#41 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:33 AM

Good. Shitty beer and it's not even brewed here.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#42 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:37 AM

Well at the very least I'm going to make it a habit to drink more real local beers at the game this year. 

However, this sucks. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,546 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

Coors Light

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:45 AM

Coors Light

85915-Wendell-Pierce-gif-lWN2.gif

• mweb08 and DJ MC like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#45 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:09 PM

Coors Light

I can't take your comment about Boh being a shitty beer  seriously when you follow it up with post saying how great Coors Light is.

Having said that, the beer isn't anything great but as far as a  main stream beer goes I don't think it's bad.  Looked it up and it's been 2 decades since it's been brewed in Baltimore, and now it's owned by the Russians. This Baltimore brew lost it's "local" card years ago.  Some will bemoan it's lost, but it doesn't bother me.  I was more bummed when they got rid of the stand on Eutaw street that had Guiness, Harp and Smithwicks.

Honestly the beer scene at the yard is pretty crappy.  Most games I'm there with one of my kids so I can't walk halfway around the stadium to the 3rd base pub just to get.  80-90% of the beer vendors that come by my seats  are just selling the domestics.   Then the ones  that do have craft brew are usually just selling some sort of hop bomb from FD.   Would love to see them selling some Hefeweizens or other Wheat bears these would be great for the summer.  Cross Bones would be a great local beer to sell as well if you still wanted to get some hops action. 

All this beer talk is making me thirsty.

#46 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Bring back the 24 oz cans and I don't care what type of beer it is.

• Icterus galbula and NewMarketSean like this

#47 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:05 PM

I can't take your comment about Boh being a shitty beer  seriously when you follow it up with post saying how great Coors Light is.

Having said that, the beer isn't anything great but as far as a  main stream beer goes I don't think it's bad.  Looked it up and it's been 2 decades since it's been brewed in Baltimore, and now it's owned by the Russians. This Baltimore brew lost it's "local" card years ago.  Some will bemoan it's lost, but it doesn't bother me.  I was more bummed when they got rid of the stand on Eutaw street that had Guiness, Harp and Smithwicks.

Honestly the beer scene at the yard is pretty crappy.  Most games I'm there with one of my kids so I can't walk halfway around the stadium to the 3rd base pub just to get.  80-90% of the beer vendors that come by my seats  are just selling the domestics.   Then the ones  that do have craft brew are usually just selling some sort of hop bomb from FD.   Would love to see them selling some Hefeweizens or other Wheat bears these would be great for the summer.  Cross Bones would be a great local beer to sell as well if you still wanted to get some hops action. 

Compared to other stadiums the selection at OPACY, considering you may have to hunt for the craft stuff, is pretty great. Remember that "craft beer" stand at Yankee Stadium? Yankee Stadium! Where there are probably two dozen microbreweries within two hours drive that have great beer! And their craft beer stand consisted of Blue Moon!

It'll be interesting to see what the Leinenkugel's stand is selling. Hopefully some Canoe Paddler.

#48 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 01:06 PM

Bring back the 24 oz cans and I don't care what type of beer it is.

This.

That was the best bargain going so of course they had to get rid of it, right when my wife got me a 24 oz coozie for Christmas the winter before it disappeared. I went to the MD game at the arena last year and they were selling 24 oz cans of Bud Light for $9.50. I thought I died and went to heaven.

#49 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:11 PM

Coor

s Light

I can't take your comment about Boh being a shitty beer seriously when you follow it up with post saying how great Coors Light is.

Having said that, the beer isn't anything great but as far as a main stream beer goes I don't think it's bad. Looked it up and it's been 2 decades since it's been brewed in Baltimore, and now it's owned by the Russians. This Baltimore brew lost it's "local" card years ago. Some will bemoan it's lost, but it doesn't bother me. I was more bummed when they got rid of the stand on Eutaw street that had Guiness, Harp and Smithwicks.

Honestly the beer scene at the yard is pretty crappy. Most games I'm there with one of my kids so I can't walk halfway around the stadium to the 3rd base pub just to get. 80-90% of the beer vendors that come by my seats are just selling the domestics. Then the ones that do have craft brew are usually just selling some sort of hop bomb from FD. Would love to see them selling some Hefeweizens or other Wheat bears these would be great for the summer. Cross Bones would be a great local beer to sell as well if you still wanted to get some hops action.

As far as beer vendors go, I think some having Blue Moon and FD Snake Dog (I wouldn't call that a hop bomb ) is likely better or equal to most parks.

I think there's a decent selection at the stands as well featuring Flying Dog, Heavy Seas, and Dogfish.

#50 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

Boh is local. Try ordering one in Wisconsin, or NC, or Georgia.
@BSLMikeRandall

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

But it doesn't bother me that it's not at the stadium. I'd want bang for my buck if I'm paying $8-$9. Snake Dog fits the bill.
  • Chris B likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#52 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

Boh is local. Try ordering one in Wisconsin, or NC, or Georgia.

Not what I'd consider local.

Anyway, you can get it in NC. 

#53 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:53 PM

It's consumed locally. Similar to something like Eskay. Moved out of MD years ago, still in every store in MD and probably eaten more here than where it's made. I am as big on true local beers as the next guy, but just because something crossed a state line doesn't make it any less local than it was before if the primary market remains the same. Sure it would be nice to keep the jobs, I grant you that. The natty boh logo is as identifiable as the oriole bird or the MD turtle.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#54 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

It's consumed locally. Similar to something like Eskay. Moved out of MD years ago, still in every store in MD and probably eaten more here than where it's made.

I am as big on true local beers as the next guy, but just because something crossed a state line doesn't make it any less local than it was before if the primary market remains the same. Sure it would be nice to keep the jobs, I grant you that.

The natty boh logo is as identifiable as the oriole bird or the MD turtle.

It's certainly identifiable as local, but I don't get you saying that where it's made is irrelevant to how local it is.

#55 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:36 PM

If old bay moved to NC and kept same ingredients would that make it any less loved and used in Md?
  • Chris B likes this

#56 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,363 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:39 PM

If old bay moved to NC and kept same ingredients would that make it any less loved and used in Md?

Not sure, but it absolutely would make it less local.

The Colts moving changed a lot even though the horseshoe was still very locally identifiable.

#57 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:44 PM

National Boh is the Colts of beer... but there's no obvious bad guy, it's just corporate machinations, so people don't realize....

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,560 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:55 PM

People liked Bud, Coors and Miller more. Especially at the price point. Thanks Pedro. What happened with Boh is not unlike what happened to a lot of regional brews in the 70's and 80's. It just happened. Glad we at least get to experience Boh in some regard. Although it would be nice if we could somehow get some batches brewed in MD again. Last I knew it was being bottled at Lion Brewery in Scranton. Not sure where it's canned. NC or Wisconsin I think.

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Boh is a Maryland beer. Semantics. Just like Old Style is a Chicago beer even though Pabst bought them up too and moved it to who knows where.

They make Sam Adams in Cincinnati. I'm sure they aren't calling it "theirs" in Ohio.

@BSLMikeRandall

#60 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

Boh is a Maryland beer. Semantics. Just like Old Style is a Chicago beer even though Pabst bought them up too and moved it to who knows where.

They make Sam Adams in Cincinnati. I'm sure they aren't calling it "theirs" in Ohio.

They're not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=