¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#62 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Good trade for Cleveland. They'll likely have 2 top 20 picks next year and the Colts should know that plugging in a RB doesn't make much of a difference. They've been searching for a good RB since James.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#63 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:43 AM

Great move by Lombardi.  You are nothing without a franchise QB and Richardson isn't going to help you get there.

Exactly. Great trade by the Browns. I mean you should never pick a RB in the Top 5 of a draft anyway and they did move up to get him just 2 years ago but that's not on Lombardi.

Not only that but I'm not sure Richardson is even that good. Im positive you just got the max value for a player playing an overvalued and overrated position.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:45 AM

Colts should know that plugging in a RB doesn't make much of a difference. They've been searching for a good RB since James.

These two statements seem contradictory.  Or are you saying that the Colts should know that plugging in off-the-street RBs doesn't help and they needed to get a good one like Richardson?

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

Exactly. Great trade by the Browns. I mean you should never pick a RB in the Top 5 of a draft anyway and they did move up to get him just 2 years ago but that's not on Lombardi.

Not only that but I'm not sure Richardson is even that good. Im positive you just got the max value for a player playing an overvalued and overrated position.

Yeah.  It's hard to disengage the thinking of that they just traded up to get him very high a little over a year ago, but if you can, then it makes sense for them.  I still think that just a late teens draft pick seems like a bit lower than I would have expected for him, but if he didn't have a good year this season in Cleveland (and with the team around him, how could he?) his value likely would've dropped to even lower than that.

This is a good move for Cleveland on it's own merits.  But when you factor in the events that lead to them needing to make this deal, moving up to get him and then wasting the other 1st rounder on an AARP-QB, the whole package seems like less of a good deal.  Of course, the current regime lead by Lombardi wasn't responsible for the first part of that story which is the part that makes it look really ugly.

They could've drafted Kalil and DeCastro instead of Richardson and Weeden and set their line up for a decade, and still had their 4th and 5th round picks that they traded to move up to get some depth.  Or taken Kalil and Doug Martin. 

#66 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

These two statements seem contradictory.  Or are you saying that the Colts should know that plugging in off-the-street RBs doesn't help and they needed to get a good one like Richardson?

Just saying that RB's are probably the most interchangeable position in football. To spend a 1st round pick on one doesnt make much sense to me. Granted, the Browns did that in the first place -- even traded  up to get him. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#67 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

The trade makes sense for both sides.

Indy probably feels it won't get a better player where they draft and Cle knows a good RB is only worth so much.

The AFC is weak and while I am not buying the Colts, if they can get into the playoffs, anything can happen and TRich does make them a better team, without question.

The Browns will draft a QB with their first pick and then probably land a WR with the second pick and get a RB later in the draft.

They have a very good Oline, a solid defense and a very good up and coming TE...Plus, Josh Gordon is a solid, stretch the field guy although he is a strike away from being suspended for the season.

#68 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

They also skipped over Weber's boy Jason Campbell to start Brian Hoyer this week.

#69 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:59 AM

The trade makes sense for both sides.

I disagree, but only because the Browns could have gotten so much more.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:04 AM

I disagree, but only because the Browns could have gotten so much more.

I agree it feels like they should have been able to, but I don't think that's likely the case.  Especially if they wait until after the year, since it's unlikely he could've had a highly productive year in Cleveland given their offensive limitations.

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:05 AM

Indy probably feels it won't get a better player where they draft and Cle knows a good RB is only worth so much.

Agreed.  Also, they're getting basically 3 full years out of Richardson.  They'd get 4 years out of that draft pick.  So they are really only sacrificing one extra year of club control of a guy in the late teens, who may or may not be as good as Richardson.

#72 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

I agree it feels like they should have been able to, but I don't think that's likely the case.  Especially if they wait until after the year, since it's unlikely he could've had a highly productive year in Cleveland given their offensive limitations.

A lot of it probably depends on how much faith some of these teams have in their young RBs.   For example, do the Packers feel set with Lacy, or would their eyes turn into little Lombardi trophies at the thought of getting Richardson for, say, a first and second round pick?

How about the Steelers?  Do they feel like they'll be set when Bell comes back?  Would they trade a first rounder + Bell for Richardson?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#73 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

A lot of it probably depends on how much faith some of these teams have in their young RBs.   For example, do the Packers feel set with Lacy, or would their eyes turn into little Lombardi trophies at the thought of getting Richardson for, say, a first and second round pick?

How about the Steelers?  Do they feel like they'll be set when Bell comes back?  Would they trade a first rounder + Bell for Richardson?

Neither of those teams would have considered moving even just their 1st rounder for Richardson.  They very recently spent high picks on RBs of their own and neither is in the habit of trading away high draft picks.

#74 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Neither of those teams would have considered moving even just their 1st rounder for Richardson.  They very recently spent high picks on RBs of their own and neither is in the habit of trading away high draft picks.

True, but both of these teams are essentially waiting and hoping to cash in a lottery ticket at RB.   I have to think they'd think hard about shoring up their running game with an elite talent, and doing it today.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#75 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:17 AM

Completely disagree that Cle could have got more for Richardson

#76 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:21 AM

I haven't considered cap space.  Would that keep most teams out?

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yea, I disagree they could have gotten more.

If anything, you can argue that Indy overpaid.

• BSLMattJergensen likes this

#78 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

Being a Brown fan actually might be a fate worse than death.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#79 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:31 AM

Trent Richardson learns about trade via the radio

Yeah, I found out on the radio,” Richardson said during an interview with 19 Action News in Cleveland. “Actually, one of my friends called me. He was like, ‘You got traded?’ I was like, ‘Man, shut up talking to me. Get off my phone.’ I turned on the radio, and all of a sudden I heard, ‘Cleveland Browns running back has been traded to the Colts.’

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.  I mean, being both an Oriole and Redskins fan I know all about horribly mismanaged sports teams but the Browns seem to be on a whole different level.

Also, how much of a jackass is Jim Irsay?  Seriously, this dude has enough time to work out a trade and also go on the twitter and tease the twittersphere with this nonsense but can't, or forgot to, find the time to actually call the guy he traded for before hand and say "Hey Trent, Jim Irsay here.  We traded for ya and look forward to you being a Colt."

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#80 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,462 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 01:24 PM

Being a Brown fan actually might be a fate worse than death.

I agree. But sticking with Weeden isnt going to get you anywhere.

So now they'll see what theyve got in Hoyer and go from there.

They'll have to fight JAX for Bridgewater/Manziel though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=