#422 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:42 PM

What did you think of "The Hero of Ages?"

Oh I loved it. My favorite character ascending to prominence. Twist after twist, all making sense. Will we eventually see Harmony vs Odium?

The Bands of Mourning leave things in a very interesting spot. Book 4 this coming year?

#423 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 December 2021 - 12:48 PM

Oh I loved it. My favorite character ascending to prominence. Twist after twist, all making sense. Will we eventually see Harmony vs Odium?

The Bands of Mourning leave things in a very interesting spot. Book 4 this coming year?

I don't know if it's just me, but Sanderson has this ability  to have me constantly expecting events to happen a certain way only for them to shakeout in a different unexpected way.

#424 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2021 - 05:00 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but Sanderson has this ability to have me constantly expecting events to happen a certain way only for them to shakeout in a different unexpected way.

Absolutely. There was something in The Bands of Mourning that I thought was pretty obvious but most of the time I’m caught off guard.

#425 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:10 PM

I rank it 8 of the 9 books, but Leviathan Falls was a solid ending to The Expanse series.  It doesn't feel like there's much of a plot until maybe 70% of the way through the book, which is the problem.  I understand why, and the story was organically built to be what it was, but it wasn't anywhere near as exciting as most of the others.

I'm not sure when I'll get to a re-read of the series, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.  Nemesis Games is still the high point of the series.  I'm so glad the show watchers got to experience most of the glory of that book.

Dune is next for me.  It's overdue, and I'm going to try to take advantage of this reading kick I'm on.

• BobPhelan likes this

#426 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:20 PM

I rank it 8 of the 9 books, but Leviathan Falls was a solid ending to The Expanse series. It doesn't feel like there's much of a plot until maybe 70% of the way through the book, which is the problem. I understand why, and the story was organically built to be what it was, but it wasn't anywhere near as exciting as most of the others.

I'm not sure when I'll get to a re-read of the series, but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Nemesis Games is still the high point of the series. I'm so glad the show watchers got to experience most of the glory of that book.

Dune is next for me. It's overdue, and I'm going to try to take advantage of this reading kick I'm on.

I was thinking about adding The Expanse books to my queue. Read the books then watch the show. Worth it?

#427 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 12:02 AM

I was thinking about adding The Expanse books to my queue. Read the books then watch the show. Worth it?

Definitely.  Just note the villain in book 4 is particularly 1-dimensional, and the 'main' character on the show can't act.

• BobPhelan likes this

#428 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:20 PM

Elantris was better than expected for a first published work. Smaller story, not much action but solid characters and builds up steam for a good ending like most of his stuff.

Arcanum Unbounded next.
  • DuffMan likes this

#429 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,978 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 04:48 PM

Esquire's 100 best baseball books:

100 Best Baseball Books Ever Written - The Best Books About Baseball (esquire.com)

#430 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 11 December 2021 - 01:36 PM

So… Secret History. Safe to talk spoilers?

#431 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 December 2021 - 07:35 PM

After finishing Warbreaker today I am officially caught up on the Cosmere. Amazing stuff. Guess I’ll have to live off of podcasts and Reddit between books now. At least Sanderson writes like a demon. Maybe I'll dip my toes into his non-Cosmere books after venturing into other stuff.

#432 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:32 AM

After finishing Warbreaker today I am officially caught up on the Cosmere. Amazing stuff. Guess I’ll have to live off of podcasts and Reddit between books now. At least Sanderson writes like a demon. Maybe I'll dip my toes into his non-Cosmere books after venturing into other stuff.

Sanderson will be putting out his State of the Sanderson in the next week or so.  It's a very detailed breakdown of everything he accomplished this past year and a preview of everything he has on tap for next year (spoiler writing book 5 of Stormlight will be his main focus).   It's a detailed read that I've always enjoyed.  

• BobPhelan likes this

#433 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:27 AM

Good to know!

#434 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,085 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:59 AM

Is there any chance "Brandon Sanderson" is a made up persona and it's really a very deep team of writers creating all this content with some actor hired as their figurehead for public appearances?  Or like a sentient computer straight out of Moon is a Harsh Mistress that's able to represent itself as a real person publicly?

How the hell does he write so damn much and have any of it be good (yet alone more or all of it)?  He's like the Mozart of high fantasy.  

#435 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 December 2021 - 10:52 AM

Is there any chance "Brandon Sanderson" is a made up persona and it's really a very deep team of writers creating all this content with some actor hired as their figurehead for public appearances?  Or like a sentient computer straight out of Moon is a Harsh Mistress that's able to represent itself as a real person publicly?

How the hell does he write so damn much and have any of it be good (yet alone more or all of it)?  He's like the Mozart of high fantasy.  

I think his biggest strength is his organizational skills.  He always has a lot on his plate, but he has a plan for how and when he gets it done.  He also mentions variety being important to him.  Obviously Stormlight is his main series but he's mentioned how he enjoys alternating between a Stormlight book and something else, this keeps things fresh for him.  

#436 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 16 December 2021 - 11:51 AM

Gotta love his downtime being more writing just focused differently.

#437 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,085 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:41 PM

I'm sticking with self-aware robot.

Notice how none of "his" series contain a self-aware robot...would be too on the nose!

• BobPhelan likes this

#438 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,627 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:17 AM

The Name of the Wind - Every time it starts to build momentum it meanders it away. I’m guessing the story will start in earnest in book 2?

#439 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,085 posts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 12:00 PM

I'm not a fan.  I'll probably read the third one whenever it comes out, but haven't enjoyed the first two much.

• BobPhelan likes this

#440 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,762 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 December 2021 - 07:35 PM

https://www.brandons...sanderson-2021/

State of the Sanderson is out, alot of great info in there that you may like (including movie/TV/videogame).

I know a few of you guys aren't as big of a fan of the Stormlight Flashbacks, but he says who the book 5 Flashbacks are on and I think you will like it.
  • BobPhelan and Mackus like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=