#61 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

I like seeing who we are adding to the organization. It seems bizarre to me to show up two days a year and bitch if whoever baseball america has ranked highest isn't our pick.

• You Play to Win the Game, Pedro Cerrano, Mike B and 3 others like this

#62 ZachSpedden

ZachSpedden

HOF

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:17 PM

Like the Austin Hays pick. Baseball America ranked him 47th in its Top 100, and said that he has the tools to "become a prototypical right fielder." I don't feel that the Orioles have a prospect in the system who is likely to play right field in the big leagues. Other reports I found backed up BA's observation when it came to his defense, particularly his arm. 

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#63 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:36 PM

So it just so happens that two of the three pitchers played on a summer team managed by a part-time Orioles scout?

Somehow that doesn't sound like an organization that's thoroughly investigating amateur talent.

#64 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

3-91. Austin Hays Jacksonville U RF

4-121 Brenan Hanifee Turner Ashby HS RHP

5-151 Alexis Torres Colegio Angel Davis HS SS (Puerto Rico)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#65 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:44 PM

I'd be concerned if it sounded like these guys were reaches where we drafted them..... all three of these college arms sound like they have very good potential. 

#66 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 02:46 PM

So it just so happens that two of the three pitchers played on a summer team managed by a part-time Orioles scout?

Somehow that doesn't sound like an organization that's thoroughly investigating amateur talent.

Not necessarily fair

#67 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:36 PM

O's just took Rafael Palmiero's kid from NC State in the 7th.

#68 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:42 PM

O's just took Rafael Palmiero's kid from NC State in the 7th.

He better have been BPA!
  • Icterus galbula likes this

#69 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:48 PM

He better have been BPA!

He's not a guy.

#70 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 03:49 PM

BPA is an overrated concept.

How so? You think drafting worse than your scouts say is a good thing?

#71 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

The MLB draft is such a crapshoot can any one of us really pretend to act like we know who the BPA? Obviously there are some clear exceptions - like Hobgood in 09 - but when you get to late first round and on I'm not sure it's all that clear. 

• Markus likes this

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

That obviously isn't what happening. You're taking a tweet or a snippet about a contradictory ranking and asserting the O's are reaching for fit. After the elite talent is gone, so long as you're getting talent in the same tier you go for fit all day.

#73 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:29 PM

That obviously isn't what happening. You're taking a tweet or a snippet about a contradictory ranking and asserting the O's are reaching for fit. After the elite talent is gone, so long as you're getting talent in the same tier you go for fit all day.

Nope - I'm going to complain whether I know anything about the player drafted or not. They simply weren't the best possible players we could have drafted. 

#74 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:44 PM

best playerz available

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#75 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:24 PM

Nope - I'm going to complain whether I know anything [...]  or not.

:-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#76 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:40 PM

Gallardoz
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#77 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:02 PM

The tweet makes it obvious that they wanted and targeted college pitching. That's fine if those were the best players you had on your board. If they had Nolan Jones, for example, way higher on their board than Akin was than they made the wrong pick.

Btw...I'm not saying anything bad about the guys they took. They all seem like solid prospects. But I have an issue with pigeon holing yourself into thinking one way and it's pretty obvious they did just that.

#78 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

I like the Hays pick.

#79 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,683 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

He better have been BPA!

...of course it's pretty common for teams, including the Orioles, to draft non-prospects with some of their 6-10 round picks.  It's a specific strategy to create pool dollars to do other things they may want to do.

Last year, gray Fenter was available in those rounds as a higher rated kid that fell, but they saved some dollars across the pool to give him 1M.

They could be looking at the Hays pick (like it) and adjusting selections to find the money.  No issues with that.

#80 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:50 PM

The tweet makes it obvious that they wanted and targeted college pitching. That's fine if those were the best players you had on your board. If they had Nolan Jones, for example, way higher on their board than Akin was than they made the wrong pick.

Btw...I'm not saying anything bad about the guys they took. They all seem like solid prospects. But I have an issue with pigeon holing yourself into thinking one way and it's pretty obvious they did just that.

I agree with this. The entire buildup to the draft (interviews with Melwski, Connolly, etc) Rajsich was talking about how you draft BPA. So on and so forth.

To come out directly after the first day of the draft and state that they were targeting college pitching...makes it seem like they weren't interested in TRULY the BPA, but rather the best available college pitcher.

But it's not like I know any of these guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=