#161 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Gonna be a movie soon too.

Spielberg directing.  I can't really imagine how they are going to get licensing for everything in that book, but it could be really cool if they pull it off.

• JeremyStrain likes this

#162 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 June 2015 - 05:40 AM

Working through two books at the same time right now, which is something I don't think I've done before aside from perhaps in school if I had assignments.

Reading A Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson that a friend of mine recommended strongly.  It's a huge fantasy opus (fortunately it's on my Kindle app) that I struggled to get into or really even understand and comprehend at first, but I'm pretty into it now.  Still only like 30% of the way through which is crazy though.  And even crazier is that he intends to have 10 books in the series...doubt I'll ever get through all of those.

Sanderson is the guy that finished up The Wheel of Time books for Robert Jordan after he died.  A friend of mine recommend A Way of Kings back in the Winter.  I thought about reading it but I was already a few books into Wheel of Time at the time and decided to hold off for the time being.  I almost done book 7,  which means I've only got 7 more to go if I see this series through.  It's lost some luster, but I'll keep reading for now,  I'm curious to see if there is a change in tone once I switch from the Jordan WoT books to the Sanderson ones.  Having said that I would still like to check out A Way of Kings at some point, but it may be a while before I get there.

#163 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

Also reading Wired by Bob Woodward, a biography of John Belushi.  Really enjoying this, though it's incredibly sad seeing how thoroughly drugs destroyed his life.  I've got another bio on him, the one written in part by his wife, that I'm gonna read next that apparently gets more into John as a person.  The Woodward piece literally cannot go one page without mentioning his drug use.

I was holding out hope that maybe in the book he wouldn't OD and would get to keep making great movies.  But of course not because that's ridiculous.  I didn't expect to get sad when I actually got to the part where he died, but I got sad :(

#164 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 June 2015 - 08:47 AM

I'm almost finished the 2nd book in the "Gentleman's Bastards" series.  (Lies of Locke Lamora)

Think, fantasy Ocean's 11. It's fantastic. One of the better series I've read so far.

There are going to be 7 books. The first 3 are already out: Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas Under Red Skies and The Republic of Thieves. The 4th is set to be released in September of this year.

http://en.wikipedia....astard_Sequence

BTW, Patrick Rothfuss, the author of "The Name of The Wind" (The Kingkiller Chronicle Series) recommended this series. He's a huge fan. And Rothfuss is one of my favorite author's... and is a badass.

#165 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

Charles Stross... The Laundry Files series... (trust me on this one...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#166 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

Kindle freebie... get it while you can.

Singapore Burning: Heroism and Surrender in World War II

http://www.amazon.co...ngapore burning

• RShack likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#167 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 23 June 2015 - 10:57 PM

Just started reading Gone Girl today.

@DJ_McCann

#168 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:22 AM

The movie is better. It has moving pictures. Audio. Only a couple hours long. The book has....pages. with words. :P
@BSLMikeRandall

#169 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:23 AM

The movie is better. It has moving pictures. Audio. Only a couple hours long. The book has....pages. with words. :P

You sound like Rob Shields.

But I guess in this instance I do too... that's not my preferred genre to read. I definitely enjoyed the movie though. I actually found it more interesting if I viewed it as satire.
  • Russ and Mike in STL like this

#170 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:17 PM

Reading Dave Barry always makes me happy.

@DJ_McCann

#171 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

Finally read The Martian. Only took me a few months to sit down and read it - and finish it in 2 days :lol:

"bout to start reading The Things They Carried. Any other recommendations?

#172 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:08 AM

On to book 10 in The Wheel of Time!

#173 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 09:39 AM

I'm reading The Way of Kings, which is the first in a planned many-book series by Brandon Sanderson .  Took me a while to get into it (and it's a huge book), but I'm really digging it now.

Hah, just realized I already mentioned this on this page of this thread, with the same "struggled at first, into now" summary over two months ago.  Haven't noticed a percentage to have an idea of how close I am to the end, but I think I'm getting close.  Already bought the 2nd one on my Kindle.

#174 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,316 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

Re-reading Lord of the Rings, which I haven't done since I was in grade school.  I forgot just how much better the books were than the movies, although this is one of the few cases where the movies are actually still top notch.  They just streamlined the story a bit, and adapted Tolkein's propensity for flowery long-winded bits of dialog to the screen.

• Mark Carver likes this

#175 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:36 AM

I just borrowed The Accidental Tourist, by Anne Tyler, from the E-Library, and Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut, from Amazon.

@DJ_McCann

#176 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Amazon has a bunch of e-books on sale right now for $2 if anyone is interested.

Includes the first book of that Kingkiller Chronicle that Ricker recommended me a while back, so I picked that up (digitally, of course). Others that I've previously read include The Martian, Ready Player One, Game of Thrones, Zombie Survival Guide, and Jurassic Park.

Also a shitload of what appears to be cheap fanfic about either were-beasts or sexy Navy SEALS, if that's your thing (and why wouldn't it be?).

#177 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:57 AM

They had a few of these for sale yesterday, too. Bought Ready Player One to read again, and The Martian just to read. Definitely buying Jurassic Park--now I won't have to worry about wearing out paperback copies ever again.

@DJ_McCann

#178 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

Finished The Martian. That was a fun read.

• Russ likes this
@DJ_McCann

#179 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,880 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 30 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

Anyone reading Aftermath, the new Star Wars book that takes place immediately after Return of the Jedi?  I'm struggling to get into it...why do they make character names so damned hard to pronounce, which makes it all that much more difficult to remember also!  I'm 25% of the way through and I don't read fast and for long periods of time at once, so I'm just hoiping I get into it before Halloween.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#180 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

http://collider.com/...trick-rothfuss/

Big news for fans of the "King Killer Chronicles" (Name of the Wind) / Patrick Rothfuss. This is going to be awesome, if done well.

BTW, Rothfuss is awesome...

Now I know some of you will be reading this news with fear in your hearts. You’ll worry about them screwing it up. I understand. I know you love these books.

But hear me when I say this: You cannot love these books more than I do. You can’t care about them more than I do. I’ve put twenty years of my life into them. They ride next to my heart. They are my tangible soul.

And I’m not stupid. I hope by this point you know me well enough that you can trust me not to rush into… well… anything. If I cut a deal like this, it’s only because I really think there’s a chance for us to make something beautiful.Now I know some of you will be reading this news with fear in your hearts. You’ll worry about them screwing it up. I understand. I know you love these books.

But hear me when I say this: You cannot love these books more than I do. You can’t care about them more than I do. I’ve put twenty years of my life into them. They ride next to my heart. They are my tangible soul.

And I’m not stupid. I hope by this point you know me well enough that you can trust me not to rush into… well… anything. If I cut a deal like this, it’s only because I really think there’s a chance for us to make something beautiful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=