• Please log in to reply
1218 replies to this topic

#1101 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 08:20 AM

ESPN: Deshaun Watson of Cleveland Browns suspended six games: Takeaways from 16-page ruling, and why the NFL didn't get its way

https://www.espn.com...why-nfl-get-way

#1102 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 04:48 AM

https://www.espn.com...game-suspension

Here we go...
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1103 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 05:19 AM

https://www.espn.com...game-suspension

Here we go...

It one thing if you are accused of sexually assaulting one woman and get a 6 game suspension, which the rules call for. but this is 24 women who are accusing him of some form of sexual assualt. 6 games is not enough.

• Mike in STL likes this

#1104 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 05:57 AM

It one thing if you are accused of sexually assaulting one woman and get a 6 game suspension, which the rules call for. but this is 24 women who are accusing him of some form of sexual assualt. 6 games is not enough.

Exactly. That’s how courts would do it for crimes. If you kill 5 people you get a sentence for each one.
@BSLMikeRandall

#1105 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:32 AM

This is grandstanding by the NFL IMO.

The NFLPA is going to get involved. ( As well they should.) Last time I checked, Watson was never formally charged with any crimes. The Grand Jury in Houston never indicted him. Further, I believe that he settled all of the civil cases against him prior to the hearing. While I am not defending Watson or his actions, these are the facts and my only issue with the judgement was that he is not required to get any treatment for his issues. I mean, if you are going to punish the guy, let's try to get him help as well.

#1106 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:37 AM

The NFLPA is going to get involved. ( As well they should.) Last time I checked, Watson was never formally charged with any crimes. The Grand Jury in Houston never indicted him. Further, I believe that he settled all of the civil cases against him prior to the hearing. While I am not defending Watson or his actions, these are the facts and my only issue with the judgement was that he is not required to get any treatment for his issues. I mean, if you are going to punish the guy, let's try to get him help as well.

He doesn't have to be charged with a crime to face NFL punishment.  Settling any or all of the cases wouldn't excuse him from NFL punishment.  And there is still one active case against him.

• makoman likes this

#1107 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:45 AM

Watson and the NFLPA can sue all they want, but courts don't like to get involved with collectively bargained processes. The NFLPA shouldn't have given the NFL the right to appeal to Goodell. 

#1108 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 08:59 AM

He doesn't have to be charged with a crime to face NFL punishment. Settling any or all of the cases wouldn't excuse him from NFL punishment. And there is still one active case against him.

I understand.

Last time I checked, he was suspended for six games. NFLPA is a union with no teeth.

He'll wind up with 8 games.

#1109 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 09:00 AM

Watson and the NFLPA can sue all they want, but courts don't like to get involved with collectively bargained processes. The NFLPA shouldn't have given the NFL the right to appeal to Goodell.

If the NFLPA was a real union the NFL wouldn't be appealing the six game suspension.

#1110 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:24 AM

Well he was restricted to only getting massages from Cleveland personnel, if you want to call that punishment..

#1111 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:25 AM

The grand jury found there wasn't enough evidence for a prosecution. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything. 

#1112 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:26 AM

Exactly. That’s how courts would do it for crimes. If you kill 5 people you get a sentence for each one.

He hasn't been convicted of anything. 

#1113 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:27 AM

If the NFLPA was a real union the NFL wouldn't be appealing the six game suspension.

MLB has a real union but still allowed a player to get banned for 2 yrs. What does the unuion tell a woman's group that asks them why are you appealing this.

#1114 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:28 AM

The grand jury found there wasn't enough evidence for a prosecution. Anyone can accuse anyone of anything. 

Could it have been because the DA & Watson's lawyer were working together .?

#1115 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 10:57 AM

MLB has a real union but still allowed a player to get banned for 2 yrs. What does the unuion tell a woman's group that asks them why are you appealing this.

They don't have to tell them anything. However, everyone should realize that the function of the union is to work in behalf of their membership. The women's group can protest and burn their form fitting NFL jersies in protest if they'd like. As far as Bauer goes, the union did not "allow" the suspension. He was suspended by MLB. His appeal panel will have an arbitrator selected by the union as well.

#1116 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:27 AM

Could it have been because the DA & Watson's lawyer were working together .?

Any proof of this, or is this purely speculation? Pretty heavy accusation BTW.

#1117 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 11:30 AM

He hasn't been convicted of anything.

That doesn't keep people from calling Watson a rapist. Of course, a lot of people still call Ray Lewis a murderer. It's ok in some circles if the accusation is being levied in a manner of righteous indignation.

#1118 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 02:12 PM

Does he end up with a whole year??

#1119 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 02:52 PM

Does he end up with a whole year??

It's seems that the NFL wants an indefinite suspension with a year minimum.The only good news is that this is a big headache and distraction for the Browns. He's only slated to make 1 million this year on his back loaded mega deal. So I think the Browns and Watson knew that the league would push for at least a year. I'm sticking with 8 games and perhaps a hefty fine after the NFL appeals.

#1120 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 04 August 2022 - 02:58 PM

He's only slated to make 1 million this year on his back loaded mega deal. So I think the Browns and Watson knew that the league would push for at least a year

Which is pretty crazy because it means the Browns knew and expected that Watson's contract would really be $230M for 4 years instead of 5.  They even put language in the contract stating that Watson wouldn't lose any of his $45M bonus if he gets suspended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=