#181 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

Finished book 10 of WoT recently, that one was a grind.  Had a bit more free time this past week or so and I've been blowing through book 11 and should be finished at some point this week.   After that only 3 more to go!

#182 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

Finished book 10 of WoT recently, that one was a grind.  Had a bit more free time this past week or so and I've been blowing through book 11 and should be finished at some point this week.   After that only 3 more to go!

Done 11 and now half way through book 12.  The series has definitely gotten good again with the endgame in sight.

#183 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:03 AM

There are a slew of kindle freebies, Holocaust memoirs out today from the Azrieli Foundation:

https://www.amazon.c...&qid=1445439206

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#184 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,883 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

Anyone else reading or have read the new Star Wars book by Troy Wenning or whatever his name is?  If you haven't don't bother...what a steaming pile of shit it is.  AWFUL!!!!  I still have about 50 pages to read, and I'm struggling to get through it.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#185 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

Anyone else reading or have read the new Star Wars book by Troy Wenning or whatever his name is?  If you haven't don't bother...what a steaming pile of shit it is.  AWFUL!!!!  I still have about 50 pages to read, and I'm struggling to get through it.

Chuck Wendig. Read one of his books once. Really, really disliked it.
  • fishteacher likes this

#186 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:22 AM

The Laundry Series by Charles Stross

A sci-fi spy series:  The main character is an ex-IT consultant who works as a Computational Demonologist for a super-secret British intelligence service, The Laundry, that protects society from nasty occult creatures...  

In general, I'm not big on sci-fi... but this series is wonderful...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#187 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

Done 11 and now half way through book 12.  The series has definitely gotten good again with the endgame in sight.

Home stretch now,  about 1/2 through the last book "A Memory of Light" in the series (14)

#188 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

If anyone is into sci-fi, post apocalypse stuff, there's a really good novel series titled "The Remaining"; penned by DJ Molles .

There are 6 books in the series; basic premise is the US government has a doomsday plan where there is 1 special forces soldier stationed in every state of the Union. Their job is to help re-establish things in the wake of any type of catastrophe. The catastrophic event in "The Remaining" is a pandemic known as "F.U.R.Y." (picture a cross between the infected of I Am Legend and the "new" zombies of 28 Days Later or the Dawn of the Dead remake)

The books move really quickly and are quite addicting. I highly recommend them.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#189 Mark Carver

Mark Carver

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:28 AM

If you have listed to WBAL radio in the past or currently. Longtime traffic guru for them, (Detour) Dave Sandler has a new book out, 

On a hot summer day in 2009, Dave Sandler's life took its biggest detour. He dropped dead on a softball field, but God was not ready to take him. Taking a Detour, describes the many health obstacles and professional challenges he overcame when a cure for cancer caused unforeseen-and catastrophic-health problems decades later. Each chapter is punctuated with important life lessons that will inspire and motivate readers to persevere through their most difficult challenges. "Dave really hits home with his journey of the ups and downs with his battle to get his life back to normal. It is a moving testimonial of just how much fight we all have within ourselves to overcome adversity." - Johnny Holliday, broadcaster for University of Maryland Terrapins and Mid-Atlantic Sports Network

http://www.amazon.co...taking a detour

John Keegan, a renowned British military historian, has called World War II the greatest single event in the history of mankind. - Tom Brokaw, NBC special correspondent and author of "The Greatest Generation"

#190 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:48 PM

Read a ton on my trip between the long flights, other travel, and lazing on the beach.

Finished the final 1/4 or so of Words of Radiance which I had been slowly reading since July (it's super long, ike 1100 pages, and I was only reading like 10-20 minutes at a time before bed).  Really enjoyed that, it's the 2nd in a planned series of fantasy novels by Brandon Sanderson, a friend of mine recommended the first one earlier this year.  I struggled to get into it at first, but was really into it by the end and this second one I dug from the first page.

Read The Man in the High Castle, after I had downloaded the Amazon TV series but before I watched it (which I also did on the trip, all on the flight home in fact).  This was a quick read, but I didn't really get into it.  It was tough to figure out what was going on at first, feels like one of those books that may be better on a 2nd read, maybe I'll give it another shot some time.  I enjoyed the show a lot more than the book (they were quite different, though).

Read Bridge of Spies, about the Cold War prisoner exchange in Berlin of a convicted Soviet spy for a downed American U2 pilot.  It was pretty dry but I found it interesting and exciting.  Would like to see the movie version that recently came out.  Spielberg and Hanks is always a fantastic combo (in a just world where The Terminal doesn't exist).

Read The Right Stuff, which starts off being about Chuck Yeager and test pilots and morphs into a story of the Mercury 7.  Loved this book, favorite of all the things I read on the trip (helped that I read much of it while lying in a hammock over the surf at high tide on Ko Kradan).  I haven't seen the movie, but as soon as I can find it on one of the free streaming services I'll definitely be checking it out.

And now I'm onto The Name of the Wind, which Ricker recommended.  I'm about 2/3 of the way through.  I think it's ok but I'm not overly enthralled with it.  Seems more like Harry Potter to me than ASOIAF or the Sanderson books. 

• You Play to Win the Game and Russ like this

#191 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

I just started GOT.  We shall see.

#192 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Have you watched the show or do you have zero idea what happens?

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#193 papasmurfbell

papasmurfbell

Rookie

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 560 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

I have never sat down to watch the show but have a rough idea of what happens.  

#194 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

Enjoy.

#195 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:57 AM

Got "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" for Christmas.  It's been a while since I've reread any of the ASOIAF books (not starting another reread until there's a release date for Winds) and since I didn't watch season 5 of the TV series I was worried if my enthusiasm for the world of Westeros had lessened. I'm about 1/3 through the book and happy to say that's not the case.  Sucked back into it right away!

• BobPhelan likes this

#196 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:57 PM

"Every Night's a Saturday Night" by Bobby Keys

If you don't know who Bobby Keys is/was, you should.  (Among many other things, he's the only guy ever to quit the Rolling Stones who they later let back in.)

If you wanna hear the story of a guy who was in the right place at the right time, again and again and again and again, here you go...

If you wanna read a rock'n'roll autobiography by a guy who's a hoot, this one will do the job...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#197 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

Just finished a book called America Afire: How the Civil War Created a Nation by David Goldfield. The actual wartime period is only a relatively-small piece of the book. Most of it involves the rise of evangelical Christianity in the mid-19th century and how that combined with immigration and racism and other social problems to create the dual societies that ended up splitting apart. It also follows the Reconstruction period into the late 1870s describing the changes to society resulting from the war and continuing from the antebellum period.

It was interesting reading, and seemed very relevant to certain aspects of modern society.

@DJ_McCann

#198 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 29 December 2015 - 08:33 PM

Got "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" for Christmas.  It's been a while since I've reread any of the ASOIAF books (not starting another reread until there's a release date for Winds) and since I didn't watch season 5 of the TV series I was worried if my enthusiasm for the world of Westeros had lessened. I'm about 1/3 through the book and happy to say that's not the case.  Sucked back into it right away!

I bought it with some Christmas money. Read the first novella today, it was great! Loved trying to rack my brain for connections without looking anything up. Can't wait to read the next two and read/listen to some analysis.

I really should try to read the rest of George's books. Tuf Voyaging was really good too.
  • DuffMan likes this

#199 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 December 2015 - 08:59 AM

I bought it with some Christmas money. Read the first novella today, it was great! Loved trying to rack my brain for connections without looking anything up. Can't wait to read the next two and read/listen to some analysis.

I really should try to read the rest of George's books. Tuf Voyaging was really good too.

The Targaryen family tree is pretty damn complex.   I really enjoyed "The Hedge Knight"  ,  "Sworn Sword" started off a little slower but really picked up steam.  I've got about 20 pages left on that one then  it's on to "The Myster Knight"

• BobPhelan likes this

#200 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

The Targaryen family tree is pretty damn complex.   I really enjoyed "The Hedge Knight"  ,  "Sworn Sword" started off a little slower but really picked up steam.  I've got about 20 pages left on that one then  it's on to "The Myster Knight"

Just finished 'The Sworn Sword'. I agree it took some time to get into it but it turned out to be pretty darn good. Still prefer 'The Hedge Knight' so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=