrative leave until they do resolve it. You just can't let him take the field right now.

And no matter how much money Cleveland is able to void/recover, those draft picks are never coming back. That's the best part.  :lol:

Even without any suspensions, it was already probably the worst trade/extension in history.  But the Browns gotta Brown and step it up.

• bmore_ken likes this

#1076 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 11:46 AM

Watson settled 20 of 24 cases.

https://www.usatoday...ges/7688001001/

#1077 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 12:31 PM

Watson settled 20 of 24 cases.

https://www.usatoday...ges/7688001001/

Well he does have the money now.  :mrgreen:

#1078 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 01:29 PM

Well he does have the money now.  :mrgreen:

Supposedly he was offering $100k at first, but I feel like things have only gotten worse since then so it was probably higher now. Not that we'll ever find out.

#1079 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,660 posts

Posted 21 June 2022 - 01:31 PM

I still think he is suspended for a year regardless of the settlements.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1080 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 22 June 2022 - 06:36 AM

Supposedly he was offering $100k at first, but I feel like things have only gotten worse since then so it was probably higher now. Not that we'll ever find out.

Last year when he could have settled 20 the women wanted him to agree to a confidential settlement. His lawyer said no. Now they have agreed that both sides will keep it confidential.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=