641 replies to this topic

#81 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:43 PM

I also read An Imperfect God: George Washington, His Slaves, and the Creation of America by Henry Wiencek

Great, great book.  With all of the amazing tales in history, how can they make the classes so boring?

#82 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:50 PM

I just finished reading book #2 of The King Killer Chronicles (Triology) by Patrick Rothfuss. Book 2 was The Wise Man's Fear, Book 1 was The Name of The Wind. The 3rd book will be out next year, apparently.

The Name of The Wind was a solid 8.5/10, while The Wise Man's Fear was a 9.5/10. Just phenomenal books. This series has been picked up by a studio for TV as well, but I'm not sure when that will launch.

Quite epic, fantasy/magic/reminds me a ton of Elder Scrolls.

#83 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 06 December 2013 - 06:05 PM

Finished Veeck As In Wreck. Highly recommended. Unfortunately, because of when it was written (early sixties, and I got an edition from that era: thanks Enoch Pratt Library! :P) it ends with him just out of Chicago and recovering from his leg amputation and doesn't cover his later stint back with the Sox. But there is a lot of great stuff about his start (he went into Milwaukee after buying the minor-league club with about $1 to his name), all of the various financial machinations he went through to finance his clubs, the backstory of the Browns moving to Baltimore (he was set to move before 1953, but the league screwed him and the city over), and a lot of information on the characters around baseball in the fifties and sixties (especially Ford Frick...oh, how he HATED Ford Frick).

Still making my way though A Dance With Dragons. Also, have One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson waiting at the library.

@DJ_McCann

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

Still making my way though A Dance With Dragons. Also, have One Summer: America, 1927 by Bill Bryson waiting at the library.

Are those books hard to read? Are they long reads?

#85 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

Are those books hard to read? Are they long reads?

They aren't a hard read. In fact, they are for the most part extremely interesting books (even for someone who isn't a particularly big fan of fantasy, like me).

They are LONG, though. The first book is listed as over 800 pages on Amazon, books two and four are slightly shorter, five is over 1150 pages and book three is over 1200. Now, that never bothers me as a reader, but I know a lot of people see a book that thick and freak out.

It should also be noted that a significant portion of the end of each book is a listing of all of the various houses and cities and characters, which can add up to ~5 percent of the book.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@DJ_McCann

#86 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:13 PM

Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith

About 150 pages into it now. Excellent. It's got me fascinated with Soviet Russia.

They're making it into a movie, with Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman and Noomi Rapace. Richard Price is writing the script.

So yeah, I'm pumped.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#87 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

I'm buried under a book avalanche.

I'm trying to work my way through The Bully Pulpit, by Doris Kearns Goodwin, about the Roosevelt and Taft administrations and the rise of muckraking journalism.

I have a bunch of books to read for my Post-WWII US Military History class. We're reading The Generals by Thomas Ricks all through the semester. We're supposed to start Fail-Safe by Eugene Berdick and Harvey Wheeler, though I haven't yet. Later will be Starship Troopers (which I've already read...and I won't bring up the movie :P), and Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan.

Then, I have a 25-page research paper (on Camden Yards, so expect to see that posted at some point :P), for which I will need to read parts of a bunch of books. Oh, and we already read about half of Roots of Steel by Deborah Rudicille, about the rise and fall of Bethlehem Steel and the town of Sparrows Point (that is really good, by the way).

If I didn't love procrastination so much, you all may never hear from me again.

@DJ_McCann

#88 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I just picked up a book from the library called The Martian by Andy Weir. Anyone read it? It got a good review from the AV Club and sounds pretty funny.

I also ordered Up, Up and Away by Jonah Keri. It's his history of the Expos.

@DJ_McCann

#89 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

I was just thinking about the Keri book. I'll have to read that when it comes out. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#90 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

I was just thinking about the Keri book. I'll have to read that when it comes out. 

It came out yesterday :D

@DJ_McCann

#91 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Yup, just saw it. Read the prologue on my iPhone just now. Now I REALLY need to get it.

#92 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:47 PM

Ive read a ton of books lately. I just finished Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto. He created True Detective. Great book.

#93 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 15 April 2014 - 02:30 PM

Is anyone on Good Reads? Its a social-media web-site for book lovers. You track all the books you've read, rate them and write notes on them if you'd like. You connect with friends and it's a good way to get book recommendations. Let me know if you'd like to connect.

Was reading through this thread and I really like this site, so I'll quote your post from a year and a half ago. It'd be cool if I knew more people using it!

@AdamWolff

#94 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:38 PM

I am on Good Reads and I'd like to connect.
  • Adam Wolff and You Play to Win the Game like this

#95 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:29 PM

Just finished David Sedaris's Me Talk Pretty One Day.  It's a collection of personal essays.  Some are hilariously funny, and some miss the mark.  Here's a youtube of him reading "You Can't Kill the Rooster" which is one of the funnier essays in the book(NSFW, language) :

#96 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:01 AM

Does anyone have a kindle paperwhite? I'm interested in how it is in the dark.

#97 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,340 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

I do, and absolutely love it. It's so much easier on your eyes. Reading from an iPad or my phone was killing me. You will need a light for it though for reading in the dark.

I got this light to put on a desk near my couch that works perfectly. http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B0051T1SJC
  • Russ likes this

#98 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

I do, and absolutely love it. It's so much easier on your eyes. Reading from an iPad or my phone was killing me. You will need a light for it though for reading in the dark.

I got this light to put on a desk near my couch that works perfectly. http://www.amazon.co...aw/d/B0051T1SJC

Thanks!

#99 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 01:09 PM

I believe a new one is coming out relatively soon that's supposedly more of an upgrade than the 2013 model. Might want to look into that if you're thinking about getting one, I don't remember the details off the top of my head.
  • Russ likes this

#100 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Actually, if you get the paperwhite, you can read in the dark without a light - the backlight on the paperwhite is enough.
  • Russ likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=