#201 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

Just finished 'The Sworn Sword'. I agree it took some time to get into it but it turned out to be pretty darn good. Still prefer 'The Hedge Knight' so far.

I really liked all of the Blackfire fallout that was discussed. I'll have Sworn Sword finished tonight after I get the kids to bed.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#202 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

Just finished 'The Sworn Sword'. I agree it took some time to get into it but it turned out to be pretty darn good. Still prefer 'The Hedge Knight' so far.

I really liked all of the Blackfire fallout that was discussed. I'll have Sworn Sword finished tonight after I get the kids to bed.

Yeah that was definitely the most interesting part to me as well.

#203 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

'The Mystery Knight' was great. Wish there was more to read.
  • DuffMan likes this

#204 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 02:27 PM

TGOT is getting really good.  It took me a while to get all the characters right in my head.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#205 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

TGOT is getting really good.  It took me a while to get all the characters right in my head.

That was the hardest part for me... especially given how the chapters focus on one area at a time basically. Such a giant scale, definitely took a while to get a good grasp on the people/places/things. Great stuff though.

#206 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yeah Bram just woke up.  You can see how things will get really complicated.

#207 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

'The Mystery Knight' was great. Wish there was more to read.

Finished thay one last night, and agreed that it as great! Loved all that lingering resentment over the failed rebellion, also dug the Blood raven info. Not sure if/when we will get more Dunk and Egg but I definitely hope we do. I know the events of Summerhalll have been mentioned often in ASOIAF, so I'm curious if that reveal comes in Dunk/Egg or ASOIAF.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#208 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:34 AM

Bloodraven is a fascinating figure. I want to see them at Summerhall, up north, and when Egg becomes the unlikely.

#209 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

I started reading The Martian. I missed the movie in theaters, so I'm going to try to finish the book first now. I'm really enjoying the tone despite it being a book about a man trying to grow potatoes right now. The character's actions and attitude seem very realistic.

Loving my paper white. It reads so nicely.

#210 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

If The Martian finishes like this, I'll probably consider it one of my favorite books.  Really glad I'm getting to read the book first.

#211 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

Antony Beevor talked about his book, Ardennes 1944: The Battle of the Bulge on BookTV, C-Span2

http://www.c-span.or...n-ardennes-1944

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#212 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

Got the oil changed in my car yesterday.  Had a bit of a wait so I caved and downloaded "The Way of Kings" (Stormlight Archive) to my phone and started reading it.

#213 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

I eagerly await your opinion in 4 months when you finish it.

Long ass book!  I've read both of the two that have been released in the series.  I thought it was a real slog to get through at first, was maybe 1/2 way through the first before I started enjoying it.  Have really liked it since then, though.

#214 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Finished TGOT.  Fantastic.  Great how al these cliff hangers were all dumped on me.  Looking forward to the next book.

On Monday I started The Blind Side.  I am already 2/3 done and it is amazing.  One thing that was truly eye opening is how much of a genius Bill Walsh was.

#215 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

I eagerly await your opinion in 4 months when you finish it.

Long ass book!  I've read both of the two that have been released in the series.  I thought it was a real slog to get through at first, was maybe 1/2 way through the first before I started enjoying it.  Have really liked it since then, though.

Made it to the end of Part One, about to start the first interlude (whatever that is.) There's certainly a lot to take in but I've enjoyed it for the most part so far. I don't mind that he doesn't immediately explain everything. I don't need that massive info dump. It's a long series, plenty of time for that.

#216 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

The biggest bookseller in the world might be about to get quite a bit bigger — IRL.

Amazon, the retail behemoth, plans to open hundreds of brick and mortar bookstores, according to the CEO of a large mall ownership and operation group.

“Even Amazon [is] opening bricks-and-mortar book stores, and their goal is to open, as I understand, 300 to 400 book stores,” Sandeep Mathrani, CEO of General Growth Properties, said Tuesday during an earnings call.

http://www.buzzfeed....jx7#.atwOemwr70

qoprnqf4rr206kayitq4.jpg

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#217 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

People already use Barnes and Noble and Best Buy as showrooms for Amazon. So why not eliminate the middleman and any risk of losing the sale?

@DJ_McCann

#218 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 February 2016 - 10:21 AM

Got the oil changed in my car yesterday.  Had a bit of a wait so I caved and downloaded "The Way of Kings" (Stormlight Archive) to my phone and started reading it.

Halfway through "The Way of Kings",  Kaladin is definitely my favorite character so far.

• Mackus likes this

#219 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:49 PM

Started reading The Water Knife, about a fictional Southwestern US in the near future where the major drought has continued and causes huge social and political upheavals around who does and doesn't have water.

If you like discussions about water rights from the Colorado River, this novel is for you :P It's really good so far, though.

@DJ_McCann

#220 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

Reading through Please Kill Me.

Brief synopsis: Lou Reed was a junkie, Andy Warhol was weird and Patti Smith is a total creep.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=