#121 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,806 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:31 PM

Currently reading/listening to A Dance with Dragons....I must say I've spent a lot of time in my car, so listening ot the audiobook seems like a good idea...however, I can't stand the voice of the GD narrator!  PIck someone with a fucking american accent!!!!!!  

Maybe this belongs in the "RANTS" thread.  ;-)

• JeremyStrain likes this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#122 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:35 PM

Not sure about the library but Ready Player One is awesome. As is The Name of the Wind.

Ready Player One is fantastic. I liked The Art of Fielding, which is a book centered around a ballplayer but not really about baseball.

I haven't read a huge amount of fiction in recent years, so I'm better for NF books.

Just read player one. It was amazing. He had me hooked in the first couple pages when he described Adventure on Atari. It was my first system and game too.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#123 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

I've been reading a lot more over the last few months than in recent years.  Started off just re-reading stuff I've ready before and know I like.  I find books to be such a time commitment that I'm often scared of trying new ones because I don't want to hate it and regret it.  Re-read all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, the 4th and 5th ASOIAF books, Lamb, and World War Z.

Just ventured out and bought a couple new books with some saved up Amazon credits, though.  I order stuff from Amazon all the time, and you get a $1 credit if you're a prime subscriber but choose the 'no-rush' shipping option.

The Martian and Ready Player One are the two I just bought.  I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Martian and I'm loving it.  Excited that some others on here really enjoyed Ready Player One, I took a gamble on that one, and will read it next.  The synopsis sounds a lot like Snow Crash which I've read but struggled to get through.  But someone with similar tastes to mine told me I'd enjoy it, so gonna give it a shot.

#124 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

I've been reading a lot more over the last few months than in recent years.  Started off just re-reading stuff I've ready before and know I like.  I find books to be such a time commitment that I'm often scared of trying new ones because I don't want to hate it and regret it.  Re-read all of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books, the 4th and 5th ASOIAF books, Lamb, and World War Z.

Just ventured out and bought a couple new books with some saved up Amazon credits, though.  I order stuff from Amazon all the time, and you get a $1 credit if you're a prime subscriber but choose the 'no-rush' shipping option.

The Martian and Ready Player One are the two I just bought.  I'm about 1/4 of the way through The Martian and I'm loving it.  Excited that some others on here really enjoyed Ready Player One, I took a gamble on that one, and will read it next.  The synopsis sounds a lot like Snow Crash which I've read but struggled to get through.  But someone with similar tastes to mine told me I'd enjoy it, so gonna give it a shot.

I'd be really surprised if you don't like Ready Player One. Although, I hope all of the talk doesn't hype it up too much for you :P

I heard good things about The Martian. I borrowed it once from the library but didn't get around to reading it. Might have to try it again.

@DJ_McCann

#125 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Finished both The Martian and Ready Player One.

Flew through both, so I guess that's a good sign.  I enjoyed both of them, probably The Martian a little bit more.  I thought both started better than they ended, but I'm glad I read each of them.

Now to find something different!

#126 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:23 PM

Bought myself a Kindle. Loving every minute of it.

I still love reading a 'real' book - but the ease and convenience of an e-reader is awesome. So awesome. 

#127 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:24 PM

Bought myself a Kindle. Loving every minute of it.

I still love reading a 'real' book - but the ease and convenience of an e-reader is awesome. So awesome. 

Love it. But I had to do the e-ink Kindle. The back lit readers were way too harsh on my eyes. Started giving me migraines.

#128 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:31 PM

Love it. But I had to do the e-ink Kindle. The back lit readers were way too harsh on my eyes. Started giving me migraines.

Yeah, I bought the paperwhite or whatever it's called. 

#129 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 02:03 PM

I just use an app on my tablet, but I think a paperwhite will be an upcoming purchase.  Easier on the eyes, order of magnitude better battery life, and access to the lending library.  Seems worth the expense.

#130 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

I just use an app on my tablet, but I think a paperwhite will be an upcoming purchase.  Easier on the eyes, order of magnitude better battery life, and access to the lending library.  Seems worth the expense.

It definitely is. I've read more over the past 3 months than I did in the past 3 years.

Want ridiculously long battery life? Turn on airplane mode. It's been a few weeks since I charged my kindle

#131 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

It definitely is. I've read more over the past 3 months than I did in the past 3 years.

Want ridiculously long battery life? Turn on airplane mode. It's been a few weeks since I charged my kindle

It's amazing how much you can save the battery by turning off the internet connection. Even my Fire gets days of battery life (though not constant use, to be fair) just by having the antenna turn off when the device goes to sleep.

@DJ_McCann

#132 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:58 PM

Winston Churchill Day, free kindle books! (Apr 9-11)

As the publisher of the Official Biography of Winston Churchill, Hillsdale College plans to host a celebration on April 9 in honor of national Winston Churchill Day!

To mark the anniversary of Churchill's honorary US citizenship, Hillsdale College and RosettaBooks are offering free Kindle downloads of all 8 volumes of the official biography on April 9-11 – An $80 value, absolutely free!

http://winstonchurch...&_hsmi=16994283

• RShack likes this

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#133 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

The wi-fi version of the Paperwhite is on sale for $99 for the next couple of days.

http://www.amazon.co...pf_rd_i=desktop

#134 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:45 AM

Personally, I'd never have a kindle, due to the closed nature of it... if it doesn't have a micro-SD slot, I don't want it... which means android for me...but beyond that, I've had great experience with the Blue Light app... it not only filters blue light, but it gives great dim-control (which some other dim apps really don't)... which means I can crank the brightness down enough to make eye strain go away... (I use aldiko, which lets me fine tune the brightness by just running a finger up and down the left screen border...)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#135 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,875 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 08:17 AM

Personally, I'd never have a kindle, due to the closed nature of it... if it doesn't have a micro-SD slot, I don't want it... 

This isn't really an issue for a Kindle, since text takes up no space - you can fit thousands of books on one, even with no additional memory.  And there's free cloud storage for any books that you buy.

#136 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna pick up one of those paperwhites on sale.  My tablet is sufficient for reading books at home, but it dies pretty quickly so not ideal for reading on the go.

Finished Ready Player One and The Martian.  Any other recommendations?  I've accrued another $10 or so in e-credits from Amazon so I should be able to get 1-2 books for free or at least really cheap.

#137 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

I'm sure you've already read it, but I loved the Millenium Series by Stieg Larsson... and the 4th installment is coming out posthumously in November.

• Mackus likes this

#138 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:40 AM

The Ravens Shadow series by Anthony Ryan is very good. A bit dry at times, but damn good story telling and it's building to something epic.

I'm also sure you've read this, but if not, the King Killer Chronicles (The Name of the Wind) by Patrick Rothfuss is amazing.

#139 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

Nope, I haven't read anything.  I'll look into those.  Thanks man.

#140 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

OK, by order of most enjoyable for me: The King Killer Chronicles, Millenium Series, Ravens Shadow. Enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=