mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,388 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:11 PM

http://sportsillustr... ... itter_feed

Is this good, bad, or indifferent to you?

What do you think his legacy will be?

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

He has done some good things but also plenty I hate.

Maybe with a new commissioner we get back to the balanced schedule, rotate Home field for the WS etc.

He has the David Stern stubbornness. That is not a good thing.
@mikeghg

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,100 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:39 PM

Plenty of good in his tenure, but he'll go down as the guy who allowed the steroid era to occur, not the guy who cleaned it up, IMO.

I'll be looking forward to a sensible instant replay system in 2015!

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Note: This story is not a repeat from...well, every time his contract has come up since 1998.

In all honesty though, as much as I would love to see him leave, if I had that job they would have to carry me out of that office with a sheet draped over my body.

#5 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

Can someone secretly replace his current calendar with a 2014 calendar?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

How many times has he said he would retire?

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...t=.jsp&c_id=mlb - 2012

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=2681764 - 2009

http://articles.balt...nt-commissioner - 1992, saying he wouldn't take the job on a permanent basis (yeah that was a while ago).
@levineps

#7 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Yeah, I was almost positive he said 2012 would be his last year.

#8 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

I do think Selig will actually retire this time since he's not getting younger, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he stays on until he can't do the job anymore. If Selig doesn't retire this time, they'll need to groom someone. Torre is the closest thing to a #2, less so than DuPoy and Beeston were, and Torre himself is in his 70s.
@levineps

#9 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

I do think Selig will actually retire this time since he's not getting younger, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he stays on until he can't do the job anymore. If Selig doesn't retire this time, they'll need to groom someone. Torre is the closest thing to a #2, less so than DuPoy and Beeston were, and Torre himself is in his 70s.

Can't they just hire a senator or judge or retired general like they used to do?

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Can't they just hire a senator or judge or retired general like they used to do?

Any suggestions?, my guess is they'll continue the Selig-model -- an owner-friendly exec. Landis would be rolling over in his grave right now if he saw what that office has become.
@levineps

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Any suggestions?, my guess is they'll continue the Selig-model -- an owner-friendly exec. Landis would be rolling over in his grave right now if he saw what that office has become.

Colin Powell? :P

I remember back when his term was up people were talking up George W. Bush for the job, due to his association with the Rangers. That could be fun...

I think you're right, though. The interesting thing is that there isn't really an heir apparent. David Stern has been grooming Adam Silver to take over eventually seemingly forever.

Here is the list of top executives in the commissioner's office.

I could see a Goodell situation, where the league chooses someone from within the league structure to move up. Someone like Rob Manfried, who is involved with labor relations (like Goodell was). Goodell was a league lifer, though.

In the end, unless they try to go the "interim" route again and select an owner (which I cannot see under any circumstances) my guess is someone like Andy MacPhail, who has experience working in the league office along with running teams in four different decades, and has the legendary name.

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Colin Powell? :P

I remember back when his term was up people were talking up George W. Bush for the job, due to his association with the Rangers. That could be fun...

I think you're right, though. The interesting thing is that there isn't really an heir apparent. David Stern has been grooming Adam Silver to take over eventually seemingly forever.

Here is the list of top executives in the commissioner's office.

I could see a Goodell situation, where the league chooses someone from within the league structure to move up. Someone like Rob Manfried, who is involved with labor relations (like Goodell was). Goodell was a league lifer, though.

In the end, unless they try to go the "interim" route again and select an owner (which I cannot see under any circumstances) my guess is someone like Andy MacPhail, who has experience working in the league office along with running teams in four different decades, and has the legendary name.

In Nats circles, the thought was Stan Kasten was angling for it. I'd say with him getting the Dodgers President gig, it's not so likely though if Selig does indeed step down in 2014.

I could see MacPhail, but that's one of many names that should be on a short-list.
@levineps

#13 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

In Nats circles, the thought was Stan Kasten was angling for it. I'd say with him getting the Dodgers President gig, it's not so likely though if Selig does indeed step down in 2014.

I could see MacPhail, but that's one of many names that should be on a short-list.

Kasten's a good one. Maybe John Schuerholz.

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Kasten's a good one. Maybe John Schuerholz.

Isn't he Torre's age?, I could see him if they go the interim route. But most likely if they did that I think they'd choose someone without a team affliation like Tom Schieffer or maybe even, Kim Ng (that would get a lot of buzz). Kasten is like 60.
@levineps

#15 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I hope this proves correct- this time.

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

CBS Sports: Bud Selig: Commissioner's life in baseball leaves an indelible mark

http://www.cbssports...-indelible-mark

@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

ESPN: Bud Selig to retire after '14 season

http://espn.go.com/m...ire-2014-season

I'll still believe it when I see it, but he's clearly trying to signal here, he wants to actually retire.

@levineps

#18 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

The most interesting thing about this for me is seeing who the next MLB commissioner will be.   Here are some rumored candidates via ESPN:

Kj27LqL.png

http://espn.go.com/m...xt-commissioner

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#19 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

The most interesting thing about this for me is seeing who the next MLB commissioner will be.   Here are some rumored candidates via ESPN:

Kj27LqL.png

http://espn.go.com/m...xt-commissioner

Pretty sure it's going to be someone "inside" of baseball. I'd be shocked if Bush got it, maybe 20+ years ago, he would've been a good choice, but too much baggage at this point. Costas would be a great choice IMO, but I can't see the owners wanting him. Good chance it is someone from the central office.

@levineps

#20 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

Its about time
@BSLMikeRandall

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users