You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

Per Dan Connolly:

‪#Orioles‬ are "going hard" after Zack Greinke, an industry source says. But do they have enough? http://bsun.md/PrBxkK

https://twitter.com/... ... 3340601344
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#2 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

No Bundy.

No Machado.

No Schoop.

I won't be too upset if they don't trade one of those three. I don't think the team is a legitimate contender even with Greinke.

I hope someone outbids them.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#3 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

I'd love to see it happen, but I can't imagine a scenario where it does.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:29 PM

If we are somehow able to keep Greinke here LT, I'm okay with this. If not, I'm not in favor of what we would have to give up for a 2 1/2 month rental.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

If we are somehow able to keep Greinke here LT, I'm okay with this. If not, I'm not in favor of what we would have to give up for a 2 1/2 month rental.

Amen brother. If there is an extension in there I could live with dealing some parts, if not just make a run at him in fa and use those parts to go after something else. No Bundy, No Manny, No Schoop.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

You aren't getting Greinke without giving up at least Schoop. Maybe you can make it happen with Matusz/Arrieta ,Schoop, Avery /Hoes.

Note......If he isn't willing to sign an extension forget about it . A 2 month rental for any player that would cost what Greinke will cost is stupid for us.

#7 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Schoop w/o extension is fine for me and I'd be willing to give up Matusz and one of Avery or Hoes as well. The Orioles are going to have to pay the price to stay in this thing, and keeping their young prospects guarantees them nothing in the future.

The stars have aligned now, and that may not be the case next year or the year after.

I could also see Greinke re-signing w/the Orioles, so it's not like he would only be a rental for sure.

If keeping prospects means missing the playoffs now with no certain future of ever having a shot at them again in the next 4 years, you trade the prospects every time.

It's time to make our best effort at ending this playoff drought.

#8 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:55 PM

Schoop w/o extension is fine for me and I'd be willing to give up Matusz and one of Avery or Hoes as well. The Orioles are going to have to pay the price to stay in this thing, and keeping their young prospects guarantees them nothing in the future.

The stars have aligned now, and that may not be the case next year or the year after.

I could also see Greinke re-signing w/the Orioles, so it's not like he would only be a rental for sure.

If keeping prospects means missing the playoffs now with no certain future of ever having a shot at them again in the next 4 years, you trade the prospects every time.

It's time to make our best effort at ending this playoff drought.

Thinking like that is what got us in this mess to begin with back in the 90s. Enjoy your video game front office approach though. ;)
  • Can_of_corn likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#9 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Thinking like that is what got us in this mess to begin with back in the 90s. Enjoy your video game front office approach though. ;)

The 90s Orioles didn't crash and burn because they traded prospects. It's because they had no succession plan and drafted poorly. That's not happening under Duquette. He's already made the statement he plans on replacing anybody he trades.

However, not doing anything and keeping said prospects led to the Orioles crashing and burning in the 2005 season when they were only a few games in back of the Yankees for the AL East lead before the AS Break.

It's been 7 years since we had that opportunity. How much longer are you willing to wait with no guarantee of anything beyond 2012?

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

However, not doing anything and keeping said prospects led to the Orioles crashing and burning in the 2005 season when they were only a few games in back of the Yankees for the AL East lead before the AS Break.

It is beyond delusional if you honestly think that's what caused the '05 team to crash and burn. It is difficult for me to fathom how you can possible think that to be the case.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:23 PM

Per Jerry Crasnick via the Twitter:

Brian Matusz is one possible chip in a deal. ‪#Orioles‬ are down on him. ‪#Brewers‬ need to decide if scenery change could help him.

https://twitter.com/...358833614848000

#12 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

It is beyond delusional if you honestly think that's what caused the '05 team to crash and burn. It is difficult for me to fathom how you can possible think that to be the case.

Trade rumors do have effects on clubs. The team played so well at the AS Break and rumors were flying about acquiring reinforcements yet each day nothing was done. There was no confidence shown in that squad so they pretty much lost their motivation to win IMO.

Add the Raffygate stuff that was swirling and it just made things that much worse. Had the team traded for Burnett and Lowell and made some other moves, who knows how things would have turned out even with the B-12 mess?

#13 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:45 PM

Trade rumors do have effects on clubs. The team played so well at the AS Break and rumors were flying about acquiring reinforcements yet each day nothing was done. There was no confidence shown in that squad so they pretty much lost their motivation to win IMO.

Add the Raffygate stuff that was swirling and it just made things that much worse. Had the team traded for Burnett and Lowell and made some other moves, who knows how things would have turned out even with the B-12 mess?

Please provide some actual proof of the above.

I find it hard to fathom that Roberts went up to the plate in 2005 moping about the O's not trading for help and dejectedly taking a strike three because he was too depressed to swing.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#14 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Out of curiosity, what would all of you seriously offer the Brewers for Greinke if there were a window to get an extension done?

Greinke wants a fair market deal, which would be between $18 and $20 million per year, IMO.

If I were the GM I would offer a package consisting of Matusz or Arrieta along with L.J. Hoes, Mahoney and a PTBNL if we were given a 24 hour window to negotiate a long-term deal with Greinke.

I'd then offer Greinke two options - a 4/$76mm deal or a 6/$108mm deal.

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

Please provide some actual proof of the above.

I find it hard to fathom that Roberts went up to the plate in 2005 moping about the O's not trading for help and dejectedly taking a strike three because he was too depressed to swing.

And decided to break his own arm as result, and while he was at it get Palmeiro banned for steroids.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'd be willing to do Matusz, Avery/Hoes, Bridwell with an extension window. I don't want to give up Bundy, Machado, or Schoop but Schoop may have to go if you want to get something done.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'd be willing to do Matusz, Avery/Hoes, Bridwell with an extension window. I don't want to give up Bundy, Machado, or Schoop but Schoop may have to go if you want to get something done.

Was KINDA thinking this, I'm just not willing to go Schoop. Not that he's untouchable for me, but we have other holes to fill, and I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, especially when I don't think we have a realistic shot at competing this year. I would save my ammo and use it after we sign a player or two in the offseason, although since I think we need more than one SP, Grienke is the closest thing to me signing off on a guy.
@JeremyMStrain

#18 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

Was KINDA thinking this, I'm just not willing to go Schoop. Not that he's untouchable for me, but we have other holes to fill, and I'm not putting all my eggs in one basket, especially when I don't think we have a realistic shot at competing this year. I would save my ammo and use it after we sign a player or two in the offseason, although since I think we need more than one SP, Grienke is the closest thing to me signing off on a guy.

That was my thinking as well on Schoop - he could possibly be someone who plays second base fairly well for us in the near future and we have a glaring hole there not just now, but also after next season when B-Rob's contract is up.

Also - I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Greinke deal unless he would agree to an extension anyway. Acquiring a really good SP like him is fine and all, but it does nothing for us over the next four to six years if he's only with us for a shallow playoff run on a team with as many holes that we have.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

That was my thinking as well on Schoop - he could possibly be someone who plays second base fairly well for us in the near future and we have a glaring hole there not just now, but also after next season when B-Rob's contract is up.

Also - I wouldn't pull the trigger on a Greinke deal unless he would agree to an extension anyway. Acquiring a really good SP like him is fine and all, but it does nothing for us over the next four to six years if he's only with us for a shallow playoff run on a team with as many holes that we have.

People thinking this is going to take a fortune are going to be really surprised. Since the compensation has changed, returns for pending FA are going to be much less. Matusz + a couple mid level guys should get it done.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 JTrea81

JTrea81

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

People thinking this is going to take a fortune are going to be really surprised. Since the compensation has changed, returns for pending FA are going to be much less. Matusz + a couple mid level guys should get it done.

I think you'll see the Braves or Orioles part with somebody that people wouldn't want to give up.

Remember it took Lino+ to get Thome.

The Greinke market will be diluted some but there are a bunch of mid-market competitive teams that could raise the price.

Greinke on the market will certainly hurt the Cubs with Garza and Dempster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=