#461 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 March 2022 - 03:47 PM

I did his last kickstarter so I was able to get my hands on DawnShard  right away.  I also got some swag included as well, my Wit coin being my favorite item (although my wife hates that darn coin).   I really want some more swag, but I may wind up just getting the hard copy's of the 4 books.  I'm thinking that one of the cosmere books is going to be about Rock and what happen to him once he left Urithru.

• BobPhelan likes this

#462 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 March 2022 - 04:12 PM

Just read Dawnshard.  The hive mind creature was pretty cool.  I had just finished the third Wax & Wayne novel before reading it, I think reading those back-to-back leads to seeing a lot of personality similarities between Wayne and The Lopen.  I prefer Lopen, but both are fun.

• BobPhelan likes this

#463 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 March 2022 - 04:55 PM

Just read Dawnshard.  The hive mind creature was pretty cool.  I had just finished the third Wax & Wayne novel before reading it, I think reading those back-to-back leads to seeing a lot of personality similarities between Wayne and The Lopen.  I prefer Lopen, but both are fun.

I haven't read Wax & Wayne yet but it's on my to do list.  I really want to get to Warbreaker (backstory on the sword nightblood and Zahel).

Lopen is great,  I may have mentioned it already in this thread (or maybe somewhere else) but there's this line in Dawnshard I love where Lopen mentions his hand and he clarifies that it's his old hand, his bridge hand not his radiant hand.

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this

#464 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2022 - 09:04 PM

I wanted so badly to sign up for the level that gets you the monthly loot boxes but settled on the audiobook/ebook level. 

But all this news has me wanting to read his non-Cosmere stuff just to be a completionist.

#465 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:29 AM

Kickstarter for Sanderson comes to an end today.  Almost 40 million dollars!  Just got mine in, I only went with the 4 hardcover books (I love me a physical book).  Would have loved to get the swag but couldn't justify it.    I also haven't read the discussions or previews to any of the books, I think I'm going the surprise route.

If you are interested Brandon has put the prologue(obviously a rough draft to Stormlight 5 up on his website.  I won't mention who it's about. I read the first couple of sentences and I was very surprised about some info already.

I started reading Warbreaker.  Kids sports have really cut into my reading time.  I'm only about a 1/3rd done but it's been a pretty fun story so far.

• BobPhelan likes this

#466 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:37 AM

Kickstarter for Sanderson comes to an end today. Almost 40 million dollars! Just got mine in, I only went with the 4 hardcover books (I love me a physical book). Would have loved to get the swag but couldn't justify it. I also haven't read the discussions or previews to any of the books, I think I'm going the surprise route.

If you are interested Brandon has put the prologue(obviously a rough draft to Stormlight 5 up on his website. I won't mention who it's about. I read the first couple of sentences and I was very surprised about some info already.

I started reading Warbreaker. Kids sports have really cut into my reading time. I'm only about a 1/3rd done but it's been a pretty fun story so far.

Yeah I’m not reading any of the preview stuff. Not to avoid spoilers, I’ve read some about what the content is, but I just prefer to read it all at once. Stormlight 5 prologue sounds awesome.

Warbreaker is great. Will leave you wanting to re-read at least parts of SA.

I recently gifted my neighbor the first Mistborn trilogy. If he likes those I’m going to recommend Warbreaker and then SA.
  • DuffMan likes this

#467 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 March 2022 - 08:37 AM

Yeah I’m not reading any of the preview stuff. Not to avoid spoilers, I’ve read some about what the content is, but I just prefer to read it all at once. Stormlight 5 prologue sounds awesome.

Warbreaker is great. Will leave you wanting to re-read at least parts of SA.

I recently gifted my neighbor the first Mistborn trilogy. If he likes those I’m going to recommend Warbreaker and then SA.

I had started a reread of SA over the holidays.  I got through Way of Kings and Radiance.  Once I get through spring sports I will reread Oathbringer and Rhythm of War (only read Rhythm the one time so far so I am really  looking forward to that).    After that I'm thinking I will get the Wax and Wayne books.

• BobPhelan likes this

#468 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 April 2022 - 12:59 PM

Not sure if you guys listen to the X-Ray Vision Podcast hosted by Jason Concepcion or not, but at the end of every episode they have a section titled "Nerd Out"  it's where a listener of the show submits an approximately 3 minute audio clip recommending some sort of new content(books, tv, movies, comics).  So anyway this morning I submitted my email with an audio file recommending the books in the Cosmere.   I don't know if it will get picked or not but I already got an email back from the X-Ray team and who ever responded (Jason or someone on his pod) saying that they are currently reading Elantris!

• BobPhelan likes this

#469 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 April 2022 - 02:28 PM

Not sure if you guys listen to the X-Ray Vision Podcast hosted by Jason Concepcion or not, but at the end of every episode they have a section titled "Nerd Out" it's where a listener of the show submits an approximately 3 minute audio clip recommending some sort of new content(books, tv, movies, comics). So anyway this morning I submitted my email with an audio file recommending the books in the Cosmere. I don't know if it will get picked or not but I already got an email back from the X-Ray team and who ever responded (Jason or someone on his pod) saying that they are currently reading Elantris!

That’s so cool! Hope they pick it.
  • DuffMan likes this

#470 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:45 PM

That’s so cool! Hope they pick it.

THEY DID!

It's supposed to be on their next episode!
  • BobPhelan likes this

#471 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:50 PM

Have either of you guys (or anyone else who's into fantasy but somehow hasn't chimed in on our Cosmere talk) read Black Prism?  I'm a little halfway through it and I think its quite good.  There was a huge twist like 1/4 way into it that I didn't see coming at all and got one of the bigger reactions to a book I think I've ever had.  

• DuffMan likes this

#472 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 April 2022 - 06:21 AM

Have either of you guys (or anyone else who's into fantasy but somehow hasn't chimed in on our Cosmere talk) read Black Prism?  I'm a little halfway through it and I think its quite good.  There was a huge twist like 1/4 way into it that I didn't see coming at all and got one of the bigger reactions to a book I think I've ever had.  

I have not.  Apparently it's the 1st of a 5 book series titled Lightbringer.   I'm assuming there's no connection to the Fabled Sword of Azor Ahai

#473 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:24 PM

Have either of you guys (or anyone else who's into fantasy but somehow hasn't chimed in on our Cosmere talk) read Black Prism? I'm a little halfway through it and I think its quite good. There was a huge twist like 1/4 way into it that I didn't see coming at all and got one of the bigger reactions to a book I think I've ever had.

I haven’t but I will now, thanks!

#474 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:35 PM

I found it by googling "I like Brandon Sanderson what else should I read".  The goodreads reviews were pretty mixed, but I haven't found that I agree with most of the negative comments.  Though again, I'm only about 2/3 through (I woke up in the middle of the night and struggled to get back to sleep so made some progress last night!).  Biggest critique so far is that there is one fairly major character who has an utterly stupid name, though they do explain the name as being a fit within the character's culture/nation.  It annoys me every time I read it.

• BobPhelan likes this

#475 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 28 April 2022 - 12:12 PM

Just finished Black Prism, it ended great.  Excited to continue the series.

I like Stormlight and Ice & Fire more, but I'd put this above Mistborn so far, which is pretty complimentary because I really enjoyed Mistborn.

• BobPhelan likes this

#476 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 May 2022 - 06:57 AM

Just finished Black Prism, it ended great.  Excited to continue the series.

I like Stormlight and Ice & Fire more, but I'd put this above Mistborn so far, which is pretty complimentary because I really enjoyed Mistborn.

Are you saying you liked Black Prism more than the whole Mistborn trilogy or just the 1st book?

#477 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 02 May 2022 - 08:23 AM

Are you saying you liked Black Prism more than the whole Mistborn trilogy or just the 1st book?

Both, I guess.  I've only read the first Black Prism novel (and a few percent of book #2). 

#478 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:11 PM

Finally finished Warbreaker.  Would've liked to finished quicker and in less starts/stops but I'm glad to have read it.  Pretty fun read for Sanderson's first major book.  Loved getting to meet Wit for the first time.   

#479 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,592 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 May 2022 - 03:12 PM

Finally finished Warbreaker. Would've liked to finished quicker and in less starts/stops but I'm glad to have read it. Pretty fun read for Sanderson's first major book. Loved getting to meet Wit for the first time.

Plus 3 Stormlight characters!
  • DuffMan likes this

#480 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,743 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 May 2022 - 08:48 AM

Plus 3 Stormlight characters!

And realizing that Zahel awakened those clothes/sheets in his little match against Kaladin in Rhythm of War

• BobPhelan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=