#21 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

I disagree with that description of Davis' defense.  I know that Buck speaks very highly of him at 1B, so maybe I'm way out on a limb, but I think he's just OK at 1B. Good range, great arm, but only ok at scooping throws and flat out bad at fielding ground balls.

He hasn't played outfield much, and has looked bad at times when he's been out there, but I think he's shown some flashes of being able to use his athleticism and arm out there.  I really think if he was a full-time outfielder that he would end up being well above average in RF.  As good as anybody out there aside from the handful or so of newly converted CF who still have great range which there always seems to be.

We will have to disagree, I think Davis is a really good first baseman.  His ability to scoop bad throws is run saving by itself, and I am not  sure there is a better throwing first baseman in the game.

As for RF, is he better than anyone we had, sure, but our right fielders stunk, until Bourn got here.  

@mikeghg

#22 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:31 PM

That's the other issue...how does this effect Manny?

One place where the O's have shown a clear pattern....  they're willing to pay to retain their current players.  Hopefully that continues with Manny.

#23 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

One place where the O's have shown a clear pattern....  they're willing to pay to retain their current players.  Hopefully that continues with Manny.

I hope you are right, but I am afraid resigning Manny is going to be way to rich for the Orioles blood.

@mikeghg

#24 B00E00N00

B00E00N00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maryland

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:42 PM

Please no.  I enjoyed him here but he can't play defense and with our current situation I think that's a poor allocation of resources.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 02:44 PM

We will have to disagree, I think Davis is a really good first baseman.  His ability to scoop bad throws is run saving by itself, and I am not  sure there is a better throwing first baseman in the game.

As for RF, is he better than anyone we had, sure, but our right fielders stunk, until Bourn got here.  

Agree there is likely not a better throwing 1B in the sport.  But how good of an arm your 1B rarely matters because he never has to throw the ball more than 90 feet.  Maybe one or two throws a month he can make with his arm that the worst armed guys in the league can't make.  That arm would be much better served in the outfield. 

I didn't mean that he'd be as good as anyone we've run out there recently.  I mean I think that he'll be on the 2nd tier of all defensive RF in the league once he gets used to the position.  He won't be as good as the top several guys who are all converted CF, the guys that still have solid CF range and just overwhelm the rest of the RF in terms of speed.  But I think he'll be as good as any of the other guys and solidly above average.  I'll admit we haven't seen him play that well consistently when he's been out there, he has taken some bad routes or gets turned around the wrong way on occasion.  I'm projecting what I think he would be if that became his primary position that he could work at every day.

#26 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:06 PM

Sources: Orioles perceive they are not close in talks with Mark Trumbo, and are prepared to move on to other options.

• B00E00N00 likes this

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:07 PM

Sources: Orioles perceive they are not close in talks with Mark Trumbo, and are prepared to move on to other options.

Beat me to it.

Good news.  

• B00E00N00 likes this

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:23 PM

So if we believe a 4 year offer was made, what do we think the number was?  Mid 50s?

#29 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:29 PM

So if we believe a 4 year offer was made, what do we think the number was?  Mid 50s?

60 tops...unless they wanted to defer a lot and then maybe it was a little higher but not by much.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:30 PM

Jayson Stark Retweeted Buster Olney

A source says they told Trumbo's agents they wouldn't go beyond three years, plus an option. Trumbo still looking for more years & dollars

#31 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,606 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:35 PM

He will end up lowering his demands are signing here.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#32 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:37 PM

I hope you are right, but I am afraid resigning Manny is going to be way to rich for the Orioles blood.

Unfortunately, that's the common thread for guys who the O's didn't resign (Cruz, Miller, etc).

#33 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:38 PM

Jayson Stark@jaysonst 2m2 minutes ago
Jayson Stark Retweeted Buster Olney

A source says they told Trumbo's agents they wouldn't go beyond three years, plus an option.

I fail to see what about doing that is crazy... unless the number gets above $18-$20M per year... the man is gonna hit lots of HR's, he has that part figured out... and adding another slugger to a high-HR, low-OBP team adds more value than does adding an OBP guy...

Now, if you want the team as a whole to be better at OBP, that's fine... but the diff between Trumbo and some OBP guy at DH is not gonna do that... you'd be talking about changing the character of the lineup, not just your DH.... and I fully expect that DH is how they're looking at him, not as a RF.... because we know the team values D, and a team that values D is not gonna be happy if they don't get a better-D guy to play RF every day...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#34 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:39 PM

He will end up lowering his demands are signing here.

Yeah, it would be pretty dumb to break the bank by bidding against yourself for Mark Trumbo in early December.  I think waiting makes a lot of sense here.

• Pedro Cerrano likes this

#35 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:42 PM

I could see the O's offering something like 4/60 for him.

To me, that is fair value....and it's interesting that they have that kind of money to spend.  Why aren't they spending it on the outfield?

#36 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,964 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:45 PM

Why aren't they spending it on the outfield?

Well, technically Trumbo is an outfielder.

#37 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:52 PM

Well, technically Trumbo is an outfielder.

I don't know anything that you don't know about this, but I'd be shocked if the O's want him as a regular OF'er... I can see them putting him out there once in a while, but I feel sure they want a better-D RF than him... so, at least in my mind, the O's think of him being a DH who can play RF in a jam...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#38 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 December 2016 - 03:59 PM

Sources: O's willing to discuss 4-year deal w/Trumbo in the range of $52m-$55m; counter was $75m-$80m, w/ full no-trade. So it stalled.

• SportsGuy likes this

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:03 PM

Sources: O's willing to discuss 4-year deal w/Trumbo in the range of $52m-$55m; counter was $75m-$80m, w/ full no-trade. So it stalled.

I think that's too much.  Glad they didn't take it any further.  I think Trumbo can get more.

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,932 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 04:04 PM

Despite being slightly contradictory, if the Stark and Olney reports are accurate then I'm pretty content with the Orioles decision-making here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=