Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Its about time

Call me crazy, but I don't think he's been all that bad atleast like some people make him out to be -- sure he has his dark spots like any other Commish. And I sure don't like how he came into office or the fact he continued owning the team while acting commish and his family still owning when he got the permanent title. I don't like the fact, he's hardly independent either. But the game has grown under him -- interleague play, realignment/expanded playoffs, instant replay have all been positives. The biggest thing to me is the lack of a work stoppage in the last nearly two decades.

@levineps

#22 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

Its about time

Call me crazy, but I don't think he's been all that bad atleast like some people make him out to be -- sure he has his dark spots like any other Commish. And I sure don't like how he came into office or the fact he continued owning the team while acting commish and his family still owning when he got the permanent title. I don't like the fact, he's hardly independent either. But the game has grown under him -- interleague play, realignment/expanded playoffs, instant replay have all been positives. The biggest thing to me is the lack of a work stoppage in the last nearly two decades.

He has avioded the dreaded lockout. Ill give him that. Just my opinion, it took entirely too long to get realignment right as far as moving Houston to the AL and evening out the divisions. Its taken way too long to get replay going. I'm not a fan of expanded playoffs, but again, just my opinion.

You have to admit. The ASG deciding WS home field is the stupidest rule in probably all sports. Everyone knows it. Yet he'll never change it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

He has avioded the dreaded lockout. Ill give him that. Just my opinion, it took entirely too long to get realignment right as far as moving Houston to the AL and evening out the divisions. Its taken way too long to get replay going. I'm not a fan of expanded playoffs, but again, just my opinion.

You have to admit. The ASG deciding WS home field is the stupidest rule in probably all sports. Everyone knows it. Yet he'll never change it.

Yeah I agree with that realignment and that only really got done because Houston was being sold at the time. I'm talking about more divisions, more playoff positions especially the 2nd WC spot (something I'm against) since that gets more teams involved. Fair point it's taken too long on replay, but it got done. Just saying the game overall is very strong -- look at the broadcast contracts/stadium deals. They sure could do a lot worse than Selig IMO.

@levineps

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

Mike,

Just wondering any candidates you'd like to see and if not, what kind of qualities do you want in the next Commish?

@levineps

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

ESPN: Bud's impact distinctly positive

http://espn.go.com/m...iven-credit-mlb

ESPN: Who will succeed commissioner Bud Selig?

http://espn.go.com/m...ioner-bud-selig

ESPN: Five important issues for next commish

http://espn.go.com/b...or-next-commish

@levineps

#26 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

Mike,

Just wondering any candidates you'd like to see and if not, what kind of qualities do you want in the next Commish?

Selig has done a great job of increasing revenue. TV deals like you mentioned among other things.The A-Rod thing was the final straw for me pertaining to Selig. Sidestepping the CBA when you see dollar signs is just wrong. 

I think I'd like to see Joe Torre. He's been working in the commissioners office. I feel like Torre would be more in touch with the players and mangers having been one himself. By that I mean being more in touch with the game. He could surround himself with non-baseball people, like Selig, to keep doing things to keep owners happy. I feel like a former player would be more proactive. Would have more baseball common sense. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#27 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Selig has done a great job of increasing revenue. TV deals like you mentioned among other things.The A-Rod thing was the final straw for me pertaining to Selig. Sidestepping the CBA when you see dollar signs is just wrong. 

I think I'd like to see Joe Torre. He's been working in the commissioners office. I feel like Torre would be more in touch with the players and mangers having been one himself. By that I mean being more in touch with the game. He could surround himself with non-baseball people, like Selig, to keep doing things to keep owners happy. I feel like a former player would be more proactive. Would have more baseball common sense. 

I think Torre could handle the baseball aspects, but the business aspect might be too much for him -- as one of the articles said him/LaRussa aren't CEO types. I think it's almost the other way around from what you're saying -- it be easier to get a business person and surround them with baseball people.

@levineps

#28 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

I think Torre could handle the baseball aspects, but the business aspect might be too much for him -- as one of the articles said him/LaRussa aren't CEO types. I think it's almost the other way around from what you're saying -- it be easier to get a business person and surround them with baseball people.

Before Selig's coup, the only two commissioners who truly came from "inside" baseball were Frick and Kuhn. Technically Giamotti was NL president first, but he came from an academic background.

That makes the inclusion of Rick Levin interesting, as long as he has a good cardiologist.

I don't think any "baggage" Bush has from his presidential days will matter. This is Commissioner of Major League Baseball, not Secretary-General of the United Nations. He at least has both a political and an ownership background.

The most interesting name on that list, I think, is Ebersol. With the sport becoming more and more centered around television I can see the owners looking for someone who knows the business from the executive side.

@DJ_McCann

#29 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Before Selig's coup, the only two commissioners who truly came from "inside" baseball were Frick and Kuhn. Technically Giamotti was NL president first, but he came from an academic background.

That makes the inclusion of Rick Levin interesting, as long as he has a good cardiologist.

I don't think any "baggage" Bush has from his presidential days will matter. This is Commissioner of Major League Baseball, not Secretary-General of the United Nations. He at least has both a political and an ownership background.

The most interesting name on that list, I think, is Ebersol. With the sport becoming more and more centered around television I can see the owners looking for someone who knows the business from the executive side.

At this point, I doubt Bush would want to be Commish in the first place. But I don't think he could effectively serve given his previous role. I actually think he'd do great in the job.

@levineps

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

ESPN: Rob Manfred promoted to COO

http://espn.go.com/m...b-coo-bud-selig

Looks like he'll be the next commish.

@levineps

#31 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

ESPN: Rob Manfred promoted to COO

http://espn.go.com/m...b-coo-bud-selig

Looks like he'll be the next commish.

So he's going to be Bowie Kuhn. Hold on to your butts...

@DJ_McCann

#32 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Neyer: Bud Selig, Miracle Worker

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@DJ_McCann

#33 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:27 PM

The Selig retirement tour? (ESPN)

Any ideas for a gift from the O's (or another team)?

Though many people in his sport are still skeptical, baseball commissioner Bud Selig told ESPN.com he is "100 percent" committed to retiring in a year and that he hopes to visit all 30 parks in his final season.

In fact, Selig said, he would like to spend his last year as commissioner on a Mariano Rivera-type tour of all 30 major league parks, speaking not with baseball dignitaries but with fans and people who work in his sport behind the scenes.

@levineps

#34 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Give him a hot dog

#35 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Give him a hot dog

Not one of the good Esskay ones.

• Russ likes this
@DJ_McCann

#36 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

top10_selig_display_image.jpg?1289390042

Some team can do a painting of this.

@levineps

#37 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:31 PM

top10_selig_display_image.jpg?1289390042

Some team can do a painting of this.

How about him sitting on a throne atop a pile of corpses, each wearing the jersey of a player suspended for or admitted to PED use? You know, his legacy.

@DJ_McCann

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,384 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

ESPN: Selig's final year as MLB Commissioner

http://espn.go.com/m...lb-commissioner

#39 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

CBS SportsMLB forms succession committee to name next commissioner

The seven-person committee of owners/CEOs/chairman is as follows: Bill DeWitt (Cardinals), Dick Monfort (Rockies), David Montgomery (Phillies), Arte Moreno (Angels), Bob Nuttig (Pirates), Jim Pohlad (Twins) and Jerry Reinsdorf (White Sox).

DeWitt is serving as the chairman of the committee.

@levineps

#40 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

President Bush is my choice, he'd be great. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=