#481 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 23 May 2022 - 08:42 AM

Spring sports are winding down, so I started reading "Alloy of Law" (1st book in the Wax and Wayne series)over the weekend.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#482 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 25 May 2022 - 08:02 AM

Spring sports are winding down, so I started reading "Alloy of Law" (1st book in the Wax and Wayne series)over the weekend.

Almost done, this has been a quick fun one to read.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#483 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 May 2022 - 10:55 AM

Almost done, this has been a quick fun one to read.

Each one gets better too.
  • DuffMan likes this

#484 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,313 posts

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:26 PM

How does it compare to the original Mistborn trilogy?  I enjoyed the first two of those, but the 3rd was so weird.

#485 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 25 May 2022 - 09:45 PM

How does it compare to the original Mistborn trilogy? I enjoyed the first two of those, but the 3rd was so weird.

The third was by far my favorite haha but I’d say they’re much breezier but each one adds more gravitas.
  • DuffMan likes this

#486 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 May 2022 - 07:08 AM

Finished Alloy of Law last night, agree with Bob about it being breezy.  Felt like Mistborn as a western to me.  Definitely a more straightforward story but I thought it was a fun read and had a cool surprises at the end (Iron Eyes).  I'll be starting the next book soon as I am eager for more.

• BobPhelan likes this

#487 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 31 May 2022 - 07:54 AM

Already halfway through Shadow of Self, you can definitely feel the stakes being higher for this one.  (Not that I didn't enjoy the first one).

• BobPhelan likes this

#488 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 May 2022 - 04:13 PM

Already halfway through Shadow of Self, you can definitely feel the stakes being higher for this one. (Not that I didn't enjoy the first one).

For sure. That continues into the third book and hopefully the fourth this November!
  • DuffMan likes this

#489 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 01 June 2022 - 07:33 AM

For sure. That continues into the third book and hopefully the fourth this November!

Fourth is definitely coming this November.  He recently finished his revisions and turned it in.   I know it's a ways off, but I'm less optimistic that Stormlight 5 comes November 23 (to be fair in his yearly update he did say late '23 or early '24).  On his weekly update page  he's not returning to work  on it until July 1 and is only about 7% through it so far.  Now I wouldn't rule anything out, but that's a lot of words to write.   Just to be clear I'm not complaining as we are getting the 4th Wax this Fall and the 4 secret books next year so there is plenty of content on the way.

• BobPhelan likes this

#490 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 02 June 2022 - 05:15 PM

Already halfway through Shadow of Self, you can definitely feel the stakes being higher for this one.  (Not that I didn't enjoy the first one).

Just finished Shadow of Self!  O man, there's that nice Sanderson twist that he loves to work in to these stories.

#491 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 June 2022 - 07:49 AM

I know Wax is the main character, but damn Wayne is great!

• BobPhelan likes this

#492 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,424 posts

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:13 AM

Yeah Wayne is definitely the draw of those books.  He's very Lopen-esque.  I find Wax a bit boring as a lead.

#493 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 07 June 2022 - 08:27 AM

Yeah Wayne is definitely the draw of those books.  He's very Lopen-esque.  I find Wax a bit boring as a lead.

I think what makes Wayne even more appealing is that he isn't the lead.  Less is more

#494 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 13 June 2022 - 06:08 AM

Bands of Mourning was great!  Seemed to me like some big picture Cosmere stakes are coming into play.  Looking forward to book 4 this Fall

• BobPhelan likes this

#495 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 June 2022 - 10:15 AM

Bands of Mourning was great! Seemed to me like some big picture Cosmere stakes are coming into play. Looking forward to book 4 this Fall

Yeah I think he’s about to take it up a notch when it comes to the greater Cosmere.
  • DuffMan likes this

#496 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 June 2022 - 10:44 AM

Need something to listen to during work, here's a fun q&a with Brandon where he answers a bunch of questions about the cosmere.   Nothing too earth shattering but there are several interesting hints and teases about what is to come.   One of which is he has plans for two more series of books in the Mistborn world covering different eras of time.

• BobPhelan likes this

#497 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 08 July 2022 - 05:58 PM

Finished a reread of Oathbringer.  That's probably the most I've enjoyed that book (3rd time I've read it), I think part of the reason I liked it more was having finally read Warbreaker which helped me appreciate it more.

On a related note, Brandon did a Q&A on reddit yesterday. https://www.reddit.c...fantasy_author/

One tease was he says that there will be a 10 year jump between book 5 and 6 for SA.

One other interesting answer was a roundabout question of why is Martin (without actually naming him) taking so long to finish a book.  Here's the link to that specific question

https://www.reddit.c...web2x&context=3

Brandon also made a few hints/references to potential tv shows and movies!!

• BobPhelan likes this

#498 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 10 August 2022 - 10:26 AM

In a recent live stream Brandon mentioned that we should be getting some sort of announcement in the coming months on a live action version of Mistborn.

• BobPhelan likes this

#499 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 August 2022 - 11:10 AM

Very interested to see the details! Live action Cosmere would be amazing.

#500 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 August 2022 - 12:30 PM

Reading Fire and Blood to get ready for House of the Dragon. Going to finally read The World of Ice and Fire after that.
  • DuffMan likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=