373 replies to this topic

#121 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

Lol. There will never be a conversation with you that anyone is in over there head.

Maybe you can tell us more about how Kim isn't a MLer and is in over his head? Lol.

I'm more than happy to have a conversation with you...when you stop being a f'ing 'jerk'. If you choose not to(which I'm sure you won't since that's the type of person you are and always have been), I won't go back and forth with you and you can sit there and pat yourself on the back because you think I'm running from your mediocre opinions.

I apologized to you earlier for misrepresenting what you said and I have said you have made some good points. In return, you act like this. So f it, I'm done until you aren't a 'jerk.'

When it's possessive it's their head not there head.   I would say that you are as dumb as a rock but then I'd have to apologize to every rock everywhere.  I am wrong a lot, just like everyone else is.  I can admit it.  You get pissed off when someone mentions something you were wrong about or you'll give us, "How could anyone have known that" kind of responses.

You can call me all of the names you want.  Especially funny coming from you.   Again, the funny thing is that you took offense to the phrase (people like you) and started with the cursing and the attitude right from there.  You can dish it out but you can't take it.  You have to be one of the biggest internet wusses of all time.  Not enough time for that.

BTW, I will still talk to you even though you're a 'jerk.'

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#122 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Feel free to continue arguing over nothing.  No reason this needs to be as personal as the last few posts have been.

#123 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

Feel free to continue arguing over nothing.  No reason this needs to be as personal as the last few posts have been.

Geez, Chris!   You edited my best material.    It's not even funny now.     :-P

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#124 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 June 2016 - 10:59 PM

The Orioles are in a no win situation with Dude.   When the Orioles don't draft a consensus BA or MLB prospect at a certain spot, he condemns them for missing out on a talent.

When the Orioles draft someone way ahead of BA or MLB's list and and the Orioles turn out to look right (Sisco/Mountcastle)  they aren't smarter than BA or MLB.    They simply could have gotten those players a round or two later and gotten the BA and MLB guys other higher rated players on Rajsich's list in the round they took those guys.

You read my posts very selectively to support whatever view you want to have of me.  Not my problem.  

I corrected the second part of your statement above.  I think it's funny how you think that's crazy.  Like I said, I'm not a BPA guy....I think it limits SOME of the potential in the draft.  The more guys you can get a the top of your list, the better.

When did BA and other similar sites become the bad guys?  You act like they have some unfounded random internet opinion.  I certainly use those professional opinions to inform my own.  Not claiming it's anything other than that.  I guess you are suggesting they have no merit...because I'm using them? 

Also, I'm not sure why, but you seem to be claiming some type of victory based on the performances of Sisco nad Mountcastle.  As I've said many times, nothing against the players....i didn't scout them....but they hardly represent some great coup at this point.

#125 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:18 PM

You read my posts very selectively to support whatever view you want to have of me. Not my problem.

I corrected the second part of your statement above. I think it's funny how you think that's crazy. Like I said, I'm not a BPA guy....I think it limits SOME of the potential in the draft. The more guys you can get a the top of your list, the better.

When did BA and other similar sites become the bad guys? You act like they have some unfounded random internet opinion. I certainly use those professional opinions to inform my own. Not claiming it's anything other than that. I guess you are suggesting they have no merit...because I'm using them?

Also, I'm not sure why, but you seem to be claiming some type of victory based on the performances of Sisco nad Mountcastle. As I've said many times, nothing against the players....i didn't scout them....but they hardly represent some great coup at this point.

Talk about misrepresenting? I never said that Sisco and Mountcastle were great coups. I said they appear to be good picks and also players that the Orioles rated higher than Baseball America. That's all. I never said that Baseball America ans sites like it were the "bad guys". I just said that it isn't necesarily the be all end all of prospect rankings. It's obvious that the 30 ML teams do not go by what Baseball America and other publications rate the players. Where and when did I claim victory? A lot of people are putting words in my mouth that never came out of my mouth.

I stand by what I said. Not sure you really addressed that. The Orioles liked Akin at #54. You apparently think they could have gotten Nolan Jones at #54 and Akin at #69. There's a good chance Akin would have been gone at #69 and it looks like he was the player the Orioles wanted more.

I wish you guys would just address the points I made instead of making up your own and then arguing against it like it was something I said.

I've said this about guys like Sisco and Mountcastle....no issues with the talent.  I just question whether you have to draft him HERE.

Aikn isn't going to be around at #69?

See, I actually talk about things you actually said.   You are saying the Orioles could have gotten the above names and gotten more guys ahead of them also on their lists.   You assume to know the draft boards of the Orioles and the other 29 teams.    All you know is the Baseball America and MLB.com draft boards.   They're great for what they are.   They just don't represent the last word on the rankings.

Akin was only going to be around at #69 if you go by the public lists.   If you listen to Rajsich and some others, they were surprised he lasted until #54.   

#126 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:08 AM

I think Rajsich is going to defend his draft (and he should).  I went back and looked at selections on BA top 100 and I'll start a different thread on it.  Seems like maybe teams were trying to leverage some things....we'll check this against slots as guys are signed...

Jones was generally a top25 and was available at 54 (there were other guys falling too)....Akin was generally between 80-120 and a bunch of guys were getting overdrafted.  We'll never know if Akin would make it to #69 or not, but we know Jones was taken with the next pick.  We'll see what happens with him and the Indians....it may provide some insight into things others have suggested (demands, whatever).

Hopefully Akin is awesome and ultimately it won't matter other than he helps win some ballgames.

If you haven't paid attention to my other comments, I don't disagree with much of your assessments (overall) on the Rajsich drafts.  I'm not generally banging on him for the guys they pick.  I like this draft better than the others.

I'm going to comment on the Hart thing, but will pull up another post.

#127 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,748 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 June 2016 - 12:23 AM

Josh Hart was a consensus 1st round talent taken in the supplemental round.    Rated highly by BA and MLB as a BASEBALL PLAYER with tools.

Nowhere in the BA description of Hart does it describe him as a raw player with tools.  He was a baseball player first.

I didn't like the Hart pick at all.  I think the Orioles have typically drafted the wrong tools (rd2-5) and it's reflected in the type of system they build.

Top 5 picks I want guys with power potential and arms that project as starters.  I hate drafting speed/average upside early in the draft.  There's probably guys you could talk me into, but if I hit on a guy, I want to get more out of that.  fwiw, I don't like the Moniak pick at 1/1 at all.  I get they'll probably get a deal on him and try to leverage dollars, but just not the guy I'd pick there, I think I heard an Elsbury comp there....not where I'd go.

Everyone in the Orioles system seems like a bullpen arm.  I'm a big fan of having them but I think it's easier to find these types later in the draft (the Orioles have found them) and take the bigger profiles early.  Again, my opinion.

fwiw, I don't blame the condition of the Orioles system on Rajsich.  I don't think he's helping as much as I'd like, but the Orioles system challenges are on the shoulders of DD.

#128 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:45 AM

I didn't like the Hart pick at all. I think the Orioles have typically drafted the wrong tools (rd2-5) and it's reflected in the type of system they build.

Top 5 picks I want guys with power potential and arms that project as starters. I hate drafting speed/average upside early in the draft. There's probably guys you could talk me into, but if I hit on a guy, I want to get more out of that. fwiw, I don't like the Moniak pick at 1/1 at all. I get they'll probably get a deal on him and try to leverage dollars, but just not the guy I'd pick there, I think I heard an Elsbury comp there....not where I'd go.

Everyone in the Orioles system seems like a bullpen arm. I'm a big fan of having them but I think it's easier to find these types later in the draft (the Orioles have found them) and take the bigger profiles early. Again, my opinion.

fwiw, I don't blame the condition of the Orioles system on Rajsich. I don't think he's helping as much as I'd like, but the Orioles system challenges are on the shoulders of DD.

Rajisch has been ok. He has brought in some decent talent. But at the end of the day, the system is terrible. No one wants the Os players and the Orioles and the rest of the league continue to talk about how they can't make moves because they don't have the depth.

Not all of that is Rajisch's fault of course but he has drafted many players into this system. And since he took over, the system hasn't gotten better compared to the rest of MLB. He absolutely deserves some blame there.

And, IMO, he doesn't deserve some kind of benefit of the doubt either. I stand by what I said. I don't believe the Orioles think Akin is a better talent with higher upside than Jones. I believe they wanted and targeted the pitcher more and Akin was the best pitcher on their board(at least in terms of one they felt would sign...they could have had a tough to sign pitcher higher?) when it came time to draft.

I think if you go in saying we must add this position early on, which is essentially what the Os said, that you can miss other players and/or you make what you want seem better than it is. It's human nature to do that.

This doesn't mean Akin was a bad pick or that he isn't worthy of this pick. Apparently some thought he could sneak into the late first. He obviously has the talent to warrant being drafted where he was. That's not the issue here. The issue, for me at least, is that I think they passed on an even better talent for the sake of adding a college arm and I don't think this organization should be passing on better talent.

#129 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2016 - 05:52 AM

I went back and read some stuff on Hart. I was misremembering the evaluations on him. He wasn't an athlete first guy. However, he was thought to have a decent eye and a good bat in terms of BA. Not much power. Speed/defense guy. Prototypical lead off hitter. You can see why the Os took him and it's not Rajisch's fault this organization couldn't develop him.

#130 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:15 AM

Again, you infer that someone is giving Rasjich the benefit of the doubt.    Where did that happen?     No matter who the scouting director is/was you wouldn't be able to evaluate a draft, especially the last two for a few years.

Let's look at Nolan Jones one more time.   He was ranked 19 and 20 by the two websites we've talked about.   He dropped to #55.   There are probably two reasons for that.   Either, all 30 ML teams had him ranked much lower or he's considered a very tough sign.   We'll see which one it is.    

1. If the Orioles had picked him and not signed him, all hell would break loose for the Orioles not knowing signability when they drafted him.

2. If he signs for slot, then you know that he simply wasn't rated that high by the ML teams.

#131 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 13 June 2016 - 07:28 AM

When it's possessive it's their head not there head.   I would say that you are as dumb as a rock but then I'd have to apologize to every rock everywhere.  I am wrong a lot, just like everyone else is.  I can admit it.  You get pissed off when someone mentions something you were wrong about or you'll give us, "How could anyone have known that" kind of responses.

You can call me all of the names you want.  Especially funny coming from you.   Again, the funny thing is that you took offense to the phrase (people like you) and started with the cursing and the attitude right from there.  You can dish it out but you can't take it.  You have to be one of the biggest internet wusses of all time. 

BTW, I will still talk to you even though you're a 'jerk.'

Mic drop

#132 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2016 - 10:03 AM

Again, you infer that someone is giving Rasjich the benefit of the doubt. Where did that happen? No matter who the scouting director is/was you wouldn't be able to evaluate a draft, especially the last two for a few years.

Let's look at Nolan Jones one more time. He was ranked 19 and 20 by the two websites we've talked about. He dropped to #55. There are probably two reasons for that. Either, all 30 ML teams had him ranked much lower or he's considered a very tough sign. We'll see which one it is.

1. If the Orioles had picked him and not signed him, all hell would break loose for the Orioles not knowing signability when they drafted him.

2. If he signs for slot, then you know that he simply wasn't rated that high by the ML teams.

If the Orioles had drafted him and failed to sign him, they rightfully would be blamed for not doing their homework and not knowing what it would take.

The caveat there is that he could lie to them or something like that.

As for giving him the benefit of the doubt...I feel that is what you and others (especially McNulty and Ricker) are doing.

You jumped in and said that you feel he has done a good job and named the reasons why...and while i think your point has merit, I still look at the total picture and that picture says our system still sucks..some of that isn't on Rajisch but some of it is.

So, since the whole discussion is based on their process and me saying I disagree with how they went about these 3 picks based on what they said, that really boils down, in many ways, to giving them the benefit of the doubt or not.

#133 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Aberdeen: 5 games, 14 innings, 10 hits, 3 er, 0 hr's, 5 bb's, 12 k's

#134 JordanKough

JordanKough

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

Nice to see him and Sedlock settling right in this year. Really good to see. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#135 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:14 AM

MASN: Second-round pick Keegan Akin pitching well for Aberdeen (plus O’s notes)
http://www.masnsport...s-os-notes.html

#136 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

BSL: Baltimore Orioles: Organization Review

http://baltimorespor...ization-review/

BSL: The O’s next two selections were also college arms in Keegan Akin, and Matthias Dietz (JUCO). Out of Akin and Dietz, which arm are you more excited about as you project forward?

Callis: I like both Akin and Dietz, so it’s tough to pick between the two. If I’m forced to, I’ll go with Dietz because he has a better body and I think his slider will be better in the long run, but Akin is a lefty who can reach 96 mph and really pitch too.

Faleris:  With regards to Akin/Dietz, I really liked Dietz as a high-upside JUCO target and Akin is a non-traditional starter build with the stuff to stick in a rotation. Dietz has the higher upside for me and more potential to really take off if things come together for him. Big lefty who works off tough angles and can have two legit swing-and-miss offerings in his fastball and breaking ball. Akin is more polished and I imagine will put up better comparative numbers early on, but will be challenged by more advanced hitters who can take advantage of his lack of plane. For me, Dietz is a potential number 3 with a solid pen future as a back-up, while Akin is more of a back-end guy with a potential to move quickly through the system.

Spedden: Out of Dietz and Akin, Akin intrigues me a bit more to this point. He was a little more polished coming out of the draft, which I think showed in both pitcher’s performances in Aberdeen. There’s definitely upside with Dietz, but the Orioles should–and probably will–take a little more time with him.

#137 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

MASN: Prospect profile: Keegan Akin made a strong pro debut
http://www.masnsport...-pro-debut.html

#138 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,249 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

2017 Frederick... 1st start: 0.2 ip, 4 hits, 6 er, 2 hr's, 3 bb's, 2 k's

Rough first outing, might color his era for awhile.

#139 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

ugh

#140 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

10 hits and 3 runs in his second start.  Not so good until you see the zero walks and 10 K's.   Progress.   He's going to be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=