#81 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

Like the Austin Hays pick. Baseball America ranked him 47th in its Top 100, and said that he has the tools to "become a prototypical right fielder." I don't feel that the Orioles have a prospect in the system who is likely to play right field in the big leagues. Other reports I found backed up BA's observation when it came to his defense, particularly his arm. 

I like the Hays pick.

I beat them up for picks in these rounds all of the time, but here's a case where i think they made a great pick.  Good tools package in a draft where you don't have a lot of college guys like this and you get a shot at maybe a top50 kid with the 91st pick.

#82 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:02 PM

I agree with this. The entire buildup to the draft (interviews with Melwski, Connolly, etc) Rajsich was talking about how you draft BPA. So on and so forth.

To come out directly after the first day of the draft and state that they were targeting college pitching...makes it seem like they weren't interested in TRULY the BPA, but rather the best available college pitcher.

But it's not like I know any of these guys.

Whether we know anything about them is irrelevant. I'm not bashing the players. I like what I have read about them.

My issue is with the process. It's very obvious they drafted based off of what they view as need rather than best talent.

I will say this though...the third round pick excites me. But I would have liked to have gotten Nolan Jones instead of one of the 2 pitchers we got after Sedlock.
  • Coker likes this

#83 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:27 PM

I agree with this. The entire buildup to the draft (interviews with Melwski, Connolly, etc) Rajsich was talking about how you draft BPA. So on and so forth.

To come out directly after the first day of the draft and state that they were targeting college pitching...makes it seem like they weren't interested in TRULY the BPA, but rather the best available college pitcher.

But it's not like I know any of these guys.

Whether we know anything about them is irrelevant. I'm not bashing the players. I like what I have read about them.

My issue is with the process. It's very obvious they drafted based off of what they view as need rather than best talent.

I will say this though...the third round pick excites me. But I would have liked to have gotten Nolan Jones instead of one of the 2 pitchers we got after Sedlock.

In case it wasn't clear...I was agreeing with you

#84 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:59 PM

The kids that the Orioles drafted seem interesting.  They obviously like them.

....but how much better does this draft look if....

#14 Matt Thaiss ©

#27 Sedlock (RHP)

#54 Nolan Jones (3B)

#69 Aiken (LHP)

#74 Dietz (RHP)

#91 Hays (OF)

#121 Krook (LHP)

The consequence of signing Gallardo is you don't get Thaiss and Jones....because if you don't spend on Gallardo....do you get your Matusz dump back?  I just threw Thaiss (from UVA) in there...lots of guys you could take, including a guy you like that saves you some $$.

Krook is another guy that was a higher guy with some past projection that was available at #121 (taken at 125 by the Giants)....

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 10 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

In case it wasn't clear...I was agreeing with you

You were.

But some people will run with this saying we think we know these guys, blah blah blah. I want to be clear before the crying starts.

It's not the players...it's the process.

#86 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,295 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 10 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

People take way too much from what front office types tell the media. I wouldn't conclude that they were going against BPA for starting pitching based on some quotes to support what they did after the fact. Maybe they went against what they said before regarding BPA before, maybe not, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of either quote.
  • Icterus galbula likes this

#87 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 10:33 PM

People take way too much from what front office types tell the media. I wouldn't conclude that they were going against BPA for starting pitching based on some quotes to support what they did after the fact. Maybe they went against what they said before regarding BPA before, maybe not, but I'm not going to make a big deal out of either quote.

Well, that's just because you're being reasonable...

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#88 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 10 June 2016 - 11:17 PM

I think if there was no doubt that if they liked a position player significantly better than a pitcher they would have taken a position player.   All things being fairly even, they went with the highest college pitcher on their board.   That's my take.     Going into the draft, my basic premise was to take college pitchers or HS position players at the top of the draft.   One out two ain't bad and Hays sounds like an intriguing college position player in the 3rd round.    Really, just the SS for PR in the top 10 rounds as far as HS position players after going heavy that way last year.   As usual, we'll see.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

O's just took Rafael Palmiero's kid from NC State in the 7th.

Hits for average with questions about his power.

I wonder if he knows anyone with experience overcoming that flaw?

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game and Icterus galbula like this
@DJ_McCann

#90 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

I like what the O's did at the top of the draft. Not going to pretend I know anything about them, but the more darts you throw at pitchers, the more likely one or two stick.

Should there be any problems signing the guys they selected? Anyone of the college guys advanced enough to start at Fredrick or Bowie? Kind of disappointing to see Stewart last year have to start in Aberdeen. I get it when high schoolers start there or lower, but college guys should be past playing with 18 and 19 year olds.
@BSLMikeRandall

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:55 AM

I like what the O's did at the top of the draft. Not going to pretend I know anything about them, but the more darts you throw at pitchers, the more likely one or two stick.

Should there be any problems signing the guys they selected? Anyone of the college guys advanced enough to start at Fredrick or Bowie? Kind of disappointing to see Stewart last year have to start in Aberdeen. I get it when high schoolers start there or lower, but college guys should be past playing with 18 and 19 year olds.

Most guys drafted (even college) signed same year will go to Aberdeen for their first taste of pro ball. No disappointment there. The disappointment with Stewart was him having to begin '16 at Delmarva (and then struggling against competition he shouldn't be struggling against).

Will be no issues with getting these top 3 guys signed. Aiken and Dietz probably start at Delmarva next year, and hopefully end '17 at Frederick... I'd like to see Sedlock begin at Frederick, and end '17 having got some time at Bowie. That would be ideal. 

• DJ MC and Mike in STL like this

#92 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:57 AM

Will be no issues with getting these top 3 guys signed.

....because you've talked to somebody?....because Hughes was a big overdraft last year and they didn't sign him.  The Orioles routinely overdraft the industry position but they rarely seem to get much value in terms of money.

The way the Orioles draft, I'd expect them to have deals locked up across the board....but it doesn't seem to happen that way.

#93 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

O's just took Rafael Palmiero's kid from NC State in the 7th.

He's not a guy.

So he's really a girl? :)

BA had him at #292, Orioles take at #211 (just perspective, no judgement there....he was a top300 kid)

Maybe interesting, maybe not, but there were only 5 players listed by BA as 1B taken in the top 10 rounds.  The only other college 1B taken was Peter Alonzo, Florida, BA139 taken by the Mets at #64.

#94 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:13 AM

One other draft comment.  Play a little defense today and don't let Drew Mendoza fall to a team with that could work the board....especially someone like the RedSox or Yankees. 

Orioles have had some reasonable success at #11 (Means/2014, Brault/2013), but don't let impact talent fall where they can influence you.  Get them off the board, let them go back to school.

#95 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,714 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

....because you've talked to somebody?....because Hughes was a big overdraft last year and they didn't sign him.  The Orioles routinely overdraft the industry position but they rarely seem to get much value in terms of money.

The way the Orioles draft, I'd expect them to have deals locked up across the board....but it doesn't seem to happen that way.

No, haven't talked to anyone. Maybe just inaccurate supposition from me.  3 college kids (albeit one JUCO)...  some preexisting relationships... players drafted where anticipated...  basic money known from both sides.   Not HS kids like Hughes.

• Icterus galbula likes this

#96 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

One other draft comment.  Play a little defense today and don't let Drew Mendoza fall to a team with that could work the board....especially someone like the RedSox or Yankees. 

Orioles have had some reasonable success at #11 (Means/2014, Brault/2013), but don't let impact talent fall where they can influence you.  Get them off the board, let them go back to school.

He's going to FSU.

#97 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,592 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

He's going to FSU.

I understand that and the Pirates signed Josh Bell.  ....so you never know what changes (and yes, I understand the rule changes between Bell and today).  Make sure he's there through his Jr season and don't let one of the big hitters in your Division make a play.  There's always ways around things.

I understand it's a pure defensive move (wasted draft pick if you will) and everyone thinks/knows he's going to college.

#98 FFH

FFH

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 11:15 AM

Haven't seen enough of the amateur talent to be able to make any real assessments on these guys.  However, I have to say that there seems to be some good talent with this group, it's just a matter of how the O's develop it. 

This farm system is so barren right now, however, that this strategy may have been necessary.  You just have to hope that player development can manage to maximize the talent from these guys.  

Just like Rob, the 3rd rd pick really interests me. 

#99 ReggieYinger

ReggieYinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

http://baltimorespor...ted-whats-next/ - Discussing the process after you sign a contract and the overall draft for 2016.

• BSLChrisStoner, Cisc-O's, Markus and 1 other like this

#100 Moose Milligan

Moose Milligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 15 June 2016 - 11:06 AM

I'd draft nothing but pitchers.  Like, every round, for three years.  So many pitchers that those guys are playing position spots on their days off cause I haven't drafted any position players.  Starters, relievers, everyone.  

Gotta figure someone would turn out pretty good.  Though with the way the Orioles do things, probably not.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=