508 replies to this topic

#181 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

People are on the right track, they just don't know WHY they are mad about it. One part is that they spent so much time on the penalty kill in the 3rd that cut into his time, but the other big problem was that Trotz was trying to cherry pick his line changes too perfectly and was running his 3rd and 4th out there too much. He was so worried about keeping the Leafs from scoring that he wasn't playing offense anymore. It's the equivalent of when a football team is up by 2 with 6 min left. They go into a prevent defense instead of trying to keep the ball and keep the other team off the field when they have it.

Interesting heard an interview on 980 last week a guy who was on the Pens coaching staff when they came back and beat the Caps down 3-1. Now that team had talent. But he basically said they figured out that the coach would pull Cicarelli when certain defenders and lines were out there and they knew they won the series after they started dictating the lineups to the Caps in that series and that the Pens were controlling the line changes of the Caps. Obviously a very long time ago and not overly relevant today. 

What I thought was interesting was the interview was by Alan May who hammered Trotz for the playing time after the game. May said "Babcock controlled the line changes". Maybe Trotz should have listened to that interview (of some random Pens bench coach that I can't even remember). 

The other good tidbit from the interview was from the coach in a series they played against Boston. Apparently they were down 2-0 and in the locker room all the local guys got up after the game, said they were embarassed by their play and they were embarassing themselves in their own home town and committed to stepping up the next day. I wonder if the Caps have anyone stepping up and leading from the team now? 

#182 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:48 PM

Interesting heard an interview on 980 last week a guy who was on the Pens coaching staff when they came back and beat the Caps down 3-1. Now that team had talent. But he basically said they figured out that the coach would pull Cicarelli when certain defenders and lines were out there and they knew they won the series after they started dictating the lineups to the Caps in that series and that the Pens were controlling the line changes of the Caps. Obviously a very long time ago and not overly relevant today. 

What I thought was interesting was the interview was by Alan May who hammered Trotz for the playing time after the game. May said "Babcock controlled the line changes". Maybe Trotz should have listened to that interview (of some random Pens bench coach that I can't even remember). 

The other good tidbit from the interview was from the coach in a series they played against Boston. Apparently they were down 2-0 and in the locker room all the local guys got up after the game, said they were embarassed by their play and they were embarassing themselves in their own home town and committed to stepping up the next day. I wonder if the Caps have anyone stepping up and leading from the team now? 

Yep. TOR was going to ride or die on that young top line, and they ran them out, sat them for a couple min to get their breath and ran them right back out there. They were so fast and just ran the team down. Trotz tried to answer that by throwing his defenders at them, but that meant he was letting Babs force him into only playing his defense. When our top line was out there we had them deep in their zone every time. Our second line and run and gun too, so we could have given them a breath with Kuzy and had them really scrambling to change, but instead he played conservative and decided he was going to match lines no matter what.

How'd that work out for him?

That's also a good point I was thinking last night actually, when they had the game almost put away, they kept letting up off them. (5-3 advantage and ensuing power play would have put the game away) but instead they got all cute and weren't getting shots or good shots, it's like they were playing lazy. Someone on that team has to step up and tell them to stop mailing it in, that just cause on paper they should win doesn't mean they are entitled to anything. I mean you all saw my breakdown of TOR before the series started, and they have lived up to every bit of it haven't they?

The last thing driving me nuts is STOP SHOOTING GLOVE SIDE!!! Anderson has one of the best gloves in all of hockey, his glove hand is SOOO quick. Start shooting to the other side where he has to cheat to cover, it'll open up space to shoot at.

• You Play to Win the Game, Don Quixote and Dupin like this
@JeremyMStrain

#183 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:28 AM

Maybe they'll stop shooting glove side on Anderson, ugh. Seriously though not sure how they didn't get the game winner there.

The last thing driving me nuts is STOP SHOOTING GLOVE SIDE!!! Anderson has one of the best gloves in all of hockey, his glove hand is SOOO quick. Start shooting to the other side where he has to cheat to cover, it'll open up space to shoot at.

First ;)

• You Play to Win the Game, JeremyStrain and Don Quixote like this

#184 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:38 AM

Game 4 is tonight, time to step it up.

Alzner is still out which means Nate Schimdt paired up with Carlson.  Something to keep an eye on, when the Carlson pairing is on the ice with the 2nd line they have been getting dominated by the Matthews line.  It will be tough with Toronto having last change but Trotz needs to try and avoid that matchup if/when possible.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#185 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:47 AM

I'm drinking for tonight's game. Be forewarned. Hopefully we win for everyones sake.

• DuffMan likes this

#186 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Game 4 is tonight, time to step it up.

Alzner is still out which means Nate Schimdt paired up with Carlson.  Something to keep an eye on, when the Carlson pairing is on the ice with the 2nd line they have been getting dominated by the Matthews line.  It will be tough with Toronto having last change but Trotz needs to try and avoid that matchup if/when possible.

Schmidt isn't defensive enough to be able to stop the speed of that top line. Carlson is ok defensively, but more of an offensive guy, so that's NOT the pair you want out there when the top line is out. Unfortunately home team gets the second line change, so they can wait to see who they send out and match their top line whenever they put them out.

The problem is what is your alternative? You've got Carlson, Shattenkirk, Orlov and Niskanen who are all more offensive than defensive, and Schmidt kinda falls into that same type. Orpik is the closest to a D-first guy we have right now.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#187 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:23 AM

I'm drinking for tonight's game. Be forewarned. Hopefully we win for everyones sake.

I refuse to watch. Superstitions and all.

@JeremyMStrain

#188 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

Schmidt isn't defensive enough to be able to stop the speed of that top line. Carlson is ok defensively, but more of an offensive guy, so that's NOT the pair you want out there when the top line is out. Unfortunately home team gets the second line change, so they can wait to see who they send out and match their top line whenever they put them out.

The problem is what is your alternative? You've got Carlson, Shattenkirk, Orlov and Niskanen who are all more offensive than defensive, and Schmidt kinda falls into that same type. Orpik is the closest to a D-first guy we have right now.

I've been pretty impressed with the Orlov-Niskanen pairing so far so that would probably be my first pick.  Shattenkirk seems to be on the ice for several of these goals  so not sure I want him out there even if it's with Orpik.

#189 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:35 AM

I've been pretty impressed with the Orlov-Niskanen pairing so far so that would probably be my first pick.  Shattenkirk seems to be on the ice for several of these goals  so not sure I want him out there even if it's with Orpik.

Niskanen is probably the most balanced defender we have right now, but he and Orlov were pretty horrible at clearing the puck last game. Those extended rushes where it looked like they were on a PK cause they just couldn't get the puck out was almost always the two of them. Maybe better at keeping the puck out of the front of the crease, but not so good at getting the puck up the ice when the top lines arent there to carry it out.

@JeremyMStrain

#190 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

Winning more faceoffs would help things out too.

#191 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 158,120 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:28 PM

Sports on Earth: A Caps Fan's Guide To Staying Calm
http://www.sportsone...-maple-leafs-ot

#192 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

Sports on Earth: A Caps Fan's Guide To Staying Calm
http://www.sportsone...-maple-leafs-ot

Cliff notes: Xanax

• Dupin likes this

#193 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:35 PM

If it plays out like the last three games, I'm going to be too hungover to go to work tomorrow.

#194 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 19 April 2017 - 06:39 PM

Somebody buy Tom Wilson a beer!

#195 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

Can't wait to see how they screw this one up.

#196 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

I love what I'm seeing, but I don't know if I have the belief it will last.  But if they play like this every minute, every night, they can't be stopped by anyone.  This aggression is amazing to watch.

• Don Quixote likes this

#197 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

4-3 time for another beer. Every. Year.

#198 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,328 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 08:52 PM

Should not have been that hard to close out.
  • Don Quixote likes this

#199 Don Quixote

Don Quixote

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,055 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 11:43 PM

Wilson was fucking amazing in the first period, three-goal margin by himself. I agree that they need to put the boot down and keep it there. Shit is maddening. Really need this next one.

• DuffMan likes this

#200 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,966 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

Should not have been that hard to close out.

Too be fair, Nate Schimdt's goal shouldn't have been waived off either.  That changed the flow of the 3rd period.

They were fortunate Holtby came up huge early in the 3rd,  those two penalties at the end of the second were terrible.  That's the second game in a row Eller has taken a bad penalty late.

The bounces/breaks were certainly going Toronto's way, glad to see that didn't stop the Caps.  I don't care about style points in the playoffs, just give me wins!

• Don Quixote likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=