646 replies to this topic

#441 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 December 2021 - 07:46 PM

Very excited to get the backstory on that character.

#442 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 21 December 2021 - 07:20 AM

Very excited to get the backstory on that character.

Yes that character has had quite the journey.  Starting out as the villain, becoming an uneasy ally, to becoming good.

I'm calling it now that this character swears the 5th ideal in the next book.  Something to keep in mind, if a Skybreaker swears the 5th ideal  they no longer have to follow the 3rd (the one where they follow a code or a person, potential conflict looming between these 2 characters?)

#443 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:08 AM

Yeah I could definitely see that.

#444 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 December 2021 - 12:42 PM

I'm not a fan. I'll probably read the third one whenever it comes out, but haven't enjoyed the first two much.

Yeah I’m tapping out 20 chapters into the second book. Not sure why it’s so acclaimed.

#445 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 December 2021 - 11:56 PM

Close to halfway through The Eye of the World, enjoying it. Interesting to notice the differences from the show. Enjoying the narration by the SA couple.

#446 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 January 2022 - 10:45 AM

Close to halfway through The Eye of the World, enjoying it. Interesting to notice the differences from the show. Enjoying the narration by the SA couple.

Have you made it to Caemlyn, there are 3 important characters that you will meet there.

#447 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 January 2022 - 12:04 PM

Have you made it to Caemlyn, there are 3 important characters that you will meet there.

I don’t believe so, everyone just escaped the ruined city. Seems like the part where they get split up before eventually meeting back up at the Aes Sedai city in the show.

#448 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,828 posts

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:13 PM

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy.  I liked it a lot.

Is the second set of books worth reading or should I pivot to something else?

• BobPhelan likes this

#449 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 January 2022 - 03:23 PM

Haven't read the 2nd trilogy yet heard it isn't as good. Bob recommended and I strongly suggest Mistborn: Secret History. It's a novella all about Kelsier
  • BobPhelan likes this

#450 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 January 2022 - 05:19 PM

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. I liked it a lot.

Is the second set of books worth reading or should I pivot to something else?

I don’t like it as much as the first trilogy but it’s still definitely worth reading and each book gets better than the last. It’s set 300 years after the first trilogy and is a different genre of sorts (a little Sherlock Holmes + the Wild West) but still ties in.

One reason to hold off 6 months or so is that the fourth and final book of the second era comes out November 2022 and is supposed to tie in with the Stormlight storyline sometime soon (I believe in era 3 after SA book 5).

So both of you guys should definitely read it but it's all about the timing. But yeah, definitely search out the Secret History short story!

#451 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:30 AM

Finished Edgedancer.  I'm not sure about others but I've always liked Lift so I enjoyed this story. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#452 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 January 2022 - 09:36 AM

Finished Edgedancer. I'm not sure about others but I've always liked Lift so I enjoyed this story.

Feel like she’s the Arya of the series.

Finished the first Wheel of Time book, enjoyed it. Very different from the show. I’d say show Morraine, Lan, and maybe Mat > book characters, everyone else the book version is better.

My next two credits from Audible aren’t for another week so gonna read some of the Murderbot books in the meantime.
  • DuffMan likes this

#453 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 February 2022 - 05:34 PM

I just started "Chaos; Charles Manson, the CIA and the Secret History of the Sixties". I'm 100 pages in and there's some wild stuff in there. Not sure if anyone is familiar with Vincent Bugliosi's book "Helter Skelter", which has been accepted as the definitive version of the Manson Family murders but this new book has found more depth to the story. Bugliosi, who was the DA that prosecuted Manson and the Family, mislead the jury and omitted important details from his book. I'm intrigued to see where this goes.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#454 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 28 February 2022 - 12:23 PM

In addition to his updates on his webpage and Fb page, Brandon Sanderson put outs out an update on youtube with what he's working on.  He made some tweeks to his schedule and has been working to finish Mistborn 7 before starting Stormlight 5 in earnest.  

Unfortunately in his update he put out today he says there is some sort of news coming tomorrow.  I'll post the short clip below.   Just looking and listening it doesn't sound good, I hope everything is okay.  He's one of the hardest working writers out there, I'm hoping it's just something as simple as he needs to take a little break.   He's certainly earned it.

#455 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:30 PM

Yeah very interested to hear what it is. Not worth speculating, in theory could be anything, but just hope everything is ok with him.

#456 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 March 2022 - 12:15 PM

Wow!  A little long, but worth listening to.   I won't comment anymore just yet.

• BobPhelan likes this

#457 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 March 2022 - 09:03 PM

Simply incredible lol
  • DuffMan likes this

#458 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,828 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 07:53 AM

Wow!  A little long, but worth listening to.   I won't comment anymore just yet.

Is there any chance "Brandon Sanderson" is a made up persona and it's really a very deep team of writers creating all this content with some actor hired as their figurehead for public appearances?  Or like a sentient computer straight out of Moon is a Harsh Mistress that's able to represent itself as a real person publicly?

How the hell does he write so damn much and have any of it be good (yet alone more or all of it)?  He's like the Mozart of high fantasy.  

At the beginning of his video I was thinking...I was right!

• DuffMan likes this

#459 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,828 posts

Posted 06 March 2022 - 01:05 PM

The kickstarter is up to $24M in a week.  Insane.

#460 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,593 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 March 2022 - 04:46 PM

Biggest Kickstarter ever. Maybe this will give him enough attention to get a premium series off the ground.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=