646 replies to this topic

#101 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

Does anyone have a kindle paperwhite? I'm interested in how it is in the dark.
Actually, if you get the paperwhite, you can read in the dark without a light - the backlight on the paperwhite is enough.
That's excellent. Thank you very much.

#102 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:32 PM

Paperwhites are currently on sale for $99.

• Russ likes this

#103 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:42 PM

Does anyone have a kindle paperwhite? I'm interested in how it is in the dark.

Actually, if you get the paperwhite, you can read in the dark without a light - the backlight on the paperwhite is enough.

Yep. That's my bad Russ. I keep getting the E-Ink and paper white confused.

#104 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Anyone got some suggestions for books to read?  I got my girlfriend a kindle paperwhite for christmas and she's finally getting around to using it.  I'll probably have a chance to read on it as well while we're on some long flights coming up.

Anything good from the Amazon Prime owner's lending library?

#105 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Not sure about the library but Ready Player One is awesome. As is The Name of the Wind.

#106 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:30 AM

Anyone got some suggestions for books to read?  I got my girlfriend a kindle paperwhite for christmas and she's finally getting around to using it.  I'll probably have a chance to read on it as well while we're on some long flights coming up.   Anything good from the Amazon Prime owner's lending library?

What does she like? You can borrow almost anything from the library, but you're capped at one book per month to borrow.

#107 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

What does she like? You can borrow almost anything from the library, but you're capped at one book per month to borrow.

Ah, may have given too much information.  I don't care what she wants to read, looking for something for myself :)

#108 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Ah, may have given too much information.  I don't care what she wants to read, looking for something for myself :)
Oh I misread that part. One of the best books I've read in the past few months is Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto. It's a little dark, but entertaining. Give some of the pulp fiction a chance, too. I think you might enjoy it. Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett or The Little Sister by Raymond Chandler are both good intros.

#109 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:22 AM

I recently read the Hunger Games trilogy on the urging of my stepdaughter. I thought it would be fun to talk with her about the books. I don't dislike dystopian books really (The Long Walk by King is an underrated one. The Road by McCarthy is excellent.), but I do not like young adult. Regardless, I read them. The first two were fantastic. Collins's writing style takes some getting used to. Maybe it's because it's written in first person from Katniss's POV, but as soon as I made peace with that, they were an enjoyable read. Just pure story and very entertaining. The third one didn't hold my attention. I found myself jumping chapters because I just wanted to see how the series ended. I liked the first two movies, but I'm probably less likely to see the conclusion in the theater.

#110 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

The 3rd book was not good. I agree.
  • Russ likes this

#111 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

The 3rd book was not good. I agree.

If you liked the first two, read The Long Walk. Similar idea, better execution so far as the written word goes.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#112 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 21 May 2014 - 04:38 PM

Not sure about the library but Ready Player One is awesome. As is The Name of the Wind.

Ready Player One is fantastic. I liked The Art of Fielding, which is a book centered around a ballplayer but not really about baseball.

I haven't read a huge amount of fiction in recent years, so I'm better for NF books.

@DJ_McCann

#113 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:19 PM

Rereading World War Z.

@DJ_McCann

#114 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I FINALLY finished that goddamn The Bully Pulpit. Granted, I was reading other books alongside, and I did enjoy it in general, but that was a hell of a slog at times.

Now I have a nice backlog of reading. Bios of Brooks Robinson, James Madison, Jim Henson and (the one I just started) Robert E. Lee. Plus the semester about to start.

@DJ_McCann

#115 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

I FINALLY finished that goddamn The Bully Pulpit. Granted, I was reading other books alongside, and I did enjoy it in general, but that was a hell of a slog at times.   Now I have a nice backlog of reading. Bios of Brooks Robinson, James Madison, Jim Henson and (the one I just started) Robert E. Lee. Plus the semester about to start.

Let me know what you think of the Lee one. Sounds interesting.

#116 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:24 PM

Let me know what you think of the Lee one. Sounds interesting.

Yeah, I've been looking for one for a while. I'll let you know.

@DJ_McCann

#117 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

I've started reading The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

I finished "The Blade Itself" the other day and have moved on to "Before They are Hanged". 

#118 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm reading On Such A Full Sea by Chang-Rae Lee.

I became curious when I saw that it was getting good reviews and was set in a futuristic Baltimore. Though that setting isn't as important to the story as I hoped, the author has a very interesting world set up and a story that I'm interested to see where it goes.

@DJ_McCann

#119 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

I'm 3/4 through Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (she wrote Seabiscuit: An American Legend).The movie is coming out this Christmas so I had to read the book first before seeing the movie. I don't see how they can put everything in the book into a 2 hour movie. It's an incredible read about how one man went through in his life. Louis Zamperini went from being in the 1936 Olympics to war in the Pacific to being held and brutalized by the Japanese..

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#120 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

I've started reading The First Law Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.

I finished "The Blade Itself" the other day and have moved on to "Before They are Hanged". 

Read the whole Trilogy, it's a good not great series.  Some pretty interesting characters in there though.  Sand Dan Glotka might be even more despicable than Tyrion Lannister, if that's possible.

Finished reading The Eye of the World (Book 1 of the Wheel of Time), getting ready to start book 2, the Great Hunt.  I'm not sure if I'll read the whole series (theres 13 or 14 books), but I'll probably read a few more at least.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)

Our Sponsors

width=